Topic

“nothing will hit us, we will not die, we will not drown, in JESUS name”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion “nothing will hit us, we will not die, we will not drown, in JESUS name”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I have received a couple of complaints about the religeous comments in this video. I don't think the people complaining have ever experienced a flood in a canyon, and simply do not understand.

Sue and I have done a lot of canyoning in our time. Only once have we been through a canyon during a storm, and it was one of the closest passes we have ever had with death. Fortunately, we were able to exit sideways, but it was close.

Quite frankly, I don't care what religeous comments were made at the peak of the chaos. The leadership displayed was good. That the four survived was all that matters.

Cheers
    Roger

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Who cares?

First it's a private site so the owner can leave it or remove it as he likes.

Second, there are plenty of religious people around. Do you really want to start discriminating?

Third, it's a canyoneering / flash flood video. The people in its personal views are there own. It doesn't diminish the video.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

"I have received a couple of complaints about the religeous comments in this video."

Really? Surprised but maybe shouldn't be. What is the nature of the complaints?

If someone has a problem with the content of the video why don't they post up here for all to see?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"I have received a couple of complaints about the religeous comments in this video. I don't think the people complaining have ever experienced a flood in a canyon, and simply do not understand.

Sue and I have done a lot of canyoning in our time. Only once have we been through a canyon during a storm, and it was one of the closest passes we have ever had with death. Fortunately, we were able to exit sideways, but it was close."

Amen, brother! And I'm not religious.

Having lived in the desert for over 35 years I have seen a lot of flash floods, too include two 100 year floods (1977 and 1979). Only once was I in potential danger, but I moved to safe ground when the rain started, even though I was not anticipating a flood.

These usually happen in the U.S. Southwest in August and September when storms move their way up from the Gulf of Mexico.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I was one who flagged it because it seems like it belongs in chaff. Complain away ; ).

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

"Only once was I in potential danger, but I moved to safe ground when the rain started, even though I was not anticipating a flood."

Seems like a pretty good track record Nick. Would you care to share your system for not dying in floods. Its a new topic for me since I've done most of my hiking in the mountains. Obviously I'll check the weather first.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"it seems like it belongs in chaff"

disagree. It's on topic for this forum

General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion

General discussion of lightweight hiking/backpacking and other backcountry activities.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Flash floods can occur even when it isn't raining in your location. So you need to be aware of the terrain when hiking in desert country. Normally in deserts when it rains, even in the "rainy" season of Jan and February, the rain is light even if it rains for a couple of days. In summer the rain can dump several inches in a very short period, and often the weather forecast is for a chance of afternoon thunder showers, without flash flood warnings.

The one I mentioned was when I was in a canyon descending from the peak of Pinto Mountain in Joshua Tree. I had put together a loop and the final leg was to descend a series of canyons — not technical stuff. Then it started raining, so I moved out of the canyon (being it was September) to a small ridge and watched the canyon fill with water, even though the rain wasn't a downpour. I ended up working my down a much longer route, not technically hard. Then I found a high spot on top of a sand dune to spend the night. Next morning was blue skies and an easy hike back to my car.

When you get into large canyon systems, retreat may not be easy.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Thanks Nick, I may have more desert hiking in my future so I'll remember that.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Dave T

@davet

i am the creator of chaff.

you shall bow before me.

Chris .
    BPL Member

@cwb

Locale: Los Angeles

Some people will get butthurt complain over anything. Why the need to complain over the prayer? There are no athiests in a foxhole. That's hairy, glad they made it and cool video.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"There are no athiests in a foxhole."

Not only is that an ignorant statement, it's pure bullshit.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Gosh Dodge, sure glad we have you around to explain the intent behind other people's posts. Sure glad so you're so omniscient, don't know how we ever got on without you in the past.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Amazing video Eric; thanks for sharing. Glad everyone made it out of there alive.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Gosh Doug. Thanks for screwing up this thread even more.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

"There are no athiests in a foxhole."

Not only is that an ignorant statement, it's pure bullshit.

+1

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

I was getting a kick out of all the D&D-inspired comments on the youtube thread:

"Who's the warlock in the group? I can hear spells being cast."
    — "I think in this situation they should have summoned a creature with flying ability.."
    — "To be fair they did summon a creature that walks on water."
    "At least there was a Cleric in the raid."

But since someone mentioned foxholes:
    "oh god nothing worse than a theist in a foxhole. everybody trying to think clearly of how to survive and one guy yelling "DEAR JESUS PUT A FORCEFIELD AROUND US I SUMMON YOU""

(everything in quotes property of their original poster)

Long live chaff!

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Let's keep religion out of BPL

or at least move it to chaff ;-)

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Can the moderators move this to Chan please :).

Chris .
    BPL Member

@cwb

Locale: Los Angeles

Always good to be reminded that atheists are the worst sort of religious fanatics out there.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Chaff drive, engaged.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools