Topic

The Enchantments Day Hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports The Enchantments Day Hike

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Last weekend I day hiked The Enchantments from (edit) Stuart Lake TH to Snow Lake TH. For me, this was a very challenging but enjoyable hike.

You can read my trip report on my brand new blog:

http://nwtrailbum.com/2013/09/06/the-enchantments-day-hike/

Due to my issues with low self esteem resulting from the fact that I never had a pony growing up, I would love for anyone who's interested to subscribe to nwtrailbum.com

Thanks,

Ian

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Nice report. I've never been from Colchuck to Aasgard – go to do that some day.

18 miles in one day – good job – and the middle part is some difficult mileage. I've always considered myself lucky to get from Snow Lake to lower Enchantmentsd in one day

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks Jerry. Colchuck is a pretty area. Like Snow Lake, it's a tent city of sorts but I still wouldn't mind camping there.

I didn't mention it in my report but the water level at Snow Lake was unbelievably low by at least 20' if not more.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ian, nice job!

I haven't been into the Enchantments except Stuart Lake and Colchuck Lake, staring up and across at wicked Aasgard Pass. I was wondering how you were going to pull this off because that is a monster day-hike! Well done!

Edit: Stuart!

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

Nice report Ian! Great job as well on your first time through the Enchantments – amazing place isn't it? One little nitpick – it is Stuart lake after Mt Stuart, nambed by George McClellan for his friend Captain Stuart.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks for the kind words Steven!

Great catch Jim. I'll make the correction to my trip report later and I'll correct the OP now. I really appreciate that you found the error.

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

You are welcome Ian, again – great report!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"For me, this was a very challenging but enjoyable hike."

It's challenging for almost everyone the first time out. Congratulations on hanging in there and completing one of the premier day hikes in America.

I've a hunch you'll come back for seconds. ;)

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Beautiful weather and hike!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I had the elevation gains/losses wrong in the original trip report. Just remeasured everything on Caltopo and the report should be correct now. 4400' gain from Stuart TH to the upper basin and the 6400' loss from the upper basin to Snow Lake TH.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Ian,
    I really enjoyed your humorous write up and photos. Thanks!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks for the kind words Ike. It's always hard to tell in this setting if my humor translates well or falls flat. My wife assures me that just because I think I'm funny doesn't mean the rest of the world does.

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

You're a funny guy, but remember, looks aren't everything!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"but remember, looks aren't everything!"

Possibly the least helpful thing I've ever been told. I'll be crying on the toilet eating eating chocolate if anyone needs me.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Ian,
    Great trip report!! The photos and comments were wonderful. I'm looking forward to another trip report that covers 3-5 days in this area. I've been to Oregon and spent some time in Portland and Seattle, but now I'm thinking that the Enchantments would be a great place to explore. I think that Sharon was very ungracious in her comments.

Sharon,
    That was very funny! :)

Tom

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Remember that you need a permit to camp in the Enchantments, and they're very limited, sort of like the Sierras.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks Tom!

As Jerry mentioned, the permit process complicates things but probably worth the effort. This is a hike I always knew that I would want to day hike. Now that's done, I'd like to return on a much more relaxed schedule so I can do more exploring in the upper basin and climb Little Annapurna or another peak.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools