Topic

A Question for You Science-Minded Folks…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) A Question for You Science-Minded Folks…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

They're is a high resistance when blowing up a neoair which is annoying.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Michael
    Try the Instaflator (could be a DIY project)
    You can safely cut a couple of feet or more from it

YouTube video

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

For what it's worth, I've never had a noise issue with my Exped SynMat UL 7. And I roll in my sleep all night long. On the REI website, 72 reviews with no one complaining about noise. And those people complain about the littlest things!

To address the OP's issue, I'm sure it's weight and reliability factors that keep the feature-count low on TAR mats. They've got a good product and I'd be surprised if they're not paying close attention to their customer satisfaction surveys. Your needs are not shared by the majority of their market, so I wouldn't be holding your breath waiting for a redesign.

DIY? Maybe someone could donate an old patched-up TAR for you to play doctor with.

In the meantime, I'll be getting a great night's sleep on my Exped and showing off my Schnozzel to everyone.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Genuinely glad you enjoy your Synmat, Daniel…I wish I felt the same, but I'm actually not the only person who feels this way. It doesn't mean you're "wrong" if you hear the noise — people's hearing varies, as does people's tendency to be a "light" or "sound" sleeper.

REI review complaining about the noise of the UL Synmat(it was the 3rd one down):

By Krawl
    from Wyoming
    About Me Casual/ Recreational
    Site Member

Pros
    Comfortable
    Easy To Inflate
    Lightweight
    Packs Easily
    Small / Compact

Cons
    Noisy

Best Uses
    3 Season Camping
    Backpacking

Comments about Exped SynMat UL 7 Air Pad:

Used the Synmat UL7 on a 5 night trip in the Wind River Range in Wyoming in August. It is everything you've read…comfortable, light weight, easy to inflate, and warm. However, it is quite noisy. Any slight movement causes the mat to rub against the tent floor and creates a rubbing noise loud enough to wake a tent partner. I put my clothing under the mat and this helped reduce noise, and I might try covering the mat with a sleeping bag liner next trip out. I'd go as far as to recommend earplugs when using the Synmat.

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

D'oh! Missed that one. Maybe the noise level is a function of tent-floor material. I'll tell you mine is nearly silent on Tyvek and Sylnylon, and linoleum. Of course, we should also consider the sleeper's weight. I'm around 145 lbs, soaking wet. Heavier folks might get more noise out of it.

Anthony Meaney
    BPL Member

@ameaney

Locale: Canada

I don't have the Synmat but I had a similar problem with the Big Agnes Clearview (which failed dramatically on the second trip I took with it).

It was very noisy – whenever you moved it sounded like someone rubbing an inflated balloon. It used to wake me up all the time. I could have sent it back to Big Agnes for repairs I suppose, but I was happy to switch to a more silent pad.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

The valve is fine. Pretty simple and reliable. Much better than the first good inflatable… the Berkeley Air Lift. Those babies had 9 one-way valves. You Pilgrims have it easy theses days.

David Ure

@familyguy

Compared to the NeoAir, the SynMat is completely silent.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools