Topic

Ultralight Group Cooking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Ultralight Group Cooking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

Ultralight Group Cooking

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas
    Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Was this supposed to be an article? Could have fooled me…..
    It came off more as an article you wanted US to write, not read. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I pay to read this stuff? Really?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

So I get deleted for giving this a bad grade.

BPL has now stooped so low to delete comments about the quality or lack of in what is expected to be valued pay for content.

This is not an article. It's an ad, period

Now in my experience doing group trips with other BPLrs, is that everyone like to cook and prepare their own meals with their own set ups. Sharing gear gets some flak here.

The item being developed or not here is pretty limited. I can see why it did not get funded.

Ryan. I want an explanation as to why my post was deleted.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I want an explanation as to why my post was deleted."

Ken, if they deleted the text of your post and then left a note of which moderator did it, then that would be one thing.

However, if they delete the entire post as if it never existed, then you know which person did that. There's only one.

–B.G.–

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

True Bob, I amended my post. Did you notice the ad has not anything useful to add about group cooking? False advertising on BPL's part. Bad title. I suggest a different one above.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

It's really interesting to see Ryan Jordan do anything like that. I mean, in a weird sort of way.

–B.G.–

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

OK so i though last weeks' articles were a bit below the bar…Maybe we are at a Luau and this is a limbo line and the bar is suppose to be getting lower. I don't mean to insult the author of the piece but it's just not the kind of material I would expect to pay for, especially in the context of what has been provided here in the past.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Would now be a bad time to ask when the next packrafting video is coming out?

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

The only way this 'article' has anything to do with group cooking, is that a lightweight yet sturdy pot-stand is needed to hold larger pots. But who cooks large meals with a tiny alcohol stove? Surely not a group of hungry hikers!

This product is a band-aid on your elbow, when you've got a skinned knee.

It's the most common problem inventors have; they don't invent solutions to real problems. They invent problems to solve.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Wow, this was an awesome article!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

How much alcohol would you need to boil a half gallon of icy cold water? All at one go. You can only use this stand(theoretically as it's not available) with certain a type of alcohol stove. Bet my Trangia is too tall. And my Starlyte is too low.

I noticed that the, ahem, author has no membership here. Probably won't get one now.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Aha! I think it is available. Click in the Kickstarter link, and there is a link to his website where they can be ordered.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Of course I did not click on the Kickstarter link. $25 stand only.

Can be used as a saw. If you're reaching that far why not include fish scaler on the list of features.

And now with some other posts here now Ryan do you see the need for more deletion? Alcohol and larger pots? How about a Clikstand? Looks even more stable. Can convert to canister fuel system too.

http://www.clikstand.com/

Oh look, Hendrik backed this project. It's cursed.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I usually don't pile in on these threads, but I was really hoping for a good article on cooking for more than 2. However, in the overall scheme of things it's probably not the worst thing that's going to happen to someone this week. What is the go to stove set up for cooking for a group of 3 to 4?

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I think this idea has merit, but I think the title is all wrong. Once you start talking about group cooking, you move away from alcohol. I love my little alcohol stove, but when I hike with someone else, it just makes more sense to use a canister stove. Once we hike with a big group, or for a long time, it makes sense to use a Jetboil or white gas. Likewise with melting snow for water.

On the other hand, there are places where dealing with a canister stove is difficult (it may be hard to take them on an airplane or buy a canister at your destination). So, there is that.

The greatest value I see of this setup is for anglers who camp in areas where wood burning is not allowed. Typically, you can't guarantee that you will catch a fish. So, you want a stove setup that will allow you to boil water for dinner and breakfast, as well as provide a way to cook some fish (if you are that lucky). I could easily see bringing a Caldera Cone (for boiling water) along with this (one ounce) stand and a flat, aluminum (or titanium) fry pan. Off the top of my head, I think that would be the lightest setup you can have for those conditions.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

I usually read the comments expecting some insight, experience, or further suggestions. I regret reading the comments this time.

I sawed three L-shaped pieces of light steel from an old baseboard heater cover, and cut two notches into each so they lock together into a tripod. Works well and breaks down nicely; 1.1 oz. I made several 1-cm welded-wire stands to fit various alcohol stoves, which have the advantage of fitting around the stove and protecting it (although the pot does a good job of that, too); 1.3-1.5 oz.

My lightest, and unfortunately most ungainly, is the LaMar Kirby coat hanger stand (the stove isn't bad either). The stand holds larger pots and is easily re-shaped; 0.7 oz.

http://www.thefoodguys.com/backpackstove.htm

http://zenstoves.net/PotStands-Other.htm

Greg Pruitt
    Spectator

@gwpruitt

Agree with all the comments noting that:
    1. This is not an article
    2. Not worth paying for such content
    3. Concept – even if presented better is unrealistic for groups
    4. This is a commercial not an informative article

What's next – a series on large group camping in poncho/tarp shelters?

Get real folks!

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I was expecting, from the title, to see some sort of comparison of UL stoves for group cooking purposes. Which would be an article the community would probably be interest in.

Instead, I saw a cool pot stand. I'll give it props, it's cool. I kind of want one.

But- this article was poorly titled and I do agree with the others that this was really an advertisement and not an effort at educating the community. And I think most of us would not classify an alcohol stove as a viable stove for "group cooking".

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

You all missed the point. It is about Kickstarter and the quest to justify group funding for the common good.

;)

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I'm with Dena.

Well, I mean "I agree with Dena" on this one. :) I was expecting something excellent, like Ryan Jordan's article on the fry-bake pans and group cooking.

Having just come back from 49 meals on trail with 12 persons and two Fire Maple 117t's, I am always interested in more hot, smart ideas about group cooking that results in great food without too much weight penalty.

BTW, anyone want to estimate what a pint of olive oil weighs? Ahhhh, it was so good, though!

robert van putten

@bawana

Locale: Planet Bob

49 meals for 12 people –
    That's four meals per person with one leftover.

So who got the extra meal? :)

I'm impressed though, cooking for six people over each stove. I'd be interested in the size of pot you used over those stoves, and how much fuel was used.

It probably doesn't get much lighter than that.
    I've used a Trangia 25 for five people.

I'll cook up a mess of grub for three in the big pot and they get to share it out in bowls, and cook for my wife and I in the small pot and we'll eat right out of that together.
    The only other way I see managing would be a gallon sized pot and a hot white gas stove.

Karl Kerschner
    BPL Member

@distelfink

Q&A as requested by the author of the article "Ultralight Group Cooking" ;-)

1.Does this idea have merit?

Yes, if your alcohol stove requires a stand.

Its greatest value might be as pot support over the new coals of a small, hot, cooking wood fire.

Another potential use is as an aid to bake scones.

2.Are there better solutions?

Hardware cloth is one competitive alternative. It is less expensive, immediately and widely available, easier to make, and competitive in all other aspects; but it is not as elegant.

3.What do you use?
    Brasslite alcohol stoves. They have a built-in ss pot stand.
    The brass stoves are heavier than cat stoves but the stand is built-in, brass is an efficient conductor of heat, and its simmer ring allows you to better cook certain foods and save fuel in the right conditions.
    Turbo I-D for solo.
    Turbo II-D for two.
    Turbo II-D with attached stand for wider pots for two people, or as "training wheels" when the other person is new to cooking on the trail. Used occasionally.

In the interest of full disclosure I do not own an interest in nor am in any way affiliated with Brasslite.com; I am only a fan.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

was there an actual real tested review with real world usage somewhere?

;)

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

That would be useful. I can see some merit in this stove in the right niche. Shame the article is like an advertisement. I agree its a bit below standard. Weird.

All can be amended with some nice independent reviews though…maybe send it out to a couple of people!

:-)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools