Topic

New to packrafting (need recommendations)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting New to packrafting (need recommendations)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Maggie Harlan
    BPL Member

@maggiemaeflower

Locale: Ohio

I just want to thank everyone again for the advice. I never guessed I would love packrafting as much as I do! Here is a video from the most recent trip. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H05BYtnRU4kNew River

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Maggie, thanks for sharing, and I'm glad you're having fun!

Daniel Hagen

@hagendf

Yeah, that's pretty sweet. I did that same run earlier in July. Looks like the levels went down a bit by October. It was all big wave trains and 8ft water when I went. I want to go back and sign up for a guided trip on the Lower River next year.

http://danhag3n.wordpress.com/2013/11/16/packrafting-the-new-river-gorge-2/

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I have some curiosity about packrafting.
    As a starting point (and possibly and ending point)… Can you tell me approximately how much weight are we talking about above and beyond my regular backpacking gear? I mean, are we talking an additional 5, 10, 15 or 20 pounds additional in order to be able to do a combined backpack/packraft trip?

thanks, … it does indeed look like fun…

Bill D…

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

It is so, so very fun. :)

My summer setup weighs in close to 10 lbs even. This is
    packraft plus accessories (cruiser deck, thigh straps, booster seat),
    paddle,
    pfd,
    inflation bag and repair kit.

My paddle weighs about 2 lbs, the pfd about 1, the boat about 5, and sundries make up the rest.

Shoulder season kit I have not weighed b/c I haven't settled on one yet. Dry suits or wetsuits weigh much more than rain gear but can be necessary (or simply worth the weight for the warmth).

My boat is a 'Paca, so add some ounces if you're average height and need a Yak, or subtract if you want a Scout. Yaks seem to be the most popular. MYOG pfds can be well under a pound, and more expensive paddles can save weight too.

Total weight depends on what sort of water you want to paddle and when, honestly. Serious whitewater setups will weigh 15 lbs or more, with all the basics plus a whitewater deck, throw bag, helmet, and other equipment. Summertime class I-II floats could be well under 10 lbs–check out Dave C.'s blog for a review of the Alpacka Scout, which is a fine option for many uses.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

spelt… that sounds doable…

Nothing particularly ambitions, but I thought it might be fun to be able to hike down Escalante canyons and then maybe paddle along Lake Powel to other canyons, etc… Warm weather, flat water… or, at least, easy water…

Maybe I'll look into this before my spring trip to Utah…

Bill D.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools