Topic

My final frontier: Pack and Tent – suggestions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) My final frontier: Pack and Tent – suggestions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Anthony Meaney
    BPL Member

@ameaney

Locale: Canada

How do you find the suspension on the catalyst? Is it adequate for a 20-25lb load??

I don't mind flattening the floor and then making a cozier set up if it rains.

My current dog doesn't rip up the mesh. My prior hiking dog (now retired) did tear a hole in the door of my Big Agnes during a Thunder Storm – note make sure your dog isn't afraid of thunder before you take them into the backcountry for 5 days :)

And for the record I am totally enjoying this process of selecting new gear. It's a hard choice but lot's of fun as well (except for my wallet). The only downside is that I won't get out to test it till next year :(

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

This is my clip on the SS1 :

TT SS1
    Might give you a better idea of its size.

Kevin Gurney
    Spectator

@kwgurney

Locale: SF Bay Area

> How do you find the suspension on the catalyst? Is it adequate for a 20-25lb load??

Yes, plenty adequate. I can't find my packing list for that trip right now, but I believe my pack weight was right around 20 lbs. With consumables and it probably in 20-25 lbs. Maybe slightly higher.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the gear selection process. I look forward to reading trip reports when the Cold Northern Winter has passed and you can get out there again.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

My Conduit gets used 30 times for every one time my Catalyst gets used. The Catalyst is just too big most of the time. And I probably use my GG Gorilla more than my Conduit, just depends on how rough the terrain is. Kind of unusual to see someone save the Big 2 for last; that's where the easy weight savings are.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

Not necessarily Dave & Joe, :-) ya gotta know what you have to put into a pack before you get the pack, at least when starting over. I waited until last to get my pack and tent also. I used an old pack with known carry space then I got both of us two ULA Circuit packs, after getting the tent question settled. I called ULA and asked them which one would be best for 20-25 pounds and the gear I want to carry. The Circuit turned out to be perfect!
    Only problem is now I want an Ohm .2 for shorter trips! This BPL is spoiling us…..:-O

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Is the tent just for you and the pooch, or two plus the pooch? I find the SS1 literally perfect for me and the dog (no, I wouldn't do 2+dog). And no, he doesn't tear the mesh in this tent. My hexamid? Yep, torn to shreds. But this one he does really well with. The bathtub sides do well enough to keep his pesky paws out of the noseeum.

And what I found about the difference between the big Agnes fly creek 2 and the ss1 is that the fly creek literally had a single place where I could sit up…and that was it. The walls sloped so much it made the "usable" space in the tent much less. The stratospire however, has nearly vertical walls. I have sooooo much more room in that tent it is really, really nice.

Anthony Meaney
    BPL Member

@ameaney

When I started on this journey everything I read said to lighten your load first before considering getting a light pack. No point in getting a sub 3lb pack if you are still going to cram 50 lbs into it.

How is that ass backwards?

Anthony Meaney
    BPL Member

@ameaney

Jennifer just me and the dog.My Hiking Buddy

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

D C

@ocdave

Locale: Outdoors -MN

Ameaney,

How much does your dog carry?

Anthony Meaney
    BPL Member

@ameaney

She carries 5 lbs.

Mostly stuff that I want easy access to and don't mind getting wet:

Water filtration
    Doggie Bowl
    Rain Gear
    Leatherman Skeletool
    Doggie booties
    First Aid kit
    Alcohol (fuel)
    body glide
    sun block
    para cord

The pack is a rough wear palisades the saddle bags detach which makes it easy if we hit tricky ground.

Anthony Meaney
    BPL Member

@ameaney

"No point in getting a sub 3lb pack if you are still going to cram 50 lbs into it."

No, that would be stupid and please direct me where that was said"

Exactly it would be stupid, one might even say "Ass-backwards"

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Jason Mahler
    BPL Member

@jrmahler

Locale: Michigan

I went through a similar conversion early this year. I swapped an Osprey Kestrel 48 and REI Quarterdome 3 for a Zpacks Arc Blast and Hexamid Twin.

My guess is that there are several tents or tarp/bivy combinations that would work, but this one is light and very easy to set up. I have had my 60# dog in it with me and had plenty of room.

For the back, it is a semi framed back that really seems to make the pack feel lighter. I am typically in the 15# range and it is like nothing. I have had it up to 29# and it felt like a 20# pack.

Overall, great quality and excellent options for customization made the cost worthwhile for me.

Anthony Meaney
    BPL Member

@ameaney

Jason:

I was just looking at that very site today. I was a little concerned about their torso measurements which seem a little long.

I am going to measure using their method just to make sure but my torso length using the standard measuring technique is just over 15" (short) their short is 20 inches.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Google failed me, so I have to ask :
    what is this ssa you are talking about ?

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Or yahoo, or altavista ;-)

Anthony Meaney
    BPL Member

@ameaney

Franco:

Sorry, I just got around to watching the video now. Very informative. My dog is smaller than a sleeping pad (but bigger than your cat :) )so it should be ok.

Thanks for putting up the video

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools