Topic

Tarptent Contrail Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarptent Contrail Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Does anyone here use the Contrail with a fixed-length trekking pole? How long?
    How about with the Easton pole from Tarptent?
    How's that working for you?
    I just ordered a Contrail and as I'm not a big fan of trekking poles I was just wondering how well it does without one.
    Thanks,
    Craig

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I have not used a Contrail but have used the original Squall and a MYOG TT1. If Henry still uses this pole stock:
    .344" x .019" wall (.023 lbs/ft, 96,000psi)
    (I'd be surprised if not) then my experience would probably apply to the Contrail as well.

I started using trekking poles in 2006 and that is what I use in my TT1 and what I'll use with a Rainshadow at Philmont in a month.

The standard Tarptent pole is adequate. Some caveats:
    * will sink into soft ground …. place it on top of a flat stone or piece of bark or something.
    * with the std length guyline running from the top of the pole you can get enough compressive force to bow the pole, especially if you are trying for a really tight pitch. I use a longer guyline (about 2 ft longer). That changes the geometry and reduces that compressive force a bit.
    * I've been tempted to switch up to one of the larger diameter poles but it hasn't been enough of a problem for me to do that even though I have a very convenient source (a 5 minute walk from where I work)

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Craig,
    I have the old style Virga from Henry (floorless) and I found that the pole just was not my favorite thing to use. I would take one hiking pole if I used the tent for other outdoor sports like canoe camping. The best part about using a trekking pole was that during high winds and rain, I had the ability to lower the front and could hunker down and ride it out. The pole that came with the tent doesn't allow for that. Also, that pole just seemed too unstable for me.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

I use a fixed length pole with my Contrail. It works just fine- you just keep the pole at an angle and protruding forward just like Henrys pic show. Not only dose this allow you to pull the pole in twords you (while in the tent) to adjust and compensate for stretch but it is also out of your way for entry/exit. I use a single 51" pole -pretty tall but it still works fine, I also am thinking about ordering the pole Henry sells on his site for when I dont want to bring any trekking pole.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools