Topic

A tip: Thinking about a Sony RX100II? A funny way to save weight and $’s

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography A tip: Thinking about a Sony RX100II? A funny way to save weight and $’s

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Maybe this could be usefull for someone here…

Sony just released a Lens and sensor module (with similar specs to the RX100II) that can clip on to a smartphone.

The module is lighter and cheaper than a RX100II.

So, if you are already carrying a smartphone and want the RX100II, then you can save some grams.

seen on:
    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-cybershot-dsc-qx100

Personally, i'd be annoyed by the bulkiness of the module + smartphone setup. Probably better for non-backpacking/wilderness vacation.

But i'll give kudos to Sony for experimenting, maybe it'll lead to something really smart…

/Peter

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Nice try, but it falls short at $500, and doesn't shoot RAW. Seems the big appeal to the author is the ability to use it to instantly share the picture via your Smart Phone. Being a non-Face book person, I find this totally useless.

I have been completely satisfied with my RX100, which really isn't that much more money than this.

I also found that the Apple Camera Connection Kit (a dongle for the SD card) works flawlessly with my iPad to transfer JPEGs, although I rarely use it, unless I want to preview a batch of pictures. I would guess it would work with an iPhone, but would eat up memory quickly. Seems the app for this thing places a smaller file on the phone.

Also there are now wireless SD cards on the market, but I haven't used one.

Thumbs down from me, but I bet a lot of young people will gobble them up for their texting-addiction.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Nick, i agree, i thought i would let somebody else do the bashing… :-)

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I just picked up the RX100 M2 (I really liked the option of being able to add an external flash) and love the camera. One bonus feature of the M2 version is that it creates a hotspot and you can easily transfer photos to a smartphone or iPad so you don't need WiFi-enabled SD cards.

NoCO-Jim
    BPL Member

@noco-jim

Locale: NoCO

You know, some of the smartphones alone, take some "good enough" pics, enhanced by some of the HDR apps that are out there.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

Most photographers buy lenses as an investment to use with camera body's that get replaced less often. This Sony is a throw away lens just like most point-and-shoot cameras. I'd rather have a Nokia 808 or Nokia 1020 if I was planning on using my smartphone as a dedicated camera.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools