Topic

160 quarantined after boy who ate marmot meat dies of bubonic plague in Kyrgyzstan

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion 160 quarantined after boy who ate marmot meat dies of bubonic plague in Kyrgyzstan

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

more at the link ….

http://tinyurl.com/nork3up

Four people have been hospitalized and 160 quarantined after a 15-year-old boy who ate marmot meat died of the bubonic plague last week, the Kyrgyz Ministry of Health said Wednesday.

The ministry in the Central Asian nation said the boy told medics he spent the previous week camping in the mountains where he had eaten barbecued marmot, a large ground squirrel that typically lives in mountainous areas.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

chanff

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Eric you're becoming the Majid of BPL man… seriously.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

That twice Eric reported on issues with Marmot this week.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I enjoy Eric's posts.

Far more interesting to me than a discussion on socks for the JMT, a "help me find a new backpack" thread, or a discussion about backcountry deodorant.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

This is an oddly worded report. Not Eric's posting (those are odd enough on their own), but the cut&paste. To focus on eating the marmot (meat) which isn't the problem. Dead marmots aren't appealing to the fleas that had been on them (and I've long wondered about fleas getting knocked off of small game when they are hit my a high-speed bullet). The next mammal to come along is the human hunter. The fleas are looking for a new host. Potentially bad news for the hunter.

I met some bubonic plague researchers on a ferry into to PCT last year through Desolation Wilderness. They were off to trap various rodents to collect samples. Apparently, current thought is that the reservoir is in hamsters (of all things) in Asia. Like rabies in some bat species and to a lesser extent in skunks, plague can remain stable in some species until conditions are right for it to make a species jump and cause an epidemic in other animals.

I remember plague being an issue in Lava Beds National Monument in the early 1990's.

Last year we got a call from the NPS about having stayed in the Signature Tent Cabins in Curry Village and the Hanta Virus that had infected 10 people and killed three, including one that also stayed in Cabin #913, like we did.

It doesn't stop me from returning – I've got reservation for Curry Village in 4 weeks, but I do track any little cough or fever more closely now, often seeing a doctor every day during and after such a trip.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Stephen…..LOL!!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I just had to say that Trav, I am on holiday in Vegas and have one or two drinks.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i was debating about putting this in Food, Hydration, and Nutrition …

there have been discussions of flambe marmot before to save the food weight … after all marmots are a source of natural organic free range protein …

i think this article is quite relevant for those that might want to acquire their own food sources on the trail … after all fishing and small game hunting is an accepted part of BPL and weight saving

i dont see marmots as being any different

;)

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

When I worked on the Navajo reservation in the 1980's they had an outbreak. Seems the sheep are stabled next to the hogans and the fleas went through the walls into the living area and since the beds are on earthen shelves up against the walls all the bedding was infested……ugh!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Just be aware of the reporting bias. If I die while driving to the trailhead, none of you will read about it on the news. If I undercook some bear meat and succumb to trichinosis, you also probably won't hear anything. Whereas if my buddy uses his .338 to make a marmot really, really dead and I die of bubonic plague, that WILL be national news. But I'm just as dead, in any of those scenarios.

Another 8 people dead today on the nation's highways – no news.

Two tourists die last month when a 777 pilot biffs a landing at SFO and everyone hears about it.

8>2.

25,000 highway deaths/year > 15 commercial airline deaths/year.

Dead is dead. Let's stop glorifying dead stockbrokers who died when 95 stories of building landed on them and let's consider all deaths, even of mothers, children and the elderly as all being tragic.

Sorry, I'm in a bad mood today. I try to fly on 9-11 because the fares are down and the lines are short. Instead, I'm at home, remembering some friends and family I wish were still with me.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

I mean zz plaque.. pleaase

YouTube video

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

So…what's the warrenty on this Marmot, Eric?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools