Topic

traffic jam

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

remember those "everest" threads with traffic jams … in the spirit of that …

Rush hour at Mount Snowdon – hundreds of climbers queue to reach peak

Hundreds of climbers were forced to queue patiently as they slowly moved towards the Mount Snowdon peak because of the huge number of people deciding to climb the mountain on Bank Holiday Monday.

more at link

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/wales/10266590/Rush-hour-at-Mount-Snowdon-hundreds-of-climbers-queue-to-reach-peak.html

;)

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Yikes.. the 2nd picture looks like the line waiting for pictures with the summit sign on Mt Washington sometimes. between people hiking, driving and taking the cog railway it is nuts. my group decided to just take pics on the observation deck and call it good enough.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Holy crap, I have seen some congested Peaks in the Uk and Ireland but never this bad.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Looks like I-94 by me.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

It's like the Vivian Creek trail in SoCal. Nuts.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Why would someone even do that?
    Just find some other place to hike.

This reminds of the Pine Ridge Trail in Big Sur on weekends. I always get off that trail to explore some creek or canyon as quickly as I can. It gets crazy and it makes me feel uncomfortable. I can't even stop to take a pee.

Hoot Filsinger
    BPL Member

@filsinger

Locale: Pacific Northwest

+1 Justin,

This is the human version of Lemmings. Where are the self thinkers that would find a different hike to satisfy their need for wildness. I realize we are social beasts but this would not be fun for me

.Lemmings

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Notice that Nick G. is not in that photo.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Jake S

@spags

Almost makes you want to channel your inner Roberto and reconsider why you didn't bring that huge Bowie knife…LOL.

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

Leadville…Wow. That looked horrible….I used to organize and manage endurance events, what are the race organizers thinking?? That is nuts, what about the insurance and liability factors? When we ran 100 milers our landowners, public and private knew how many people were traveling through, we were accountable for those numbers and limited the entries.

Several ways to stop all that would be to make it a race that you would have to qualify for…or lottery like the mountain bike races….And they should be limiting the numbers of entries for the space…someone got greedy. If the staging areas and trail and medical aid areas cannot handle the huge crowds then they are putting everyone at risk!

Chris C
    BPL Member

@cvcass

Locale: State of Jefferson

That photo reminds me of the hike to the top of Mt Lassen, lines of people snaking up the trail. Slow people holding up the procession because of narrow stretches, lots of people eating the concession stand sandwiches on top leaving the plastic containers stuffed under rocks…

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Omg. That is just rediculous. I would never..Jesus, that's what I go backpacking for..to get away from crowds like that. Looks like rush hour on Madison Avenue in the city.. that's gotta be a joke or some sort of staged picture..please tell me it is?

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

No interest here. No peak is worth that crowd. I prefer to find places off the beaten path where I can't see or hear anyone else.

Anthony Analetto

@fubar2us

Locale: MidWest USA

This would be why I always try to do my big hikes before and after peak seasons. Did Isle Royal this year and saw a total of 4 people on my 5 nights hiking. Did Harney peak SD by following one of the lesser used trails last week and did not see much traffic. I wasn't until I got to the peak that I ran into two groups of cross country teams running to the top. It got very crowded and uncomfortable quick.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I keep telling people not to post trip reports with directions, details, and the GPS pointy thingies; see what happens!

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

Glad I spend my summer in Alaska and off trail in Utah

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools