Topic

Where is that thread about pot size for melting snow?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Where is that thread about pot size for melting snow?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I'm interested in getting a dual purpose pot for pasta and melting snow for solo use. I can't find that thread that went on for quite a bit the last year or less. Any help? It mentioned the more efficient size for melting snow, I have to use a pot that holds 48 oz. of water to make spaghetti so it ought to be able to handle both. Thank you.
    Duane

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Duane, why don't you type "pot size for melting snow" in the Search BPL box. There are several threads that come up, and maybe one of them is what you are looking for.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I tried a few versions since last night, I'll try somemore.
    Duane

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I use a 2 liter AGG hard anodized pot, It's about 5 1/2" diameter which seems wide enough so that I'm not wasting too much heat up the sides. I find that size works well for one or two people snow camping. Haven't seem anything wider and lower in that same volume. Of course, a heat exchanger pot will be even more efficient and probably worth the extra weight if the trip is more than a few days.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

In the old, old days, I used to use some large pots for snow when it was a group trip. Generally, it was the four quart pots that got used the most.

However, for a small group like two or three backpackers or skiers, I would use a two quart pot. That was as small as seemed practical.

For a solo trip, I think I went with a one quart pot, but I never did that many solo winter trips.

David Thomas had the suggestion to take two pots. While one pot is over the burner, put the second pot on top of the first pot to capture some of the wasted steam.

–B.G.–

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Well, Duane, you probably already have this in your inventory. The pot in the back of the picture can be stacked per Bob's comment. Plus it is classic, although not UL :)

svea and tourist

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I sold a set like that to Duane. I have another in the garage.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Nick, I do have that, Ken sold it with a 123 to me, I'll have to weigh it all. I was thinking tonight that maybe I needed to weight the set, or parts I could take snow camping.
    I'm away from home now can't check stuff out til Friday night. I have an old Mirro 6 cup+ aluminum pot that weights 5.8 oz. I've had for years, if I sacrificed it, I could shave the handle quite a bit, and if I could do a nice job trimming unneeded material off the height, I could beat many UL pots, even ti I think, but it has no lid. I only need a pot for solo use as that is what I mostly do, when on group trips, we come prepared to take care of our individual selves or partners. The Stanco grease pot is too small and the 1.5 qt. grease pot Wally World has is too heavy that I checked out after work today. I could use the old ti Olicamp pot I've had for quite a few years, as that has been my snow melting pot for many years, but from that earlier thread, I guess a slightly wider pot is great. I'll do a more thorough search later or tomorrow night. I have time to look some more, no snow camping for a few more months, unless I get snowed on again in early Oct on my vacation. From this past winter, I need to leave the lid on when melting snow over a kerosene fired stove, other wise, it tastes like kero fumes.
    Duane

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"other wise, it tastes like kero fumes."

It's an acquired taste.

–B.G.–

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Jose Cuervo help? :)
    Duane

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Could not find the thread from this last winter, so going off of my experience fixing spaghetti last weekend, went with a Evernew, 1.3L, ti pot, over an oz lighter than the aluminum pot I used from home. However, Campsaver was about the only place with it in stock and their site is messed up, I could not get confirmation my Paypal account had been charged, so hopefully I will get this resolved. Not needed for a few months, someone ought to have it in stock by then. Just was nice to save on shipping and get 20% off.
    Duane

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

For winter I use a 2 liter Jet Boil pot B/C its fins seem to help speeed the heating process and the (somewhat scorched) neoprene cozy retains heat better.

This pot is also my baking pot with the fiberglass cloth Outback Oven and lid handle thermometer.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I picked up a set of 1.3 and 1.6 litre pots (they share a lid) for 50$ a while back on Department of goods, both are really good for melting snow.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I remembered to weigh my small Sigg pot and the frying pan/lid. They weigh 8.5 oz. then if I use the tiny Optimus pot lifter for my Optimus 99 at .6 oz., I'm at a tad over 9 oz. I was able to call in a order to Campsaver and got the ti pot at a discount and free shipping.
    Duane

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools