Topic

Long Shot: Toe Sock Durability?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Long Shot: Toe Sock Durability?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I don't know if anyone's gonna have info on this:

I have a lot of wool socks. Fox River and Darn Tough hold up forever. However, my Smartwool PHD socks are durable, and my Smartwool Non-PHD socks all have holes.

I really, really want durable Merino toe socks for running and wearing my Vibrams. My Smartwool PhD Lightweight Run socks are showing great durability, but I'm getting between-toe blisters on long runs and I can't use them with vibrams. Anyone know if the Smartwool PhD toe socks are durable? I have the Non-PHD ones and there's holes on all kinds of rub spots. I don't want to drop more money on something that lasts 3 months.

Let me know,
    Max

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've been running in Five Fingers for over a year. Most of the time I don't wear socks, but I've found the injinji socks do well for me when I do on those colder/wetter days. They've held up well. I wear the light or ultralight ones.
    I've tried the smart wool ones but have had two of them unravel at the toe the first time wearing them.

The Injinji hiker merino or merino blends are nice, too, but a bit thicker. They hold up well in hiking boots during the colder seasons (backpack in five fingers, too when it's nice out).

You can get them really cheap on sierra trading post with their email coupons and free shipping if you buy through their mobile app.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

I am gonna give the Injinji Trail Midweight a shot instead of smartwool, then. Looks like 50% "NuWool" and 50% Nylon. Not as odor-fighting as I would like, but we'll see.

Open to other suggestions. I will buy the winning sock in bulk (3-4 pairs) and live out of them, so I wanna get this right.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I purchased a pair of Injinji Run 2.0 back in June and have already blown a hole in the big toe and they're beginning to go threadbare in some areas. Durability isn't very good IME. These weren't worn with Vibram FF, but my usual trail running shoes.

I've run in just about every sock imaginable over the last 6 years or so and can tell you that the Injinji 2.0 is probably one of the least durable socks I've owned. Durability be damned, I'll be purchasing a new pair of Injini 2.0 soon because they do the job of keeping my feet happy.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Hopefully the Trail will hold up better. Research tells me the Run 2.0 is 27% nylon and 68% NuWool, and the Trail is closer to 50/50.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Same experience as Eugene here:
    Love the Injinji's, but durability is terrible. I'm guessing around 100 to 150 miles from a pair before I get holes under the ball of my foot.

That said, they're $10-12, they work (while they work), and I only wear them on longer trips/events so I can stretch the durability some. Cost of running.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Anyone have a long-term test of Smartwool PhD toe socks?

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

My one and only pair of Injinjis (Merino) lasted for one four day hike before I blew a hole in the big toe of one and the elastic at the top went in the other one. It was a wet muddy hike, but I wasn't impressed. The synth ones are meant to hold up better, especially the new versions.

Now using Defeet Wooleaters and they seem very tough.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

I don't have long-term experience with PHD toe socks, but thats because mine developed holes (both socks) after using them once. I've got the unfortunate addiction to toe socks as well. Injiji's aren't very durable, but way more than my pair of PHD's. Strangely, my thinner injiji's seem to last longer than the thicker one's. The wool one's break down the fastest. I want some injiji compression socks for long days.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The Smartwool merino toe socks were the worst socks I've ever owned. Horrid duriability, and very slow drying.

I have an older pair of coolmax Injinjis which have worn very well. Sounds like the newer versions are not so good. With thin socks, less wool content is better.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools