Topic

Gear List for 5 day Wonderland Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Gear List for 5 day Wonderland Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Keep in mind that a year ago, my pack on a PCT section hike was in excess of 50lbs.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=15216 (updated)

Destroyed my La Sportiva Wildcats in the Enchantments so those will be replaced this week. Loved those shoes and they were about done anyways so will probably get another pair or a pair of Brooks Cascadias.

Edit: Constructive criticism always appreciated. I forgot to add my Monkey Pillowcase and Exped Pillow. I'll update the link in a subsequent response to my OP.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

When are you going, Ian?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Going to try and get a walk up permit Tuesday afternoon

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I was going to see if you wanted company, but I definitely can't do it this week. Have a great trip and I look forward to the trip report!

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

You seem to have three top layers + a vest. I'd want something warmer than a down vest…I'd leave at least one of the top layers behind and swap the vest for something with a hood and sleeves. but that's just me.

Do you need a headnet and repellent in Sept? But no sunblock?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Regarding mosquitos, I'm fairly certain that should be better than when I was there last month but I can't say for sure. My clothes are treated with permethrin so I'm going to leave the picardin behind. Head net saved my bacon in Indian Henry's last month so it's going for sure.

I'll take another look at the top layers. If I had to choose, I'd probably keep the nylon shirt and ditch the silk weight top. Probably sleep on it and make a decision tomorrow.

I'll add the sunblock.

The only reason I'm bringing the vest is to bolster my sleep system. FWIW I'm a warm sleeper. I'm expecting nighttime lows in the mid to high 30*s but with what I have I'm ok down to the 20*s. I have a down sweater but it's pretty heavy at >14oz. My plans are to upgrade my down sweater and rain shell this winter to something lighter but unfortunately that doesn't do me any good now.

Haven't ruled out the down sweater but right now I don't think it'll be necessary.

Edit: Looked at the numbers again. I'm going to leave the silk weight top and down vest at home and bring the down sweater. No weight change and I'll have a warmer system. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"I was going to see if you wanted company, but I definitely can't do it this week."

Too bad but maybe we can meet up for a PNW hike before weather gets nasty this fall.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Made a few changes.

Added sunblock but removed picardin.

Added down sweater but removed silk weight top and down vest. As dumb luck would have it, 14.6oz for 14.6oz exchange. Thanks MB, good catch.

Things I realize are luxury items.

iPhone – is my camera, alarm clock, gps, e reader, etc.
    Battery bank – Probably could go with a lighter 1000mah battery bank but this is all I have at the moment
    pillow/pillow case – worth the 4oz to me for a good night's sleep

Edit: Updated list here http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=15216

I'll update the URL in the OP as well.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Hey Ian,

You may want to post that on your blog. Us high tech people with iPhones/iPads can't view geargrams; or maybe we aren't so high tech ;)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Will do Nick. I'm pretty low tech and this is my first experience with Geargrams.com. Looks like I can export the file as a PDF so I'll play around with it to see if I can upload it to the blog. I may just end up transcribing it in a new post.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Ian, if you can print it, you can convert it to PDF. There are some free PDF converters, such as Nitro PDF, if you don't have the full Adobe Acrobat, which most people don't. However, I don't know if you can post a PDF document in WordPress. I have Acrobat and can save PDF files as JPEGs.

Maybe it is time to creat a spreadsheet?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Maybe it is time to create a spreadsheet?"

I think so. Just learned how to convert a PDF to JPEG on my Mac using Preview. Learn something new every day.

.Gear list

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Haven't added my food or water weight yet but here's everything else:

Total (besides food/water) 17.56lbs
    Pack weight 11.34lbs
    Worn 6.22lbs

By category:

Clothing (including worn) 9.49lbs
    Cooking .44lbs
    Hydration .63lbs
    Shelter/sleeping 3.86lbs
    Toiletries .27lbs
    Tools (including trekking poles) 2.84lbs

FWIW, lightening up my clothing and purchasing an even lighter pack are on the list for this winter.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools