Topic

Backpacking Smoothie Recipes, anyone?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Backpacking Smoothie Recipes, anyone?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I would like to create my own homemade backpacking smoothies (just add water) for use on the trail. I was thinking of using Ensure powder as the base, adding powdered yogurt and freeze-dried fruit. Does anyone have a tried-and-true recipe that they've used before for this?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/creamsicle-protein-smoothie
    That is one of mine. It is something I need to revisit :-)

Laurie Gibson
    BPL Member

@lagibson

Locale: Northeast

The recipe for breakfast fruit smoothie in "Feasting in the Wild Country" by Mary M. Holmes (available as an $10 emailed file from brasslite.com) is the one I use.

Edit: She suggests many flavor variations.
    I have no affiliation with the author or brasslite.com.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Gack, Sarah — I should've checked your site first!!!! My only issue (which I forgot to mention — major insomnia bout) is that I have a slight lactose intolerance, but I could easily substitute Ensure powder for the milk powder… or rice milk powder or almond milk powder…

Thanks, ladies!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I am thinking of making a new version soon so my youngest can have some. With SunWarrior original protein powder – it is just brown spouted rice and salt. We shall see!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The basic fruit smoothie has some dry milk base, typically a mixture of Whey powder or else Ensure powder, plus some natural fruit flavor. For the fruit flavor, I normally take some f.d. strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, or cherry and whiz it into a powder using a blender. All of that gets carried in dry. Then it is mixed with cold water and shaken until it is smooth. That much, I have.

The problem is that the f.d. berry powder does not seem to want to mix well with the milk base. Do I need something to act as an emulsifier?

Currently I use a 12-ounce plastic bowl with a screw lid as my shaker. It seems necessary to have something with a wide mouth like this since there is so much stuff that does not mix up well, and it has to be cleaned out by hand afterwards. Is there a better method?

Maybe I need a solar-powered blender!

–B.G.–

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Bob, I bet Sarah will know. I wonder if it would help if you kept the f/d fruit powder separate and re-hydrated it for several minutes first… But if you're bringing a backcountry blender…it's margarita time!!! ;~)Emoji

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

The cleanup would be the show stopper for me. Its why i wont bother with protein powder mixes on trail either.
    Anything with protein in it will stink to high heaven if not washed out well.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

http://www.blenderbottle.com/products.html/

Don't laugh. These bottles rock. If you drink protein blends, they work wonderful.

Although at home I just run everything my Vitamix 5200 :-D

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

Ah, shaken not stirred! (said in my best Bond imitation)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

;-)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Sarah, blenderbottle looks nice, but 4 ounces seems heavy for a one trick pony. Maybe the wire whisk ball is the secret, and maybe I can find a lighter substitute. Of course, I would have to make sure that I didn't swallow the ball.

–B.G.–

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Bob — you can get just the blender-ball on eBay for under $2 (search "whisk ball").

And about the clean-up, for MB, I was going to mix the whole thing in a freezer bag, rinse quickly with H20 afterwards, and relegate to my trash. I guess whether the extra fb is worth it depends how much you like smoothies for breakfast…

But it still begs the question as to how the Packit Gourmet smoothies emulsify the fruit…

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/fruit-smoothies.aspx#.Ui4h7GR4ZIg

And if you look how it is done, you won't be drinking it ;-)

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Well, I'd probably drink the palm oil product on a backpacking trip, but I also like to bring Cheetos!!!! I don't *usually* eat like that when I'm home, though… :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

You know it ;-)

Colton Akers
    BPL Member

@akers07

Locale: Indiana

I make a breakfast shake with 16oz of water or so. 2 packets of carnation instant breakfast, one scoop of protein powder of choice, and 1/2 the amount(for 16oz of water)of nido powdered whole milk. Pretty filling. I don't always have a huge appetite right after waking up and usually eat breakfast a mile or 2 in the day. This shake is a good way to get something in quick while breaking camp.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I make a breakfast shake with 16oz of water or so. 2 packets of carnation instant breakfast, one scoop of protein powder of choice, and 1/2 the amount(for 16oz of water)of nido powdered whole milk."

Nice one, Colton.

terry tiedeman
    BPL Member

@terry62

My buddy makes extra thick smoothies at home and dehydrates in the fruit roll up tray on the dehydrator. They re-hydrate almost instantly and taste good. Super easy unless you are preparing for a through hike. Probably too much trouble then. I use chia seeds with organic freeze dried fruit powders soaked in my water bottle. Not really a smoothie but still good. I also use the vega powders because they are so finely ground they are super smooth and go down easy when mixed with water.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"The problem is that the f.d. berry powder does not seem to want to mix well with the milk base. Do I need something to act as an emulsifier?"

Try mixing just a tiny bit of your milk base with the f.d. powder and stirring into a paste. Then add the rest of your milk base and stir/shake until you have your smoothie. It's often easier to mix powders into a thicker base first instead of trying to mix it in all the liquid at once.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"I also use the vega powders because they are so finely ground they are super smooth and go down easy when mixed with water."

Big fan of the Vega mixes – it's what I bring for my liquid meals on the trail, and what I use when going stoveless for breakfast and dinner.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

If you like Vega you might also like SunWarrior as well…..

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"If you like Vega you might also like SunWarrior as well….."

I'll check it out, thanks Sarah!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

They were nice and sent me some samples – I've been adding it Kirk's drinks – he likes it. It isn't gritty and he likes that he can get a sprouted rice blend/no soy!

Warner B

@wlb

Here is my base. I am a nutritionist and have been a world fitness champion. The important thing on the trail is a complex carb with protein and fiber to start your day.

I start with 2/3 to 1 cup dry oatmeal in a blender. Blend on high until it becomes oat flower. Then mix in either

powdered egg whites-typically about 6-8 eggs worth for a guy. you can buy a bucket of them on amazon and they are pretty tasteless

or

Knox gelatin- 4 envelopes is about 24 grams of protein and is pretty much tasteless. backpackers should be eating knox geletan daily to avoid knee and joint damage, our diet typically does not include connective tissue which is the basis for the gelatin and the amino acid blend helps feed and strengthen your connective tissues i.e. tendons and cartilage

or

whey protein powder- get a really good brand like Beverly or Optimum not some wally world, cosco, or overpriced GNC stuff, the cheap brands are cheap for a reason, i dont have enough space to expand but for a few extra pennies per serving get the good stuff or go cheap and smell the result. The better brands also have better flavor, I typically use Beverly vanilla, Beverly chocolate tastes like ovaltine and is also good mixed dry into peanut butter to form a thick dry paste for high protein high calorie snacks, Optimum has a lot of good flavors I am not affiliated with any of these companies just my opinion

add the protein source to the blender of now powdered oatmeal and blend together

you can add whatever you like here- dry bananas, blueberries, strawberries, anything you like to dehydrate or can find dry at Trader Joes, whole foods etc and blend well
    you can also mix banana pudding or whatever flavor dry pudding mix you like the taste of

put into a freezer bag and on the trail you can either add hot water or cold. If you want to carry a shaker cup with lid you can eliminate the metal ball and put 10 almonds into your dry mix to agitate it. With the almonds you gain a lot of omega 3 fat, a real plus.

I typically like to just add chopped pecans and dry raisins or cranberries to the dry mix and then on the trail add hot water and eat out of freezer bag with a spoon. You can add cold water and drink the mix as a smoothie if you prefer

I carry one of these for breakfast each day, usually with a different dry protein source and flavor in each bag. Always with the oatmeal base, even if you dont like oatmeals typical texture try it this way. super fast, super easy, super nutritious breakfast

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools