Topic

Show me your nested cook sets!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Show me your nested cook sets!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    marcia trussell

@wldspice

Locale: PNW

In the realm of cooking on the trail, show me
    Your nested cook sets. It makes great sense to me to have the all in one nest. Looking for UL systems that have proven effective and that you are passionate about!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

For one or two ?
    Cooking or boiling ?

marcia trussell

@wldspice

I would love to see both cooking and boiling nest sets.

marcia trussell

@wldspice

I know there are many variations in trail cooking. I want to learn from those of you who have created great success!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Not to be negative, but regarding stove systems and cook systems. There are hundreds, if not thousands of posts here on BPL, not to mention the BPL articles. If the built in search function doesn't work for you, try the Google advanced search and in the URL enter backpackinglight.com

marcia trussell

@wldspice

If you don't have anything positive to say, isn't that being negative? This is a forum and I am simply posting. Is that not ok with you?
    I am reading other threads as well as writing a few of my own.
    I hope my inquisitive nature will be regarded with kindness and respect.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"If you don't have anything positive to say, isn't that being negative? "

No not necessarily. And Nick makes a fine point politely.

So Marcia is new and excited. OK.

I don't hear much discussion here about cook sets though. More about reducing the items in one's cook set instead. This is the cook in and eat out of you pot or freezer bag crowd mostly.

If you are looking to do actual cooking I would look at hard anodized aluminum cookware. Available from a multitude of manufacturers. GSI, MSR, etc…

And if Marcia's feathers get ruffled this easily , well… To soar with the eagles, you'll have to pass some turkeys.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

I don't mind threads that re-cap old discussions. Just face it, there is nothing really new discussed in these forums anyway, just updates to old news.

Anyway, the value is that some of us have been using gear for a long time since our last discussion, so updates are valuable. If you have nothing new to add, don't post! (why hassle the OP, just keep out of the discussion if you think it's old news).

I've used the same system for 6-7 years and am still happy with it. I like to cook sometimes and find my gas stove works well for that. The cup on my Snow Peak Ti Mini Solo cook set nests on the bottom of the pot and a gas can, stove, lighter and pack towel all fit nicely inside.

I've also found that leaving the cup on the bottom of the pot while cooking pretty much eliminates burnt food issues when I simmer a meal for a long period of time.

Contents of cookset

nested cook set

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Marcia, no need to go any further looking here at BPL. All you ever wanted to know about nesting pots and lids that fit can be found elsewhere in one single location:

Things that nest and lids that fit…

marcia trussell

@wldspice

Thanks Mike. I appreciate your reply and photos. I am an endurance cyclist who is currently recovering from a traumatic bicycle crash. I decided as part of my recovery, I would take on a new interest and challenge. I am choosing gear and knowledge from BPL community. Thanks!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Marcia,It's good to ask.
    People change their mind about what is best for them and or simply need to keep up with other changes.
    For example of late in some areas, because of fire bans , alcohol stove systems are not allowed, so my beloved 550ml Caldera Cone TiTri would be put aside for maybe in my case a JetBoil Sol.
    now that I have the 90g Roger Caffin stove, I could build a kit around that for less than 250g 3 seasons or about 300g with a larger pot in winter.
    (I am of the boil only pesuasion…)TiTri kit
    TiTri kit nesting
    The TiTri kit is the size of a 1L Nalgene, very similar to the JetBoil 1L version.

marcia trussell

@wldspice

Franco,
    Thank you for your support as I learn what many of you now have come to experience as second nature. It is interesting to see how differently cookware and stoves function in different situations and seasons. I appreciate your reply!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

FWIW, I've been on BPL for several years and am still using the same alcohol stove I started with. It's been a great stove and has not really let me down. But here I am, looking into new wares. The times, they are a changin'. Why? Just because. So, ask away! We need content here anyways.

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

I'm currently cooking (Freezer Bag style) with a Evernew 400ml pot with carbon fiber lid. Tucked neatly inside it while packed is a Caldera Cone from Trail Designs and a BGET esbit stove I made following Brian Green's instruction and template found online via Google. These 3 components of my non-nested cookset weigh in at 2 7/8 oz (82 grams).

edited to add pictures

400ml esbit cookset packed up

400ml esbit cookset unpacked

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Marcia,
    Sorry to hear about your accident.
    Roger D. is right – not a lot of cooking going on in super ultra light land – at the most, a little water boiled one time. So not much interest in nested cooksets.

Being a natural born outcast, I of course have to cook to the utmost. So Mike W's compact system does not hold enough water. An Evernew quart Ti Pasta Pot holds a larger 16 oz. Coleman gas canister, and a MYOG Ti windscreen for a Ti Gigapower burner, similar to the one sold by snow peak but lighter, nests over the bottom of the pot. The pot lid sucks, but they refuse to make one that fits INSIDE rather than over the top of the pot, so I have to put up with it coming off all the time. Other stuff will fit in the pot with the canister.

That gets over a quart of water boiled, but cooking requirs simmering, so there is also the Snow Peak two bowl Ti cookset – the larger bowl for simmering dinner, the smaller one used as a cup, and a small plastic margarine container with lid goes in the cup to hold tea bags and S & P.

This is all a ridiculously bulky and heavy nightmare, but haven't been able to figure a way to reduce it to one very light nested set that will boil the quart, boil more for the dogs' dinner, boil more later for hot drinks, and have another pot for simmering dinner as well as a large cup. Could design something that would work, but manufacturing Ti pots is really not a MYOG thing.

Should inspiration strike, and something can be devised to do all the above and nest down to a reasonable size, it will be posted here.

Best wishes.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

marcia, that is like waving red cape at a bull, sorry

I have only a pot and a lid, how can I nest that?

I do put my stove and spoon inside the pot

Once I had a small canister (4 ounce) but it tipped over so I use a bigger canister (8 ounce) that doesn't fit in the pot. Maybe some day I will revert back to 4 ounce canister.

I think at REI they have cook sets with several pots that nest. Since this is backpackinglight, that is crazy, why would you have several pots?

Somewhere in all this humour is some useful information, again sorry : )

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

nm

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

LiteTrail 900ml Ti pot+lid with Kovea Spider remote canister stove, igniter, and Snow Peak 110g canister + Hot Lips inside as well as a 0.5oz foil windscreen/ground heat reflector bundled up in the original padded stuff sack (will make a reflectix cozy to replace it later).

nested

18.5 oz with full canister, 11.3 oz without.

marcia trussell

@wldspice

It is eye opening in reading everyone's responses who took a moment to post about their cooking setups. I love the humor and willingness describing what you own but don't use, or what you do use. So the learning continues. I was initially wanting gear that stores inside itself,light weight stove,inside the cooking pot. Simple.
    Perhaps the answer is outside the nest…
    No conclusion has been drawn as of yet.
    I am glad to be a part of this community. I am challenged to backpack ultra light,try a this new venue that opens up new friendships and adventures.

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

Hi. My goto alcohol setup is based on an 850ml MSR Ti Kettle , an Evernew 400ml Ti mug, and a MYOG Cone (split ). and a Starlyte stove. Details and photos here:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/my-current-lightweight-nesting–cooking-setup—-not-minimalist/50104.html

It works for 2 if using dehydrated meals or freezer bag type.

I don't always take the 400mug when solo.

If I want to do real cooking or use a fire I use other setups.

G H

@notlight

Locale: Midwest

I think the Snow Peak Solo Cook kit posted above by Mike W is a very good place for you to start. Everything WILL nest together in a small package, with your stove and fuel inside the main tall pot. They sell those kits at that big recreational equipment store – go have a look at it.

If you find you need something more later on, Snow Peak also sells a larger pot that Mike W's set will nest neatly and compactly inside. They also sell those at that big recreational equipment store – go have a look.

If you want something still more extravagent, I would add to Mike W's setup plus the outside nesting pot. but not with something nesting. For example, I would add an MSR flex skillet. The flex skillet can cook just about anything – fish, pizza, biscuits. Plus it's deep enough to boil in and use as a saucepot. The extra flex skillet does't really take up any room in your pack if you fill it with other gear, and it "only" weighs about 8oz. I don't think it's important that the skillet nests with your other pots, and I actually think trying to do that is a mistake because you won't get the best combination of pots that way.

The problem with doing much more than that, is you have to clean all these dishes somehow, plus you'll need cooking utensils, maybe plates – it just starts to snowball and you end up ruining the whole experience because you're carrying way too much junk.

Kent C.

@kent

Locale: High Sierra

I too, like when it all fits inside. Esbit has its drawbacks, but I accept them.

Here's my setup for FBC – just boil water (4.05 oz w/o Esbit):

cook set 1

cook set 2

cook set 3

cook set 4

The rectangular Altoids lid is just backup in case I burn thru the soda can bottom.

I use a trimmed, fold-over sandwich bag to protect the inside of the pot when not in use (from esbit residue), and a cut down Subway sandwich bag for the outside of the pot (same reason – residue). The mesh bag is a net bag from fresh lemons; cinch-cord is mason's line. This mesh bag combo is actually a few grams lighter that the one that came with the pot (a BPL FireLite 550), and much easier to slip pot into.

edit: fixed html error

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools