Topic

SEKI Trip the last week of September

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists SEKI Trip the last week of September

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I will be in the SEKI area and on the JMT around Evolution Valley and Goddard Canyon from September 26th to October 1st. My gear list is in my profile. Much of the gear is the same that I used in RMNP earlier this year, in Wind River Range in 2012, and in the JMT in 2011, but all of those trips were earlier in the year.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Nights will probably be pretty cold up in Evolution Valley, especially if you're going up near Wanda Lake… Your skin-out base weight seems to be about 17-18 pounds, which many would feel is on the heavy side, esp. since I didn't see any toiletries, first aid, etc.. It seems like there are some multiples (hat/balaclava, several shirts) that you might take a second look at… Your rain pants, while light, don't get very good reviews — perhaps a cuben rain kilt instead? I'd probably do one pair of slightly warmer gloves (I'm easily chilled, though).

Otherwise, it looks like you've got most of the necessaries covered. Just went through there mid-August. Too bad the scenery is so ugly! ;~)

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Looks reasonable to me. I think you have about the right amount of clothes for late September. Personally I wouldn't bring the Goosefeet, shell gloves, or rain pants. You have enough fleece to keep you warm if you get wet with the Capilene 4 stuff. And those Powerstretch gloves will be just fine, that's what I use. Is your hat redundant with the two balaclavas?

You would be fine with the Spinnshelter which would save you ~10 oz. I've had it in unexpected Sierra snow storms before and it performed just fine.

It's been very windy here lately – gusts to 40 mph last night up near Granite Park. And there is the possibility of a light dusting of snow in the forecast for some areas for this weekend. Keep an eye on the weather when you are out there and be prepared to hunker down for an extra day.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Im headed that way the same time, out of North Lake, Lemark Col (sp). Debating on the TT Squall or BD Hilight. 15 degree bag for sure.
    Duane

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I am going to have a heavier baseweight on this trip than I have had on all of my previous trips since about 2007. On my last trip on the JMT in 2011 my base weight was under 10 pounds but since then my SMD Swift '10 (the older frameless one) has given up the ghost which I am taking a 3lb McHale pack this trip. I am also taking a heavier shelter, or at least thinking about it. I have used the SpinnShelter as my primary solo shelter since 2008, and it has done the JMT, the Winds, hundreds of miles on the southern half of the AT, and other various trips in the Southeast. On my trip to RMNP this summer I used the Golite SL5 as a test for a roomy two person shelter but it is too much for solo use. I picked up a Golite SL2 last year off gear swap and I have used it half a dozen times here though not in any kind of wind or snow. I figured the SL2 would offer better weather protection and has more room to wait out a storm inside.

I also changed from a foam mat to a 20oz downmat. I really liked the foam pad fine but it was just so bulky. I used a Ridgerest when cansiters were not required and a zlite when they were as the bear can and ridgerest wouldn't both fit.

I also changed out my rain mitts since 2011. I used to have the MLD mitts but they delaminated and I replaced them with the heavier Tuff Bags. I wish there was a good in mitt in between those two.

I used the Golite Reeds in the years before but the DWR was gone and I was looking for something lighter. I didn't take rain pants in 2011 but it was a month earlier in the year too. I do have the old Golite Reeds I could take or a pair of Mont Bell windpants.

I know the Sat Phone is heavy but I usually take it when we go off trail and I need to stay in touch with work this trip so unfortunately it has to go this time.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

The forcast as of now shows temps around 60 during the day and 30 at night at 10k feet. I would be very happy with that but I had nights down to the low 20's in 2011 and this is a month earlier. It does show high winds which I guess I should expect.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Ive hit single digits in early Oct. out of Horseshoe Meadow, around Sky Blue and Crabtree Meadow. Not a soul around. Luckily my WM Apache (15F) bag made it with help from my jacket draped over it and the Pocket Rocket worked with a little nudge from body heat.
    Duane

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

This is the season when lots of summer backpackers get lured in there with a sense that it is still summer weather, and they get a storm that dumps snow with 10F temperatures. That's what makes them statistics.

–B.G.–

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Ive gotten ready for trips by Silver Lake headed up to 1000 Lakes and shivered looking at the tents set up across the road in the CG, white with frost. Further up along the trail, ice along the creek. Early Oct. once again. Saw 6 people the whole 6 days out into Ansel Adams.
    Duane

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

We need some ice and frost like that to separate the men from the boys.

–B.G.–

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

The weather has taken a turn south the past few days. I am thinking of going with a Patagonia Wool 1 Longsleeve or a Smartwool Lightweight Longsleeve for my hiking shirt, and also considering the Patagonia Rock Guides instead of the Rail Riders pants.

Current forecast at 10K ft

Thursday: A 20 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 36. Breezy, with a north wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.

Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 22. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Friday: Sunny, with a high near 45. Northeast wind around 10 mph.

Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 29. East northeast wind around 10 mph.

Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 50. Calm wind.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 33. East wind around 5 mph.
    Sunday Sunny, with a high near 52. West northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the morning.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I just came back from there.

Friday night on the drive up from Fresno, saw a mountain lion directly in front of my car. Wow.

Saturday early evening, got light hail at 6500'.

Sunday morning, everything was frozen.

Sunday afternoon, more weather was coming in and the temperature was dropping, so I left.

–B.G.–

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I have never seen a Mountain Lion and am not sure I would want to while backpacking. I did see a large animal in RMNP that I thought was a light colored bear, but it didn't walk like a bear. It was too far away to get a positive ID on it.

You aren't making me feel good about the weather! With the gear I am taking I should be comfortable down to 15* or so and would be able to push lower in a pinch. It will be a shock coming from the hot and humid Southeast though.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

If I am heading out and suddenly the weather forecast gets suspicious, I just increase my fuel load somewhat. That way, I can have more hot drinks when in camp, and that's about all it takes to augment my normal clothing to be more comfortable.

–B.G.–

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools