Topic

Metal tube

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Metal tube

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

I am starting to work on an idea and I need small food-safe metal tubing with a OD under 1/4" and as thin of a sidewall as possible.

The problem is every "metal" site I go to looks like my little brother designed it and my "Spidey-sense" won't let me enter my CC information.

Does anyone have a source that they have used confidently that may stock small gauge metal tubing as described?

Thanks.

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

Mcmaster-carr is definitely credible.

I would buy from (maybe have??) onlinemetal.com

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Thanks James,

Mcmaster-Carr would have been my "go-to", but they don't seem to carry anything smaller than 1/4 OD in material appropriate for food contact.

onlinemetal.com was one of the sites that gave me the heebie-jeebies, so I am glad to hear they are an actual business and not a guy in his basement with a CC reader. :)

Any other suggestions?

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

McMaster-Carr has a wide variety of stainless tubing. A lot is less than 1/4"
    It can be boiled to sterilize it if this is a problem.

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

James!

When I searched McMaster-Carr stainless I was looking in "round tube".

Turns out there was a separate category labeled "small-diameter round tube" and "miniature round tube".

Thanks to all the James that made this possible!

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Do a web search fro hypodermic tubing. Ultra tough & stiff steel, thin walled tubing and they can come in larger diameters. Best regards – Jon

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Thanks Jon.

I would not have thought about that as a search term, but it has opened up a whole bunch of possibilities.

A tip of the hat to the letter "J".

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Ive purchased several items of round stock at various times in the past from onlinemetals.com to turn parts.

Totally satisfied with them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools