Topic

Please offer some ideas for a November trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Please offer some ideas for a November trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Locale: Southwest

I have to burn a few weeks of vacation before the end of the year, and I'm trying to find an awesome trip to take. We are forced to take the week of Thanksgiving, so I'm trying to work something in then, and I can add the week before as well. Also, the big scary 4-0 will be on that Monday of the week of Thanksgiving. I expect that I will not be very happy about it, so I would like to try to get very far away from myself for that event.

What are some good options for that time of year? I think the southern hemisphere might be nice in November, no? I've considered the Inca trail, but I've read conflicting reports on whether Nov. is a rainy time there or not. At least it would be less crowded that time of year. But it doesn't have to be there. Actually it doesn't even have to be a backpacking trip, or at least not all of it. I might be able to find someone to go with me, but I'll have to plan on going it alone in case that doesn't work out.

Any good ideas for a "one of a few in a lifetime" trip?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I spend Novembers in deserts, but don't consider them trips of a lifetime, I am more inclined towards a lifetime of trips.

For non-backpacking trips maybe a cruise ship? I have only done that twice, and it was surprising enjoyable. There are "cruises" on sailboats where you are part of the crew — sounds like fun.

Believe me, 4-0 is anti-cliamtic.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

New Zealand…South Island has endless possibilities, should be good time to be there in Nov, spring…I spent two weeks there in Sept. last year but could easily have spent 2 years there is so much to choose from.

Patagonia

Himalayas. trekking season is winding down but not quite over. Quieter than October, better to stay at lower elevations but can still be nice…

US desert SW can still be good this time of year…Zion, Southern Utah, Grand Canyon.

IMO the best stuff in Peru is already past prime. June -Sept is ideal for Cordilleras Blanca, Huayhuash and Vilcanota which are my favourites. But the summer beach scene is just getting going so can still be a fun time.

Hawaii. Big Island has spectacular stuff. Have not been to Maui but also good stuff there and Napali coast on Kaui is also spectacular. Nov. Should be OK for all of that. Can mix it up between beach relaxation, and more strenuous tropical altitude, volcanic outings. Nice caving on the big island too. Some of the low key non touristy places on the big island are particularly relaxing IMO.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

Why not visit a nice Caribbean island and learn how to scuba dive? It's even more gear-intensive than walking around int he woods, and might proveto be a real life-changer… i took my then-girlfriend (now wife) on a one-week vacation to Utila in 1993, and ended up staying ten years.

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Locale: Southwest

Patagonia sounds intriguing, if just because it seems so exotic and remote. But I really don't know what the attractions are there. Is backpacking a good idea, and how difficult is it to make plans and get everything in order? How difficult is it to get to that region? It's a long way once you get to Buenos Aires, do regional flights take you the rest of the way or do you have to spend a lot of time on the roads? Any good backpacking route suggestions or other activities?

Hawaii sounds like a nice option too. No visas or such to worry about.

I've heard nothing but good about New Zealand, though the flight is quite long and probably expensive.

I need to get on the ball and make some decisions soon, time is slipping away!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools