Topic

dinner options where stoves are completely banned

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition dinner options where stoves are completely banned

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Vicente Flats in the Ventana Wilderness. Apparently, there is a stove ban at all but a set of "Campfire Use Sites" (which does not include Vicente Flats campground).

Aside from the usual cheese, tortillas, nuts, dried fruit options, how can I make a more satisfying dinner with no hot water? Any ideas?

Thanks,

rhz

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

No many days Rafi?

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

There are some ideas here:
    http://www.pmags.com/going-stoveless-cold-food-for-thought

The idea of going stove-less is interesting to me too. Seems very simple and fast, so it's appealing.

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

It's just one night, but I view it as an opportunity to see what it's like to go "cookless."

I could experiment with couscous I suppose. Maybe bean flakes, but it would seem that either heat or excessive wait time would be required. Also, not sure how appealing these things are cold. Hummus mix perhaps. I guess I should try to experiment at home.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I would bring deli sandwiches for one night :-)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

leftover pizza.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Or a nice salad.

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

Packit Gourmet has some yummy no-cook options. I love their Jump Start Fruit Smoothies for a no-cook breakfast and their Kickin' Chicken Hot Wings Wrap tastes great for lunch or dinner. Just provide your own tortilla.

http://www.packitgourmet.com/Just-Add-COOL-Water-c97.html

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

The smoothies are very nice as are the salads.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

And deserts :-)

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Tabouli. Add cold water. Let soak. Eat.

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Well, I tried out a couple of things at home last night.

Mary Jane Farm Black Bean Flakes (spicy)

http://shop.maryjanesfarm.org/store/p/42-Organic-Black-Bean-Flakes-Hot-8217-n-Spicy.aspx

These rehydrated perfectly with cold water. They weren't spicy–in fact a little bland. A packet of chili flakes made some improvement. However, things were much better after a packet of parmesan cheese and some olive oil. Quite tasty!

Couscous near east–I think I put too much water in these. They rehydrated after a while (took longer than the beans) but didn't really taste nearly as good as when it is prepared with hot water. Mixed with the beans, it was OK. I wonder if any other brand would be better with cold water or whether minute rice would work?

Also, I'd love to try some of those packitgourmet no cook options.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

or :
    you could take a look at cream of wheat (the Quick type). it expands as it cooks quite a bit . so, in a clever mood one morning, i tossed a wad of it into my nalgene bottle and let is simmer all day. that night i ate it for dinner (yumm ..)
    well.. here's the deal. it "cooks" a LOT better inside peter than inside a nalgene bottle. and when it does that, it gets Big, and makes a Large Dry Solid Plug.
    thusly, about 8 days, a bottle of castor oil, and mostly and entire package of ex-lax later, i was rid of it.
    thought i was gonn'a die.

but failed.

cheers,
    v.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

"I would bring deli sandwiches for one night :-)"

A big +1 to that!

In fact, I would probably stop by my local sandwich artists on the way to the trailhead and pick up my sub sandwich dinner for $5. Cheap, fast, and filling.

Sounds like you are looking to test out some more long-term cookless solutions though, so just ignore everything I say ;]

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools