Topic

New Sawyer 2014 MINI Filter on Sale

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals New Sawyer 2014 MINI Filter on Sale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=206

mini

$24

Limited Quantity: We expect these to go fast.

We also have the extra Sawyer bags in stock- YES, these are the newest tough bags.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

That looks pretty nice

Just like the Squeeze, except it weighs 1.4 ounce instead of 3 ounces

Is that 1.4 ounce dry weight?

You can either screw it on a bottle or do inline

A little cheaper than the Squeeze

Why is it lighter weight? Is the filter media smaller? Is the case smaller?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

What is the retail price? Looking around the web it appears to be $24.99 retail, with free shipping (weeks) on Ebay.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

A review of the Mini is here and answers some questions above:

http://sticksblog.com/2013/09/18/first-look-the-sawyer-mini-water-filter/

MLD has it for $24.

Looks like the same filter, lighter case, inline connection and screw-on connection on both sides. Looks good!

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Wow, its hard not to own a filter now at this price. It was already a favorite and now its lighter and cheaper. What's not to love about this?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I looked at sticksblog

1.8 ounces wet (after you shake it out "like a madman")

maybe 2 ounces in a freezer zip top bag

Stick said case was clear. I wonder if you can see the filter media?

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

That's an awesome price. Gonna have to pick one up and give my regular Squeeze to my parents to use!

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Highwaterfilters has it available for pre-order (expected to ship on the 24th) for $22
    highwater

Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Locale: Bay Area

I blew out the original washer on my Squeeze last weekend. That's all the excuse I needed.

Jesse D.
    BPL Member

@upcountry

Locale: Lassen Co.

Well I was just way too excited about my new Squeeze and then I see this…. I jumped the gun by about a week it seems. Might have to justify gifting that to a friend and picking up a Mini.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Cool. I just ordered one. Better hurry!

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I'll wait, can't filter snow. :) Only a few bucks savings.
    Duane

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

We will start shipping tomorrow! Also check our FB page for more info.mini2

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Bought n paid!

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

I'm curious if Smartwater bottle sport caps still work with the new filter as a backflush? Anyone know this?

TIA

KJ

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Seeing that I purchased my Sawyer three months ago, it only makes sense that I just ordered the mini.

I really need a 12 step program..

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Well, I might be the only BPLer who is glad they held off on getting the original squeeze! ;)

Lighter, more compact, more versatile, female threads and nipples on inlet and outlet. Seems like a perfect revision to the squeeze. I wonder if they're even going to continue making the original squeeze as this one seems better in every way.

Re backflushing: Since it has internal threads on the outlet, can't you use any bottle it'll screw onto to backflush it now? Or with a bladder system by connecting the drink tube to the outlet nipple (of course, do NOT use your dirty water bag to backflush!)? If so, yet another significant advantage over the original squeeze.

Definitely time for me to upgrade my water filter!

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Had been holding off on getting a Sawyer, so this was perfect timing. For solo trips I generally just drink untreated water (usually OK here in NZ) and use tablets to treat a bulk load overnight. However, the Sawyer mini should be great for family trips when I like to treat water and people don't always want to wait 15-30 minutes for their drink:).

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

amazon has it going for 19.95 plus 4.95 shipping.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Where are you seeing it on amazon? When I do a search for it, it comes up as unavailable with no price listed. Can you link, please?

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

there were 6 this morning at that price. you can get them at gossamer gear for 27.95 shipped with the discount.

Jeanine Taylor
    BPL Member

@jetaylor

Locale: Oregon

Two-pack sold on Amazon for $42.58 plus $5.99 shipping. Looks like the new one. No reviews.

Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Locale: Bay Area

I too saw it yesterday on amazon for $20 plus $5 shipping. I can't find it now though. It was a third party seller. Right now all I can find is this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/averPak-Pack-Includes-Sawyer-Filter/dp/B00FBBANFK/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1379688447&sr=1-4&keywords=sawyer+mini

This page has a picture of it, but when you click through nobody is selling it. Maybe they went out of stock since yesterday.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sawyer+mini&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asawyer+mini

I bought from MLD.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Questions I sent to SAWYER and their answer as of 20Sept2013 concerning the filter:

Is the new Sawyer MINI™ Filter Hollow Fiber Membrane mass and volume the same as the Original Sawyer Squeeze Filter?

Would the performance and duration between back flushing be comparable?

SAWYER RESPONSE>>>>>>No, it’s about ½ which means you will clean it twice as often but the performance (removal rates) are the same.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Clarification on Ken's Post:

The 1/2 reference is only pertaining to backflush frequency.

The backflushing frequency would be increased in the weight savings of a smaller more compact filter, but if you prefilter silty water then you do not have to do it too often. Plus- back flushing is incredibly easy with this filter. So, even if it is a full double the amount of backflushing is not really a problem because it was never a problem at 2X.

On flow rate, is a wee bit less than the Squeeze but not much – I can suck through it OK using the straw.

Maybe clearing up a few other posts – A few sellers should have them now (or soon) and we for sure have then right now – I just packed up an order that came in 2min ago and it's heading off to the PO soon.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools