Topic

R.I.P. Colin Fletcher

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique R.I.P. Colin Fletcher

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Lorraine Pace

@sowthefrikan

It's hard to live in Africa and not take to the veld, so was hiking long before I had ever heard of Colin. I chanced upon 'The Complete Walker IV' in Texas about three years ago and was riveted, read it cover to cover. Having hiked for decades I pretty much thought I knew most of it but still found new things and besides, it was such a good read. He led a life that meant something.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Ever read Fletcher's "Mara". It's about his adventures in the Mara Reserve.

Simon Harding

@simonharding

I got into backpacking. My dad bought The Complete Walker in preparation for or shortly after his mid seventies PCT through hike with my oldest brother. I devoured it. I've read most, if not all of his books. His common sense, his writing style and his sense of humor made me want to meet him, simply to thank him. I hope Chip Rawlins will carry on his work with The Complete Walker V in a few years.

I was aware of the accident and had wondered about him a few times over the past few years. Yesterday I wodnered about him, and so today, did a search and stumbled here.

He's the reason I found this website and this forum.

So yet again, I owe him, and will think of him as my wife and I backpack the Sky lakes Wilderness in mid August.

Simon

Jake Goldstein

@drjbg301

The coming of Spring has me again re-reading the The Complete Walker IV, as I have done with the previous versions in the past. I never saw anything about Mr. Fletcher's death last summer and just happened to be searching today to see the latest about him. It's a sad night. He was one of my heroes of a sort. His books inspired me to do a solo trip up Mt. Whitney many years ago and I carry with me many of his words and ideas when hiking. I'm thankful for Colin Fletcher and I believe the world is a little better for having had him.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools