Topic

winter shoe question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) winter shoe question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

After fixing an IT band issue, I'm ready to start snowshoeing again this winter. I'm looking to replace the boots I use in winter – Kayland Apex Rock boots. They're heavy! My winter trips include day snowshoeing trips with the possibility of using crampons and multi-day snowshoe trips. Traveling through snow on the multi day trips and up mountains on the day trips. Temps are usually not below 20 degrees during the day, but can get lower. I guess what I'm really looking for is a lighter weight shoe or boot if needed for snowshoeing that would be stiff enough that I could use it with strap crampons if needed. Any suggestions?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Cabelas online catalog has by far the biggest selection of insulated outdoor boots around and a great garantee.
    If it ain't there you may have in mind something nobody yet makes.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

for 20F temps you really don't need heavily insulated boots. There are a ton of light weight boots paired with a thin neoprene sock (like NRS Hydroskins) that should work. If the soles are stiff enough you can add some insoles or make your own out of thin stiff plastics.

Lots of people snow shoe with their trail runners.

Matthew Bradley

@patojo

Locale: Berkshire County

I have worn a pair of Lowa Tridents the past couple of seasons and love them. I bought a pair of Superfeet merinoGREY insoles this past winter and they did the trick on the job as a snowmaker, too.

Merrell also makes a couple of models, and Salewa has a nifty looking model with an integral gaiter.

Some folks go with pac boots. I would prefer not to be out all day snowshoeing in a pair of pac boots given an equally insulated option. I prefer a more rigid and less bulky boot. Pac boots aren’t terrible, though. And some of them integrate a notch above the heel to help keep your snowshoe binding in place back there, which is a nice feature.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools