Topic

Toaks Ti bowls, 38-39 grams

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Toaks Ti bowls, 38-39 grams

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

Has anyone tried the Toaks Ti Bowls at 38g and 39g, $15 each? At those weights, better be cooking water only, or scorching will be easy to do.

http://toaksoutdoor.com/tableware.aspx

At only 2" or 1 7/8 inches tall, either will use a short, light Caldera Cone, without the side cut out for handles. Yes, a bail handle will need to be installed, no big deal on Ti that thin.

My calcs in inches and ounces are 13.9 oz of volume on each of them. One is slightly smaller but taller, the other has the reverse proportions.

Disclaimer: I have no relationship, no mutual interest, nor contact with the business selling these bowls. I have not ever ordered any of their products, but I might. Since there was no promoting them as new products, I assumed that they had been available for awhile.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I don't understand…. Is it just for eating out of or something? I don't see any real use for it other than that.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

These are alternatives to the Snowpeak titanium bowl. These are lighter in weight, probably thinner metal, and less volume. These are used as simple cook pots.

–B.G.–

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

The pots are about the same as aluminum in weight. Likely they are stronger, though. One of the problems with making thinwalled ti is it's tendancy to tear when pressing it. I would guess that these are heated much hotter to acheive this. So, the price to manufacture them is the same, maybe slightly more.

I really like the idea of getting down to the same weights as aluminum, though. Few, if any, ti pots can match the aluminum for weight per volume. For example, the 1.7L aluminum pot I use weighs about 5.75 ounces(top and bail included.) This gives a ratio of about 3.38oz/L. (I know mixing Metric and English, again.) The .9L grease pot is about 3.25oz including top or a ratio of 3.58oz/L. Even though they are thin walled, the TOAK products do not quite achieve this at 7.4oz/1.6L, or 4.63oz/L and the 1.3L pot, at 5.0oz, works out to 3.85oz/L.

The bowels are really small for boiling water at 2"/1-7/8" height and the small volume precludes cooking. But these are lighter when you consider it would take about 2.35 of them to make up a liter, or a ratio of about 3.19oz/L. Of course, you still need a top and a bail handle to handle them, but as the OP suggested, a bail handle could be added for a 12oz capacity. And aluminum foil could be used as a top. But, this increases the weight per liter ratio to about 4.02oz/L (assuming a total of 5gm added.)

Scorching is a problem with hot spots developing easily if you do any cooking as was mentioned. If all you do is drink one cup of coffee in the morning and only do boil'n'dump meals, you could probably get away with it. The wider bottom likely eans a little higher efficiency compared with a beer can pot.

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

dry baking?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

The bowls are pretty small.

The pots all have integrated handles.

I too am looking for something that would be a good match to go inside of a Vargo 1.3 liter pot. (That doesn't cost $60.)

A word of caution. Vendors are not careful with their dimensions. You need to clarify what parts are measured for both the inside diameter and outside diameters.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The snowpeak bowl is big and $16.95 at REI. I'm on the road so I don't have the specs at hand. It is perfectly useable as a pot using a grabber or you can add your own bail wire. I've never understood why they aren't more popular in the UL world. I believe there is a Caldera Cone available for them too. It should make a good pairing with a 1.3 liter pot.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools