Topic

whats the best trail mp3 player?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) whats the best trail mp3 player?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    alex hansen

@holden425

normally i prefer to just enjoy the sounds of nature while in the back country, but ive been thinking about taking am mp3 on a longer trip

what would be the best MP3 player with the best battery life to weight ratio? i dont care about the GB, i think i would never be able to fill up a 16GB music player in my life so that ought to be fine, even 8 GB.

so far the best one i can find is this:
    http://store.apple.com/us/buy-ipod/ipod-nano

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I've got a Sansa Clip Zip I use for working out/commuting/at work. Its itty-bitty, has a built-in clip, an FM tuner, accepts micro SD cards, and uses a standard micro USB cable for charging. Mine has pretty good run time. I've been able to listen to it for a couple hours a day for most of the week and just recharge it on the weekend. I really like that it uses the same charging/data cable as my cell phone and has expandable storage.
    http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B005FVNGRS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378321652&sr=8-1&keywords=sansa+clip+zip

I paired it with a pair of JVC Riptidz headphones which claim to sweat-proof for a cheap, light, really good sounding set up.
    http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAFX8B-Headphone-Riptidz-In-Ear/dp/B005FDOVPM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378321866&sr=8-1&keywords=riptidz

If I happen to misplace it or break it I'm not going to be too upset since I've only got $50 or so invested including an 8GB micro SD card. Its certainly less flashy than the Ipod but if all you want to do it listen to sermons how many features do you need :D. And in that case, if you have a smartphone you can probably just load the MP3s on there and save yourself the cost and hassle of another device. My phone seems to get pretty good battery life if I put it in airplane mode.

Adam

James Castleberry

@winterland76

Coby 4GB mp3. I like it because it uses a single AAA battery. I listen mainly to podcasts and lectures on the trail, rather than music and find I get closer to 24hr of use from a single AAA battery.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Yup. Ipod shuffle…

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Its good, but the battery isn't replaceable.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I've got a Sansa Clip as well and have been very pleased with it. I like to download podcasts and books mostly. I sometimes take it when I'm going solo in the winter when it gets dark at 5:30. :-)

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I normally carry an iPhone but also a small iPod shuffle. That combination works nice because I can either shuffle through the songs or play specific songs on the iPhone. The iPod allows me to keep the battery life which is nice because I use the iphone as a phone, camera, journal enterer and a few other things. The few gram weight penalty of the extra ipod is more than worth it for me.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I have a couple – used mostly for audio books – that run on single AAA each, which I like because I'm not limited by the battery life like you are with an Ipod. However, the interfaces on both of mine are junk, confusing and hard to find anything on there. An Ipod is okay for a short trip, but if you listen an hour or two a day as I usually do, you need more battery life than they offer.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

+1 for the Coby mp3 player

Replaceable AAA batteries are a key feature to me and the fact that mine doesn't have any kind of display to add to battery drain is a plus (just buttons, no screen). The battery lasts a very long time.

alex hansen

@holden425

The coby looks good but the specs on its batterie life are not so good. However you guys are saying itmay run for around 24 hours, while on amazon it reports only like 8-10 hours. How is an extra 14 hours possible?

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

For me none. YMMV

Dave T

@davet

another vote for a shuffle. been using the heck out of my little one for a year, hiking, bike riding, etc. tiny, long battery life, plenty of storage. mostly filled with podcasts, but also some music. very happy with it.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

>> The coby looks good but the specs on its batterie life are not so good. However you guys are saying itmay run for around 24 hours, while on amazon it reports only like 8-10 hours. How is an extra 14 hours possible? <<

There are a lot of different models of Coby players around. I picked up an old model that doesn't have a screen because I knew the battery life would be very good. The ones that can play videos will have a significantly lower battery life.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I've used the Sansa clip, and overall liked it. But now i would just use my phone (i finally broke down and got a smart phone after all these years), and bring an extra, rechargeable lithium battery powersource as backup.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

I used to bring a Shuffle but found I was without power too often and I didn't like the interface that much either (although that was secondary of course). I went with a Nano and it is way easier to get to what you want and most importantly the battery life is quite a bit better. Also, when the battery life indicates the lowest capacity, it will still keep on going for a long time afterwards. It is also very thin and light, and for me the size is a bit easier to handle than the shuffle (of course there is a 7.5 gram weight penalty).

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

I'd ditch my smartphone and buy a cheap feature phone with great battery life, memory card slot and headphone connection. Maybe get one with built in light too.

Multiple use gear:

-Phone
    -Flashlight
    -MP3 player
    -Alarm clock

and very cheap…

Nokia makes some with these features.

I'm about to get one myself :-)

/Peter

James Castleberry

@winterland76

Yes, if the player has a video screen, it means shorter battery life. Don't get that type. I use standard Duracell coppertops with mine. Maybe I don't get a full 24 hours for each one but definitely more than 8 or 10. If you live in Sacto area, you can get the Coby players at Fry's.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools