Topic

UL Trail Notebook

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) UL Trail Notebook

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I like to carry a small notebook to jot down reminders, directions, and thoughts while I hike and backpack. I was carrying a Rite in the Rain notebook for a while, but I didn't actually have a problem keeping it in a plastic bag with other stuff. I wasn't trying to write a haiku during a thunderstorm. I also ended every trip with tons of spare pages, having only used maybe 20.

The Moleskine Volant Mini is tiny. I don't own a scale, but I doubt it gets much lighter. It fits in my wallet. The pages tear out, and as a bonus, the grey ones match your Palomino Blackwing 602's.

MS

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I keep notes on the margins and blank back sides of topo maps. Zero extra weight.

–B.G.–

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"I keep notes on the margins and blank back sides of topo maps. Zero extra weight."

Good tip!

That is what I have been doing for a long time. Also, if you make notes on places you stopped or would like to explore, it makes it easy when you come back.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Max,

If you are really looking for the lightest option, I already did the research for you :)

JMT Pencil and Paper

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Nick, with all of those fancy pencils and onionskin paper, how do you manage to write anything using just your thumbs?

–B.G.–

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

I don't "text"

:)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have sewn a few folded pages together to make notebooks. You can buy Rite in the Rain paper or National Geographic "Adventure Paper" if you want some water resistance.

steven franchuk

@surf

If you already carry a smart phone or an e-book (such as a kindle), for no extra weight you can get note book apps for them that would eliminate the need to carry separate paper and pencil.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

for LT i took some thick-ish notebook paper cut it to 4×6 then folded it half and put a staple in the middle. .4oz plus whatever my little pen weighs. was simple enough to keep a journal and notes.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Steven, call me a classicist, but there's just something about paper that will always trump a phone.

Also, most definitely there are lighter options, but if you guys are like me, a lightweight object in any segment of your life brings a sense of childlike wonder and joy that only shopping addicts truly understand. This little guy's in my pocket right now.

@Nick
    , consider the last sentence of my OP a tribute to your timeless and priceless review, my personal favorite on BPL.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools