Topic

synthetic post…3 items questioned

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) synthetic post…3 items questioned

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I am going to ask about a few different synthetic items in this one post. Sorry if its been posted before buy things change and new items come out.
    #1. Favorite synthetic lightweight vest?
    #2. Favorite synthetic lightweight jacket?
    #3. Do they make synthetic lightweight booties?

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

#1: REI Revelcloud Vest. Not really any better (or worse) than any other Primaloft synthetic vest on the market, but it does come cheaply: REI frequently marks these down to $70 or $50 depending on when you buy and what colors you can tolerate. The pockets are excellent and I like the snug fit around the arms for the arm holes.

#2: Patagonia Nano Puff Hoody. As a hiker this thing rocks. It is highly wind-resistant, layers well under things, and best of all, is hooded. I also have the FA Accelerant (too cold), Arcteryx Atom LT (sides aren't windproof) and Patagonia Micro Puff (too warm) and the Nano Puff is my go-to layer for my 3-season backpacking needs. Rock and ice climbing on the other hand, is when those other shells get to come out and play.

#3: Not a clue.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

#1 … whatever is on sale and hopefully has PL1

#2 … whatever is on sale and hopefully has PL1

#3 … no clue

why sales? … if you use synthetics regularly every day in the outdoors and in town … they wont last too long

think of synthetics as a disposable layer, youll use it, youll abuse it, youll wear it out, youll kill the loft …

so buy it on sale …

save your $$$$ for down

;)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Rab Generator vest and Arcteryx Atom Sv hoody syn garments.

Integral Design hot socks are made of primaloft.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

+1 for Arcteryx Atom SV Hoodie, I absolutely love mine.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

Do you guys use your SV Hoodies for 3-season use? I have one and while I like it a lot, it only comes out to play in late fall and when winter is in full swing.

Jason Robichaud
    BPL Member

@j4design_build

I'm in the same boat. It is a great hoodie but I really only use it for urban, late fall-early spring city use. I rarely take it into the mountains. For 1LB one can find a warm/waterproof system much more adaptable than a single jacket.

p.s. – I own it now but have owned it while living in NewEngland. Not much has changed even though my local has.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

The rab xenon has been a great piece for me going on almost two years. Its not as warm as it once was and its held together by gorilla tape at this point, but I'd still say its warm enough for what I use it for (summer backpacking, bc skiing, rock/ice climbing–intermediate layer)

Its a very warm and weatherproof jacket for the weight, especially when it was new. The newer version of the xenon ads a couple oz, so consider looking for the discontinued model.

If I were getting a synthetic piece today it'd be the arc teryx nuclei hoody or the mountain hardwear thermostatic hoody (fall 13 model), both about 10oz. Tried both on, and I'm confident either would suit my purposes well. The arc teryx especially with the non-stitchthrough design (better wind resistance). Wonder how the shell material compares to the xenon.

For a three season synthetic piece, I think a 60gram primaloft hoody around 10-11, is a good bet. I have a lightweight, but much warmer down hoody that I can pair it with when it gets truly cold.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

1. ArcTeryx Atom vest. I think of a synthetic vest as something to wear on the move, so I don't mind the non-insulated sides. Plus, I got it on sale.

2. First Ascent Igniter. It lists at 14 oz (and I can't remember what I weighed my older version at, maybe 15 oz) but for a few extra ounces in weight, you bump up to 100g of Primaloft 1. Also found this on sale as EB seems to have good annual sales, often including FA stuff. For warm-weather / 3 season, though, I'm more likely to use down.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I've got the Atom LT vest and like it. If you catch it on sale I'd sale its definitely worth it. Its probably not as warm as some other vests since it has the stretchy side panels but if you're moving the extra breathability is nice.

Right now I've just got a Thru-hiker Kinsman jacket with 1.8oz Primaloft. Its very loose fitting for layering and is really warm, but its definitely not something I'd wear around town. It weighs 10.8 ounces but has no pockets and I wish it had a hood. I've tried on a Nanopuff and didn't like the fit so I'm still searching. The Arcteryx Atom LT and Nuclei and OR Halogen all look intriguing.

Adam

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Stephen,

I use the Sv mainly for winter, usually paired ip with a light down piece.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I only have one vest and it is part of my REI spruce run jacket. Not the lightest but the arms and hood zip off so it is both #1 and #2 for me…

although I do have a Montbell Thermawrap that I like pretty well for #2

Benjamin Meadors
    Spectator

@thebentern

Locale: Central Arkansas

My #2 is a Mountain Hardwear Compressor PL jacket. Fairly light weight, warm, and has a great cut.
    Unfortunately, MH makes the current Compressor out of their proprietary 'Thermal Q' insulation. You can still find the older Primaloft versions on eBay / Gear Swap from time to time though.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

I like my Mountain Hardwear Compressor Primaloft (100g) jacket as well. Cut the shockcord off from neck and waist so my small weighs 350g/12.35oz. I'd love a lighter, hooded version but they're so expensive. But i figure, if it's cold enough to need an integrated hood, a lighter jacket (say, 60g) probably won't be enough insulation.

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

Like most of you, the Atom SV only comes out when its under 40 degrees out- but I do use it as a midlayer for sub-zero days when skiing inbounds.

I have a Patagonia UL hoody that is much lighter, yet seemingly less warm, that I use when backpacking.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Returned the thermostatic jacket because I picked up an absolute mint Rab Xenon hooded jacket off of geartrade.com for only $85 shipped.

It's an awesomely warm jacket for how light it is (10.75 oz on my scale) with a hood and hand warmer pockets with insulation both sides of the pocket.

It uses Pertex Quantum GL for the shell material and Primaloft One inside.

The nice part is that it's minimally quilted, so the Primaloft can loft fully, unlike with the maximum quiltedness of the nanopuff.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I've had a pair of synthetic booties since the 1990s — I only ever wore them for winter backpacking in NH, and they worked just fine!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools