Topic

favorite UL closed cell pad?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) favorite UL closed cell pad?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Sooo.what is it? Where can it be purchased?

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

I have used the Zotefoams Evazote yellow pads for years. Referred to by climbers as hardman; pads, they are much more durable than the regular blue foam pads and have a slightly better r value. I get mine from MEC in Canada.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Ridgerest

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

Lawson has 4 different choices of thickness all priced right

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I like my Thermarest Ridgerest full length for supplementing my TR Trail Pro in deep winter.

But what DOES constitute a "UL" closed cell mattress??

Stephen Murphy
    BPL Member

@sjtm

I bought a 1/8" 20" x 60" Thinlite pad from Gossamer Gear and a 1/8" x 24"x 74" eva Insulite pad from Lawson Kline. The GG pad was listed as 2.4-2.8 oz but actually weighed 4.3 oz. The LK pad was listed at 4.0 oz and weighed that on the nose. I then cut the LK pad down to the same size as the GG pad and it weighed 2.7oz.

I emailed GG about the weight discrepancy but never got a reply. I use the folded pad as back support in my GG Gorilla and under my Neoair X-lite to protect it from punctures. Very happy with the Lawson Kline. GG pad is in the closet.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I started out using flat foam pads…
    then thin air mattress…
    then back to foam pads…
    then ridge rest.. which was MUCH more comfortable than flat foam…
    then Thermarest egg-crate which seemed MUCH more comfortable than the ridge rest..
    currently I use the egg-crate sold by Gossamer Gear… it's the most comfortable foam pad I have ever used… but the 3 panel one they sell is a bit short so I ordered and added an extra panel… duct tape sticks REALLY good to this foam pad.

Bill D

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

"But what DOES constitute a "UL" closed cell mattress??"

By the numbers it's part of the sleep system, which should be under 2lb.

I like my ridge-rest too. BUT I've never used anything else. I'm kinda lanky so it's fine, I've considered a 1/8 pad just to see what the noise is about (and to see what SUL is like).

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

The Ridgerest has the best technology especially with the reflective solar coating.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Lawson has some great pads at a great price. Also, DIY Gear Supply now has pads as well sold by the inch. 30" width and $0.36 per linear inch for 1/8" & $0.48 for 1/4" so you can buy exactly what you need but can get pricey.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

Since 2007, I've been using a GG Nightlite Torso pad and their 1/8" Thinpad (never had one weight 4oz though). I've found it comfortable as long as I'm not sleeping on small rocks and other stuff that is thicker then this pad can compress. The Torso pad I replace twice a year, the thinpad I keep until its lost too many chunks from brush and downtrees while strapped to my backpack.

I know a guy who likes to make a torso pad out of his Ridgerest by cutting a nice brand new one up.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

i like the nunatak luna pad. great by itself if it isn't too cold or layered under a torso length pad. i'm guessing my cut down version weighs somewhere south of 10 oz. just be sure you include nunatak when you search for luna pad on goggle.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i posted this up a few years ago … as you can see at the time the RR solar was the most "efficient" insulator in terms of weight

its a myth that the mec yellow pads are "warmer" than the blue ones for the weight … they just come in more options

you can update the figures with the latest SOL zlite yourselves

;)

the mec blue standard 9.25 oz / yd if my math is correct … for an R value of 1.36 .. R per oz/yd of 0.146

the mec yellow standard 13.75 oz / yd if my math is correct … for an R value of 1.6 .. R per oz/yd of 0.116

the yellow thermalest zlite is 12.93 oz / yd 2 … for an R value of 2.2 … giving and R per oz/yd of 0.17

the RR Solar is 17 oz / yd 2 … for an R value of 3.6 … giving and R per oz/yd of 0.21

Zorg Zumo

@burnnotice

There's no magic I'm aware of that will make the R-value of a 1/4" evazote pad equal the R-value of 1/2" thick Walmart Blue foam pad. So it helps to bear in mind that sleep comfort degrades quickly when you are lying on some wimpy "ultra-light" pad.

Therma-rest Z-Lite is the minimum I use.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

The denser the pad, the more durable but heavier. A denser pad also may be warmer under compression. Different foams have slightly different R values and tear strengths for the same density. It isn't much tho between quality foam sleeping pads. Thinner pads need to be denser to be tear resistant enough to avoid damage just by rolling over and packing etc.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

The 3 panel egg crate foam pad..how does this fold up? Would this pad work with my ULA CDT pack? Is it bulky? I currently use a small thermarest neoair..weighs 9 ounces. If I could shave a few ounces using the GG foam pad I would Deffinatly try it out. But if its too bulky then I wouldn't bother. I also like to keep everything in my pack, so Strapping it to the top, bottom or back of my pack(outside) is a no no.

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

You are correct Eric. The Evazote pads are slightly heavier, slightly higher R value, but MUCH more durable in my experience. I know a lot of folks here aer into the lightest possible, but for me, sustainability and durability are important as well. I have found the yellow pads much more tear resistant and durable. Mine (I have the thin 'bivy' pad and the standard thickness pad)are both well used and well over 20 years old.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

GG torso lite & my BP under my legs.

I have also cut down a TR Z-Lite as well. It makes a better support inside a frameless pack, but it also weighs more than the GG pad at equal lengths.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Z Lite.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Ridgerest. Best sleeping mat available.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

This is what I decided on. The GG torso lite egg foam pad thigamajig. I was considering cutting my Z lite and useing just 6 panels..but first I will see how I like the GG pad.

Daniel Parker

@pharoah

Locale: New England

I find the GG torso lite very comfortable, and warm enough for most 3-season stuff. I have a trimmed ridge rest, too, but I prefer the softer feel of the torso lite.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Cool. Looking forward to useing it. Thanks

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Joe,
    If you want the GG foam pad inside your pack and are adverse to bulk you will not like this pad. All foam pads are bulky compared to air pads.

The GG foam pad is more bulky that it needs to be as both the folds and the egg crate pattern conspire against nesting the high points into the low points.

I tried to minimize this issue by cutting at the folds and using duct tape to reconnect the 3 panels such that they next better, making the entire folded package flatter… but bottom line, there is no way to get around the bulk of foam pads. relative to air pads…

The bulk does not bother me as I just strap it to the back of my pack. Which is where I like it to be convenient to use as a sit pad on rest stops.

Bill D.

Sara Marchetti
    BPL Member

@smarchet

On my last trip I slept on a GG Torso pad. I'm glad I took a sleeping pill!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools