Topic

Boot Hunt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Boot Hunt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I'm going to need boots for some winter hiking.

Anyone have a suggestion? I've got a wide toe box. Also, I've found that I have no problem using simple Gore-Tex or waterproof boots in the winter with thick socks or VBL socks, rather than insulation. I'd like to keep weight down by going uninsulated, but sealed.

Are Vasque's wide?

Thanks,

Max

Andre Buhot
    BPL Member

@shadow-mkii

Hi Max, I have a fairly wide foot. And Lowa boots fit me really well. And last quite a long time.

I work in Outdoor Ed and typically have about 35 weeks in the bush a year mostly off trail.

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Locale: Los Angeles

i bought a pair of merrill norgehunds or whatever dumb name it is,for snowshoeing.They are totally waterproof and work unlike their summer boots.These look like summer hiking boots not massive winter expedition mukluks.They have another version that goes up quite high on your calves as well.

I have a wide foot and merrells seem to run wide.

http://www.schulershoes.com/Mens-Merrell-Norsehund-Beta-Mid-Waterproof-P7885.aspx?CAWELAID=1593638928&catargetid=1709402254&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CPCQ_r_puLkCFQ9dQgodujMAbg

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

I almost never wear them in the summer any more, but they've been great to me for winter use… Great with snowshoes and microspikes, OK with (some) light crampons, and warm enough for me… and they come in widths, if you can find them.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Asolo's look good. Will keep my eyes open!

Bogs and Bergs

@islandized

Locale: Newfoundland

Max, here are two threads on Trailspace about sole delamination on the Asolo 520s:

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-selection/topics/71131.html
    http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-selection/topics/147580.html

One of those threads links to this report of Asolo disintegration during a climb:

http://www.mountainmadness.com/blog/2013/07/18/adventure-on-the-torment-forbidden-traverse

Just, you know, a heads up in case they haven't fixed that yet.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I've gone over to Keen boots for their super wide toe box. I've worn Asolos for years because they come in wide. Keen boots can be wider still–I haven't tried every model! I own the Oregon PCT boots, which would definitely work in winter. Not that heavy…anyway, maybe worth a look.

by the way REI in Berkeley did not carry the model that I ended up buying; they only had one or two models that didn't work for me. I had to go online.

greg c

@spindrifter

I'll second Andre's suggestion. I have three pair of Lowa boots (all made in Germany) and they don't suffer typical euro sizing issues. Nice wide toe box, yet the heel cup keeps your foot anchored. Brilliant quality also. I'll never go back to the other premium brands. Lowa just works for my feet.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Max,
    The most important thing by far is fit.
    You can go nuts ordering and returning boots, so find a store that has a good selection to try on. Here in NH, we use Farmway in Bradford VT, the Bootleggers outlets, the Cabela's store in S Portland ME, and others. Once the right fitting boot is found, it can often be ordered cheaper on line.

Make sure your heels do not move side-to-side in the boots when laced, that there is no significant heel lift, and of course, with the wide forefoot, that there is no pinching up front. Sometimes the addition of orthotics, or shaped insoles can tighten things up if needed.

For me, I like the quality as well as fit of Danner 452s for winter use, about a pound heavier per pair than Keen mids; but for you, they might not fit at all.

Once you find boots that fit, then quality can be compared.

Good Luck.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I have not worn true boots in a long time so take this with a grain of salt. Since boots lace up farther I find I can get away with a bigger size. I'm swimming in a size 10 shoe but I remember wearing size 10 boots. What happens is the higher ankle locks your foot in place. You do have the extra length which can be annoying but your foot stays where it should be.
    Just my 2 cents, I have wide feet too so I feel your pain. I wish Altra would make a boot for snow hiking.

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

My current pair is the Asolo Fugitive GTX.

The specs page has it about 15% lighter than the 520, and it also comes in a wide.

Review: http://www.itstactical.com/gearcom/footwear/asolo-fugitive-gtx-boots-combat-tested-in-afghanistan/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools