Topic

6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 389 total)
  • Author
    Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

At GGG III three years ago Coyote Creek was too high to cross at China Hole.
    I just came back from a 24 hour trip to Henry Coe and used my packraft on Kelly Lake. When hiking back to the Coyote Creek entrance, it somehow clicked.
    It should be possible to packraft from the headquarter (Poverty Flat) to Hunting Hollow or even Coyote Reservoir. Now at home, a short Google search brought up this link Coyote Creek east of Morgan Hill.
    Depending on the water levels that could be a nice trip during GGG VI. Anyone up to trying this? With two or more people participating we could park one car at Hunting Hollow, drive to headquarter, set up camp, packraft to Hunting Hollow the next morning.

Any thoughts?

Manfred

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

I am new to backpacking light and this event looks really cool, would this be a good event to attend as a newbie? If so I would love to go.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

All experience levels are welcome.

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

Great! Signed up!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Spots are going pretty fast.

Thanks so much to those who have registered already.

GGG Registration

Michael Driscoll
    BPL Member

@hillhikerz

Locale: Monterey Bay

Manfred that is completely out of the box thinking… But I like it… It looks to be a 14 mile run from just down from the Deer spring area trail crossing to Coyote res. headwaters… with 4 to China hole I think, that would be no shuttle and a quick hike… Anyway keep us posted on further research and thoughts on this wild ride…

James Castleberry

@winterland76

Ken
    I'm signed up.
    Manfred
    Count me in for that packrafting idea if it happens.
    Jim

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

No lifeguard will be present. Just sayin'.
    Sound cool though.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

OMG… whoever it was that brought those brownies last year should get free entrance to this years GGG… because… well. wowzier!

(ps: totally agree that brownies should not have nuts or chunks of anything… brownies should be able to be mashed against the top of your mouth and just provide pure pleasure to the person eating them!)

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

Don't know about Doug, but I'm not sure I can be trusted alone with any quantity of brownies for two hours.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Don't know about Doug, but I'm not sure I can be trusted alone with any quantity of brownies for two hours."

I promise I will keep them away from Sharon.

I will keep them all to myself…..

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Half capacity reached already.

Thanks everyone on the feedback on the registration site.

I remember some really good cookies too.

Come for the gear, stay for the food.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

This is as good of a time as any for me to mention that I suffer from night terrors and it's not uncommon for me to wake up in the middle of the night screaming while running through a campground tearing down shelters and tents. For whatever reason, brownies seem to be the only cure.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Good thing we have access to a pair of these.

pig trap

Pig trap. I love irony.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Ha ha! Zing!

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

About how long would it take to get there (TH) after reaching Sac? Traffic time(s) to avoid? I'll be west bound, eat dinner in Roseville or somewhere before hitting the Bay area. If I work all day, I'd be in Sac about 6PM or earlier.
    Thanks for the location link, that gives me an idea where I have to end up, just off of 101 even! I can find that.
    Duane

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

I am flying in early on the 24th to the San Jose airport. If anyone else is flying in that day would anyone be interested in carpooling? I have a really good discount on car rentals through my work and I could get a Minivan or large van for about $25 a day. It'd be a great way to save money be and a good way to get to know people on the drive up as well. I am flying out the afternoon of the 26th. If anyone is interested please let me know.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

No parking allowed now near the bridge at mile 7.1. Next closest legal parking is at Hunting Hollow, or Coyote Park.

Also, that bridge might be the last legal takeout above Coyote Reservoir. Below the bridge is barbed wire fence and "No Trespassing" signs until you get to Coyote Reservoir.

USGS river gage on Coyote Creek two miles below Hunting Hollow, still reporting data automatically during the "lapse in appropriations"
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ca/nwis/uv/?site_no=11169800

Would love to join you, but I can unexpectedly roll any watercraft under 5 feet wide!

— Rex

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I don't know the answer Duane. Have you tried Mapquest? The estimates seem reasonable in my experience.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Ken, I'll check that out. A Matt replied to me by PM, said about 2.5 hours from Sac. Just need to figure out if I can camp somewhere Thursday night or find a "hood" to sleep in. :) Took a couple wrong turns after getting gas at night a few years ago, one turn, there was something going down. Just my luck, first trip out of the safety of my mountains and I run into something. Get me outta here!!!
    Duane

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Duane,
    If you are getting to Sac at 6:30 or earlier, I would just drive to Coe instead of trying to find a place to camp in an unfamiliar area.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Duane, the Morgan Hill area near the park is rural wuth plenty of places to park and get some shut eye. Reasonably safe

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Thank you. I had poor directions a few years ago on my first trip down "there" at night. Got new directions at a gas station, went back to where I had gone but a little further and found the turn off, found my way to Bodega Bay then.
    Duane

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Ken I'm in, just need to pay.

Jack

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Almost a capacity crowd already.

@jack
    . Got you, thanks.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 389 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools