Topic

“nothing will hit us, we will not die, we will not drown, in JESUS name”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion “nothing will hit us, we will not die, we will not drown, in JESUS name”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"Move it to chan"…
    That's pretty funny.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Whose van with the "Free Candy" sign is that I see in front of my house….. Ken?

Anywho… as long as no one mentions the "G" word, this thread will probably be ok.

Edit: violated one of my pet peeves

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

No problem being called fanatic, as long as it's in chaff… :-)

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Please move to chaff…

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Peter,

I've been on this forum for less than a year so I don't claim to know all things BPL. I'm not aware of one thread being moved since I've been here and I believe Roger mentioned a month or so ago (if I'm wrong I'll edit this) that isn't possible.

Because I haven't seen a train driven off a cliff this week, I'll start a continuation thread in Chaff.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Hi Ian, thanks. I'll stop hitting the report button…

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

"Always good to be reminded that atheists are the worst sort of religious fanatics out there."

Reason is a troublesome SOB isn't it?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Here's my complaint:

Must we sterilize our entire existence to the point where mere mention of a God/deity/religious figure/or anything else for that matter brings criticism?

I could see if the video was proselytizing and it was someone's agenda to push beliefs….but even then, who cares? Keep calm and carry on.

Good Lord. I'm just gonna sit my butt on the couch and stare at the wall until I expire. That way, I'll be sure to not offend anyone.

Oh wait, I said Lord. Ahhh! I said it again! I'm gonna go into my basement now and flog myself.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Like Nick, I've been in a "100-year flood" (which seem to happen pretty darn often, but that one in 1978 did damage trails in the GCNP that took many years to repair, so maybe. . .) . And I've been in lots of slot canyon, some after incredible storm damage.

I'd never want to be in a slot canyon while a monsoon rain was happening anywhere upstream. A co-worker experienced that while gold mining in South America – why is the water a foot deeper? What is rumbling noise? and then scrambling up the ropes as a wall of water came down on them. The guys in this youtube were not in a terribly threatening situation. They got wet. They got muddy. I didn't hear any boulders tumbling down the canyon walls (I found that a particularly scary aspect of being in a canyon in a downpour). I didn't see rocks, logs, etc, getting washed downstream. I didn't see the canyon bottom filling up with 10 or 20 feet of water.

It looks like there are doing what cavers call a "pull-down" trip in which you pull down your ropes as you go. Some of the most harrowing stories in the annual summary of US caving accidents are on such trips. You're committed and if there's an injury, the cave has changed, or the weather changes, you're still committed to do the whole thing. Pull-down trips require more planning, more contingencies, a stronger group, and a more conservative response to weather forecasts. They just do.

My first thought during the video was, "Why are they telling guys to come DOWN and then happy they did?" I had other thoughts about "WTH is his hand ABOVE his figure-8/ATC?" because my hands are only ever BELOW my rappel device.

But back to the chaffy nature of this thread: When we were soaked through, with sticks and rocks in my hair, getting hailed on, we ducked under an overhang and were appreciative of the insulating properties of large German tourists who were towards the outside.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

eric's subject "nothing will hit us, we will not die, we will not drown, in JESUS name" implies that eric is being critical of their religious belief?

at least that's how people interpreted, and that's what people are responding to

if the subject had been "people survive flash flood" there would have been no controversy

I'm not criticizing eric's choice of subject or the responses, just that all the responses were inevitible, sort of like if you release and apple, it's inevitible it will fall to the ground : )

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

> if you release and apple, it's inevitible it will fall to the ground : )

Nuh uh, Jerry. What if you're in outer space? ;)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

it will fall more slowly

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

I'm still on the fence about the title…

It could be proselytizing if the OP believes that calling on 'Jesus name' started a miracle and hopes the video will constitute proof of supernatural forces at play.

It could be trolling if he's sitting in his armchair right now laughing at the uproar he's caused.

… or maybe it's just a video of a group caught in a flash flood that survived. They prayed with classic pentecostal gusto as is probably the speakers custom. It's their right, especially given they had Death staring them in the face.

Me? Without further evidence, I'll go with option two (it's more fun than the others). It's just too easy to get people riled up with a simple idea. And it's fun watching people boil over something this insignificant.

Life and let live.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"
    It could be proselytizing if the OP believes that calling on 'Jesus name' started a miracle and hopes the video will constitute proof of supernatural forces at play."

And what if he is proselytizing?
    I have no problem with that. Most likely won't work on me….but I don't mind an atheist making their case so I don't mind a faithful one making their case either.
    Attempting to ban/ censure religion is not better than calling for the marginalization of atheists.
    It seems obvious to me.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

Having viewed the video, the religious aspect of it is a very short section of a 5 minute video about heavy rain/flash flood. Somehow some people have chosen to get all offended about it instead of focusing on the actual point. Perhaps that's because the OP chose to make religion his topic, instead of the flash flood. But the video itself appears to be rather innocuous to me. I can certainly say I would not have wanted to have been there. It would have been scary.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

BPL, go home, you're drunk.

This forum is continuing it's abysmal nose dive into oblivion.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Eugene, the only problem is that this isn't in chaff… People, move to chaff please…come on, there you go… Good chaffer!

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

I need to visit chaff more often… that's where I can go drunk!

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

No doubt they felt it necessary to have the powers of the Melchizedek priesthood invoked during such a scary time. They did the right thing, they survived.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

"In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted,"

Hey, it's a free country.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools