Topic

Larapinta Trail, NT, Australia

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Larapinta Trail, NT, Australia

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    nick beaudoin
    BPL Member

@nick_beaudoin

Locale: Palmy

This past July my good friend James and I completed the 230km Larapinta Trail in Australian red centre. We walked west to east in 8 days, with one food drop at the halfway point. We started everyday in the dark and ended everyday in the dark. We had some cold clear conditions the entire trip with no rain. We were pretty dialled in with our set up, even though neither of us do much arid walking. We were always on the edge of hydration and always finished the day dry. We blew out most of our bladders but made it to the end. We saw few hikers along the way and enjoyed a bit of solitude. Here are a few pictures of an amazing trip.

JD

First high camp

MT Sonder

Mt Sonder Sunrise

Ormiston gorge

Heavy tree range

Heavy tree

Cold mornings

2nd night camp

Looking west

Heavitree valley

Sunrise

Valley

JD

rocky

Afternoon drag

Flys

Ghost Gum

Nick

Steep

Steep 2

Nick

JD

Breaky

Gorge

Last night

Alice Springs

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Nick

Good photos. In many cases, I think we camped at exactly the same places as you did. It is really very different. But it is dry there, ennit!

Cheers

nick beaudoin
    BPL Member

@nick_beaudoin

It was very dry, even my Alice standards. We saw very little water in the permanent holes and never drank from them.

What did surprise me, was the "not positive" reaction by traditional hikers on our pace and style of walking. What better place in this country then up there to be UL. Oh well, one day they will realise just much easier it all is.

Nick

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> one day they will realise just much easier it all is.
    Why bother? Just cruise past, waving goodbye.

Cheers

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Looks like a great trip. Any plans to add a few more words and/or a gear list?

What tent is the green mid?

nick beaudoin
    BPL Member

@nick_beaudoin

Hi Rod,
    The green mid is a Bearpaw PyraNet 2. I had jigged a bit to fit the trailstar and over the last year when needed it has been a great set up for 2 in bad weather. On this trip we mostly used the inner alone and loved the quick and easy set up after very long days.

As for the rest of the gear we both ran Zpacks Zero's with rool top closures and front pockets. We both used full length eva foam pads as frames and when sleeping we coupled the foam with inflatable torso pads and down quilts. We used esbit and fires for cooking with 550ml Ti pots with all meals FBC made by JD and I at home in dehydrators.

We both wore shorts, wool t shirts, Inov8 trailroc 245's, windshirts and down jackets. We used one sawyer squeeze for water treatment and blew up almost all bladders by the end of the trip, even an evernew bladder. We carried water bottles on our shoulders straps and used Nuun tablets with every refill.

I really would't change anything that we brought, we were both happy and used everything that was in our packs.

This was our trip,

Larapinta Distances Trail Notes

Saturday 29th Day 1
    1. Redbank Gorge to Rocky Bar look out = 17km Easy Carry Water from Rocky Bar
    CAMP 17km Rocky Bar Gap/Lookout

Sunday 30th Day 2
    2. Rocky Bar Look out to Glen Helen JTC = 14km Medium Climb
    3. Glen Helen/ Finke River to Ormiston Gorge = 9.5km Medium Flat
    4. Ormiston Gorge to Waterfall Gorge = 15.5km Hard Climb and Carry water to Waterfall Camp
    CAMP 34km Waterfall Gorge

Monday 1rst Day 3
    5. Waterfall Gorge to Serpentine Chalet Dam = 13km Hard Undulating Hills
    6. Serpentine Chalet Dam to Serpentine Gorge = 13.5km Hard Climb & Descent
    CAMP 26.5km Serpentine Gorge

Tuesday 2nd Day 4
    7. Serpentine Gorge to Ellery Creek = 14km Hard Flat, pay to Get through this section
    7. Ellery Creek to Rocky Gully = 15.5km Medium Flat
    CAMP Rocky Gully 29.5km

Wednesday 3rd Day 5
    8. Rocky Gully to Hugh Gorge = 16km Medium Undulating
    9. Hugh Gorge to Fringe Lily Creek = 8km Very Hard Small Climbs
    10. Fringe Lily Creek to Birthday Waterhole = 8km Very Hard Big Climb/Big descent
    CAMP 32km Birthday Waterhole

Thursday 4th Day 6
    11. Birthday Waterhole to Brinkley Bluff = 7km Very Hard Biggest/ Steepest Climb
    12. Brinkley Bluff to Standley Chasm = 10km Very Hard All Descent
    CAMP 17km Standley Chasm

Friday the 4th Day 7
    13. Standley Chasm to Jay Creek = 15km Hard Climb + High route
    14. Jay Creek to Mulga Camp = 11km Medium Flat
    CAMP Mulga Camp 26km

Saturday 5th Day 8
    15. Mulga Camp to Simpsons Gap = 14km Medium Flat
    16. Simpsons Gap to Wallaby Gap = 11km Medium Undulating
    CAMP 25km Wallaby Gap

Sunday 6th Day 9/Fly out
    18. Wallaby Gap to Telegraph Station = 14km Medium Undulating
    Alice Springs 14km

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools