Topic

Ultralight Group Cooking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Ultralight Group Cooking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Thinking about submitting. There are suppose to be standards See here.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/authors.html

But being BPL there is a catch 22 when it comes to finances.

6. AUTHOR is paid upon article publication.

yet further down the page.

Backpacking Light doesn't normally offer financial compensation for contributors,

but we do offer complimentary memberships to all contributors, as well as complimentary Lifetime Memberships to regular contributors.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Okay, after careful consideration, I figured it out.

When ther article was being uploaded, the SSL Certificate warning popped up, which accidentally erased the 2nd half of the article. Sounds plausible to me.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

But the copyright is expired also. Look at the bottom of the page.

Shambles.

Next week looks lame too. Grayson Highlands again, yet another New Balance review.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Where is the editorial calendar, Ken? I found an old thread that mentioned it, but the URL went to a page that hadn't been updated in years.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

No editorial calendar since Addie left. But the weekly newsletter gives next weeks titles

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"But the copyright is expired also. Look at the bottom of the page."

I tell them about that over and over, but they ignore me.

–B.G.–

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

The neglect is a real shame Bob. Found something else that is behind being updated

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ULAZ.html

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Thank you, Ken. I had the newsletter turned off.

Tony Ronco
    BPL Member

@tr-browsing

+1 on that this "article" is pure ad …

Article Title Could have been more transparent on its intent –
    From the title, I was hoping that the article would have a market review, or comparisons with alternatives to group cooking with alcohol stove such as an Esbit titanium folding stove without its tray (ala Lite Trail … in which the Cricket stand is very similar to), the TD Caldera, the now no longer available MBD group stove, the Trangia 28 stand, or the other many various stands that are available as DIY projects, or available commercially by cottage craftsmen, (etc).

(by the way, I've been in group cooking situations using alcohol stoves that have, one time or another, utilized the first four alternatives listed above and they all worked fine … the Caldera seemed to boil water faster utilizing a MSR 2 L pot … but that's a subjective, not a measured, observation … hmm, good basis for an article ;-)

Philosophy ? –
    RJ in his editorial note says "I'm not impressed with most DIY solutions – arranging rocks, stabbing tent stakes into the ground …" From my perspective, this doesn't seems to be in alignment with the philosophy approach expressed in his video series “The SUL Wanderer” … (specifically where RJ fore goes a BushBuddy by arranging rocks into a small fire ring) or in his "SUL Mindset" series, that it emphasized less vs lighter mindset (and that had the rather provocative sub-title, containing: "One important goal of SUL is to take less stuff, not buy new stuff. If you have to buy new stuff, then I think that regardless of your pack weight, consider that you may have transcended away from the ultralight philosophy and into ultralight hypocrisy")
    Opps! wait a minute I just realized this is a UL article not a SUL article: my bad (*smile*)

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

As with any folding stove, the weakest point is the hinge. This one LOOKS like a rivet of some kind. Is it field-replaceable? If not, why not?

The folding titanium Esbit tablet stove that BPL offered many years ago had this same problem. folks took to drilling out the rivet and replacing it with a bolt and nut.

I didn't see this as a commercial. Full disclosure was given early on that this had been a Kickstarter project that did not get funded and that the design was being presented for those who might wish to make their own, or something similar.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Full disclosure was given early on that this had been a Kickstarter project that did not get funded and that the design was being presented for those who might wish to make their own, or something similar."

Actually, this is incorrect. The abstract says nothing about Kickstarter or anything.

–B.G.–

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Bob –

Forget the abstract; read the article, especially the Editor's Note that leads off the article. Here is the second paragraph of same:

"Editor's Note
    ……..1st paragraph deliberately deleted……

Peter attempted to get this project funded on Kickstarter, but it didn't go. That doesn't mean the design doesn't have value, so we're publishing the design idea and prototype description here for the benefit of the BPL community. – RJ"

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Mr. Bankhead, I'm sorry that you do not understand.

One cannot read the article without purchasing it. One would expect to read the abstract and determine whether it was worthy of purchase. In this case, the abstract doesn't do much that is accurate.

–B.G.–

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

I was not aware that one could purchase individual articles. That doesn't sound very cost effective to me.

I does sounds like an excellent reason to purchase a BPL membership so such maneuvers are unnecessary as all articles, reviews, and other site content is thereby always available.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I was not aware that one could purchase individual articles. That doesn't sound very cost effective to me.

I does sounds like an excellent reason to purchase a BPL membership so such maneuvers are unnecessary as all articles, reviews, and other site content is thereby always available."

Mister Bankhead, if you choose to pour your own money down a rathole, then that is your decision. I've held a paid membership before, and I can see the general trend (downward).

–B.G.–

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

If Bob G was really on his game he would have noticed Ken's immediate summary before he had purchased it….oh wait.

I imagine Bob doesn't really need financial advice — of coarse maybe its time for him to purchase a new fast zoom camera lense??

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"If Bob G was really on his game he would have noticed Ken's immediate summary before he had purchased it….oh wait."

Of course I read Ken's summary. I didn't just notice it.

"I imagine Bob doesn't really need financial advice — of coarse maybe its time for him to purchase a new fast zoom camera lense??"

Of course. And of course I have a new fast zoom camera lens.

What is your point, exactly?

–B.G.–

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

Simmer down Bob.

Point 1: Ken blessed us with his cliff notes within 10 mins of the article….only to have his post deleted. The joke was, "well if Bob just would have read Ken's review then he wouldn't have been hoodwinked….'oh wait' Kens negative summary was deleted"

Point 2: I am sure you are well able to forecast whether you will be better off buying the few articles you're likely to be interested in separately or dropping $25 all at once…and the horror if you end up wanting to see 7-8 articles in a year. The joke was "Then again, I could be wrong (with your interest in photographing wildlife), if it is time to buy a new lens (wouldn't be cheap right?), then examples of how to get the most mileage outta each $5 or $10 bill might be highly welcomed.

For what its worth, I was gonna right…"whenever Bob wants to read an article he just logs in under gross bob"

John Hillyer
    BPL Member

@trnamelucky

Ken,

OK…so how does one receive or find the weekly newsletter. First I have heard of it.

Thanks

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

" For what its worth, I was gonna right…"whenever Bob wants to read an article he just logs in under gross bob" "

That would be Cameron Kennedy.

–B.G.–

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Ive always used a circle of wire mesh thats a little less than the ID of pot.
    simple, cheap, readily available.

What the maker of this doesnt realize, is that the distance from the stove to the pot is critical on alcohol stoves. You want flame to cover the pot bottom, but not go up sides to be most efficient.

One size dont fit all.

Its not a very good idea IMO, and its frickin heavy too.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Hopefully BPL will see this as a learning experience. We still have expected standards of quality from this publication. And the bar is set above this one, certainly.

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

There are some amazing articles on BPL and honestly hope to see more stuff like this. How about thermoregulation in deserts and tropical rain-forests?

This, well… it is seriously under par.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Rather have one good article per week than 1 good and 1 mediocre "fill article".

Jacob Smith
    BPL Member

@wrongturn

Locale: The Soda

Lite trail 1600 and a Monatauk gnat for group cooking. Even use the canister stand for extra stability.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools