Topic

What food (or drink) do you often wish you had carried more of?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition What food (or drink) do you often wish you had carried more of?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

After a recent pack trip, I swore I'd carry more coffee next time. Well next time came (and went), and I carried more coffee, and I wish I'd carried even more. It seems I can't carry enough of it to keep me and my companions happy.

(On the other hand, I seem to carry too much jerky. Blech, already.)

What food or drink do you often wish you'd carried more of?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I wish there were more water sources in the desert so I could carry less of it :)

I bring coffee, but always have enough.

That's it. I mostly drink water. If Kool-Aid would bring back the Kool-Aid with cyclamates, I would bring that.

And whatever happened to the Wilson meat bars and the bacon bars? Those were great.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Nick, I have a bacon bar here in my kitchen. It has to be at least thirty years old.

–B.G.–

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Bob,

I wonder if it is still edible? They used to last a long time. Maybe it ages well like good wine :!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Nick, from what I can tell, the foil and plastic wrapper is still intact.

I figure that I will leave it sitting around for another few decades until the next big one hits. Once California breaks into several pieces and stores are hard to find, I may not care how old the bacon bar is.

–B.G.–

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

I get tired of just water so I always wish I had brought more Gatorade powder to help me drink more. I also tire of GORP quickly and wish I had brought a store-bought spicy mix of some kind. But I never tire of GU Chomps (every flavor is great) or chocolate bars of any kind.

Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Locale: Bay Area

Surprisingly, the Nuun Cola are pretty tasty. I'm not even big on cola at home, but I get tired of gatorade or lemonade. If only Nuun wasn't so expensive.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I always finish the bread I bring along and wish I had a little more.
    With olive oil, with Salame, with cheese, Nutella……

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

On the week-long trips, I used to always wish I had brought more variety. On our recent trip to the Sierras, I brought a wide selection of stuff, so that I never got too bored with eating the same thing day after day.

Some of my recent faves included freeze-dried yogurt drops (baby food section of grocery — not calorie-dense, but super light, and they tasted great); Justin's nut butter squeeze packs; bacon jerky (I thought about dipping in chocolate, but was worried about melting issues); and Cheetos.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

> I always finish the bread I bring along

Now that you mention it…yes. One reason bread is worthy of extras: it also serves as a pot scrubber. Sopping out the cook pot with bread saves a lot of water for rinsing.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

For me its always cheese, cured meats, salted nuts and crackers and of course bread :-)

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

This stuff:
    Tea mix

It gives you a phenomenal amount of flavor for just 2 grams of mix in each packet. Each packet is actually strong enough for 1 liter even though that is technically half strength per the instructions. Since it's so light, I guess I'll just keep bringing more until I get sick of it!

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Ooo, thanks for the peach tea tip. Must find and try.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Now that I've tried it (thanks Lee Oz!), Drambuie.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

On every trip there is something that I wish I carried more of. On the next trip I bring more of it and barely touch it.

I always end up with a bunch of cooked food and no no-cook food at the end of a trip, kinda sucks having to stop and cook lunch on your last day when you are rushed.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

So . . . something salty.

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

Fritos!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I cannot believe that nobody here drinks all the whiskey and/or beer and wishes they had more.

At least Doug mentioned alcohol.

Cheers to you Mr. Ide.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"At least Doug mentioned alcohol."

Doug is a shameless, unrepentant sinner, doomed to spend eternity where the only thing he'll be wishing for is that cold one that's always just out of reach.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Doug is a shameless, unrepentant sinner,"

You're right about that…

"doomed to spend eternity where the only thing he'll be wishing for is that cold one that's always just out of reach."

I'm already there, only I'm wishing for the warm one that's always just out of reach … but I'll get her yet…..

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I'm already there, only I'm wishing for the warm one that's always just out of reach … but I'll get her yet….."

The horny old dude that calls the shots where you're going is just giving you a preview of what it's going to be like down there. She's going to be just out of reach, too, lasciviously sipping on that cold one.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools