Topic

Looking to shed some pack weight in a hurry

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Looking to shed some pack weight in a hurry

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Sara Marchetti
    BPL Member

@smarchet

2.3lb, lol this is some FA kit!

I personally carry a small assortment of bandaids, closure strips and gauze, tiny roll of duct tape, super glue, some antihistamine pills, some Advil (about 2 per day), some antiseptic wipes, some altitude sickness pills if I'll be up high, some moleskin (which I have never needed) and diamode.

Basically, take this:

kit http://www.rei.com/product/718294/adventure-medical-kits-ultralight-watertight-9-first-aid-kit

And throw 3/4 of it out, including the bag :)

Sara Marchetti
    BPL Member

@smarchet

Well, if money is not an option, you can get a fully decked out bug enclosed Zpacks Hexamid Hexamid Twin (11oz) for around $500. That is the cadillac. A lot of people on this forum also like Tarp Tent brand if you are more price sensitive, though you'll gain some weight. The TT Notch and Contrail are great. For a 2-person the Double Rainbow is a tried and true tent.

For packs, Zpacks has some very light cuben fiber packs, again, if money is not an issue. I'm a big fan of Gossamer Gear Mariposa. It's a pack I think you would appreciate because you can carry a lot of stuff :) Check out Mountain Laurel Design, ULA, and Hyperlite Mountain Gear. I know I'm missing a few here.

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

I got the Atmos on an Amazon fire sale only paid $119 for it. I'm not carrying a stove or fuel my buddy is. I have a pocket rocket but I'm not bringing it. I've cut the first aid kit down to 7 ounces so I am no longer worried about it really I'd need to buy a new pack and sleeping pad to shed any more weight and I'm not doing that with two days left till I fly out.

Sara Marchetti
    BPL Member

@smarchet

You'll need to let us know how everything turned out after.

I wouldn't forgo some form of camp entertainment. Convince a buddy to pack in some playing cards and then you won't feel bad about ditching the book.

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

I'm using a zpack cuben fiber stuff sack for my food bag. I like their gear.

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

I work 55-65hrs a week in a hospital. I don't need any camp entertainment other than what nature provides. The silence and solitude will be a welcome respite

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Even if you are not interested going ultra light you should check out some of the ideas from Mike Clelland(NOLs instructor and author),he has some great free videos on lightening up be sure to watch(his clothing system,the entire contents of his pack,water treatment and part 1 and 2 on the dinky stuff for ideas),this is an article he wrote The fastest way to backpack weight loss ,this is pmags Lightweight Backpacking 101 and The Frugal Backpacker – The $300 Gear Challenge .These are some other articles and videos for you to check out

Backpacking for Cheap: Gear for the Gearless

Backpacking Checklist (Gear List): 3-Season, 3-Day

Lightweight Backpacking 101: An Introductory Manual for Lightening Your Load Today (1st Edition – August 2001)

Cheap Ultralight Gear List

Ultimate Hiking Gear & Skills Clinic

Lightweight Testimony: Lighter, Farther, Faster

Oregon Field Guide: Ultralight Hiking

Jamie Shortt talks about his progression and shows his gear list for each stage, Lightweight Testimony: My Journey into Lightweight Backpacking

since you are not a member you may not have access to a few of the links but the majority of the links you should be able to view.

Oh and about the bear spray and gun issue,you might like this video from National Geographic on Andrew Skurkas Alaska-Yukon Expedition and his many encounters with Grizzlies and he did not carry a gun.The whole video is highly recommended but the Grizzly part starts at about 13 min 10 sec into the film.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I'll check out those links as well…

I have a somewhat similar setup to you actually and without food and water am a shade below 20 pounds the last trip I took. In my case REI Flash 65 (about 6 ounces lighter than the Atmos) – Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 – Golite feather bag – Exped synmat 7, etc…

First trip I was a good bit heavier but didn't actually weigh the whole setup (was almost afraid to)… in my case on a limited budget a smaller tent and less clothes made a big difference.

Anyway – I'm sympathetic to your situation – I mostly backpack with my Scout son so budget is limited since I have to have two of everything (or a lot of things). I have yet to go with a tarp setup – living in the southeast the bugs make it an uninviting prospect to have no net. By the time you add netting and some sort of containment system you're starting to get close to the weight of the SL1 (tarptents, etc…) If I could find a hammock I'd try that but won't save much if any weight from a tent setup.

It sounds like you're doing a good job paring down the edges – not much you can do with the tent/pack/bag/mat setup so really it's a function of multi use clothes and limiting pretty much everything else you might consider bringing to the essentials (which includes a FA kit for example – we all have to decide what we need/matters).

Good luck and weight aside – enjoy being outside!

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

" I'd need to buy a new pack and sleeping pad to shed any more weight and I'm not doing that with two days left till I fly out."

I really doubt it. Your big 3 base items are not THAT heavy and you were carrying 36 pounds! I guarantee there are more pounds that can be cut by careful and smart reductions. But you have to give specifics (items and weight of everything)to the crew here to get much more. Everything weighs something. And they add up quickly.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

On this trip, keep track of what you use, don't use, and could have not used. Carry those pounds of water if you want, but consider if you could have just topped off your stomach and gotten by with a only a pint or a quart. See how little of your cook kit you can get by with. Try to avoid using all but one utensil, etc. Consider if a smaller knife would have done everything you asked of it. Whatever comes back unused gets left behind next time. That's how anyone gets to be UL – in steps, over time, and with greater experience. Experience, knowledge, confidence, and creativity weigh nothing AND allow you to do more with less.

Most of my first aid kit is in my head. But I taught standard and wilderness first aid to a few thousand people and have rendered a wide variety of aid on the trail. For bandages and splints: Either it's minor or it's serious. If it is serious bleeding or broken bones, any cloth is a dressing. Any branch, sleeping pad, or pack stay is a splint. And while we all love to be independent, really, if you're hiking on trails, there are lots of other BPers, almost all them heavy-weight BPers. Anyone is going to happy to finally have a use for their first aid kit if you need something. But there aren't trauma dressings or splints or c-collars in anyone's 2.3 pound first-aid kit so for serious problems, you'll be MacGyvering something anyway.

I'll bump some of my gear a little bit for first-aid reasons. For instance, I'll take a 36×36" silk bandana instead of a 30×30" cotton one. It weighs the same, but the larger one is much more versatile as an arm sling, tie-off for a splint as well as being a wash rag, cool wet cloth on my neck, snot rag, and foreign-legion-style-under-the-hat sun guard. $12 or so when STP has them.

My first aid kit: 2 or 3 bandaids for little nicks, a small pill bottle with 2 or 3 each of Benadryl, aspirin, NSAID of choice, and Imodium – having reviewed and memorized when/how to use each of those. Plus a 2 square inches each of moleskin and mole foam if someone along has shoes they can't trust completely. Everything else "in my first aid kit" is some other aspect of my gear (SAK Classic for blade, scissors and tweezers), needle in my repair kit, etc.

Edited to add: I followed the link for the OPs first aid kit. Too many bandages as always, but I actually liked the selection and quantities of drugs. I'd keep all of these, maybe repackaging them.

2 Antihistamine (Diphenhydramine 25 mg)
    2 Aspirin (325 mg), Pkg./2
    2 Diamode (Loperamide HCI 2 mg), Pkg./1
    3 Ibuprofen (200 mg), Pkg./2
    3 Triple Antibiotic Ointment, Single Use

Xerox the instruction pages about the drugs (or they'll do you no good) and read them until you're learned them. Then use those pages for fire starter or toilet paper.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Anna, that might have been your most impressive link ever. You included nearly every possible source of how to lighten one's pack. If you weren't already an MLifer, we would have chipped in to buy you a year's membership for doing that. Maybe we could buy you a case of Twinkies or something instead? You are one amazing lady, Link. I don't know how you do it.

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

Thanks for all the links that was quite impressive once I have time I will sift through it all

I only have a handheld luggage scale and once you get below 6 ounces it pretty much refuses to work so weighing things can be a bit of a mute point right now I really need to pick up a kitchen scale. Here is my redacted gear list

Osprey Atmos 65 pack — Yes I know its heavy but I leave in 2 days and can't afford to buy another at them moment
    Raincover for pack
    Big Agnos Copper Spur UL1 Tent
    REI stratus pad
    Feathered friends Hummingbird nano 20 sleeping bag
    MSR minworks filter – I'm carrying a bigger filter because its being used by 3 people and does 1 liter per minute. My buddy is carrying the stove and fuel so I think I have the better deal!

plastic trowel
    snowpeak TI cookset
    1 bic lighter
    Fire tinder
    2 tiny rolls of duct tape about the size of an AA battery
    Signal mirror
    fire steel
    Water purification tablets – backup purification
    First aid kit 7 ounces
    50ft of paracord and 1 carabiner for hanging Cuben fiber stuff sack with food.
    Toiletries: Ultrathon Deet, 2 oz sunscreen, tiny toothbrush, toothpaste and chapstick and medications only enough for trip
    North Face midlayer – nano puff equivalent 6 ounces
    North Face rain jacket
    Small pack of baby wipes 6 ounces — Way better than toilet paper and I will gladly haul the added weight
    Black diamond spot headlight – I have a petzl as well and frankly I like the Black diamond a lot more
    2 Eneloop rechargeable batteries for head lamp in case I need them.
    Compass 1.5 ounces
    1 long sleeve shirt
    1 pair of long johns ultralight synthetic don't remember the brand I bought them in Japan when I was in the Navy.
    1 extra pair of wool socks
    1 pair of running/swim shorts
    9 lbs of food.
    Platypus hydration 3.0 L I only plan on carrying at max 64 ounce of water during the day
    and my iPhone in a tough case instead of a camera one less thing to double up on.
    Currently it's down to 27.6 lbs. With everyones help here I have shed over 9 pounds of gear. So if we add 3-4lbs of water I am hovering around the 31 lb mark fully loaded.
    Oh and I have carbon fiber trekking poles but since I am not carrying those on my back I am not including them in the weight.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

My comments for dropping weight:

plastic trowel-throw this away;dig with a rock; you don't need this
    snowpeak TI cookset-take only a pot or bowl. Or just put meals in freezerbags and eat out of that.
    1 bic lighter
    Fire tinder
    2 tiny rolls of duct tape about the size of an AA battery-good
    Signal mirror-ditch it
    fire steel-ditch it; you already have a lighter and your co-hikers probably do too
    Water purification tablets – backup purification-fine
    First aid kit 7 ounces-still too much; put in a ziplock; what can you leave out?
    50ft of paracord and 1 carabiner for hanging Cuben fiber stuff sack with food.-your zpacks food bag came with a mini-biner; thats all you need; lighter cord is available
    Toiletries: Ultrathon Deet, 2 oz sunscreen, tiny toothbrush, toothpaste and chapstick and medications only enough for trip-Are bugs out there this time of year? Sunscreen needed only if uncovered above tree line; repackage any liquids in smaller containers
    North Face midlayer – nano puff equivalent 6 ounces-Nano puff is over 12 oz; don't know this one, but you own it, so its good
    North Face rain jacket-buy cheap dri-ducks if its heavy
    Small pack of baby wipes 6 ounces — Way better than toilet paper and I will gladly -heavy!
    Black diamond spot headlight – I have a petzl as well and frankly I like the Black diamond a lot more- you can go much lighter with a cheap photon light
    2 Eneloop rechargeable batteries for head lamp in case I need them.-photon light will last you over 4 nights
    Compass 1.5 ounces
    1 long sleeve shirt-ok
    1 pair of long johns ultralight synthetic don't remember the brand I bought them in Japan when I was in the Navy.-ok
    1 extra pair of wool socks-good
    1 pair of running/swim shorts
    9 lbs of food.-still a lot for 3 nights
    Platypus hydration 3.0 L I only plan on carrying at max 64 ounce of water during the day-sounds like there are lots of water sources; in those conditions I always carry less than a liter; spring water bottles work fine
    and my iPhone in a tough case instead of a camera one less thing to double up on.-just put it in a ziplock
    Currently it's down to 27.6 lbs. With everyones help here I have shed over 9 pounds of gear. So if we add 3-4lbs of water I am hovering around the 31 lb mark fully loaded.-Doesn't sound like you ever need to carry 3-4 pounds of water per prior post
    Oh and I have carbon fiber trekking poles but since I am not carrying those on my back I am not including them in the weight.

And have fun. Should be a great trip. Wish I was going too.

Sara Marchetti
    BPL Member

@smarchet

Raincover for pack <– cut this in favor of a trash compactor bag you can buy at the grocery store
    plastic trowel <– use a stick, lol
    snowpeak TI cookset <- titanium spork or long spoon and a titanium pot
    1 bic lighter <– mini bic
    Fire tinder <– is it heavier than vaseline soaked cotton balls?
    2 tiny rolls of duct tape about the size of an AA battery <– just 1
    Signal mirror <– lol :) nope
    fire steel <– what brand? go with mini bic, cotton balls w/ vaseline and a match book with the cover ripped off!
    Toiletries: Ultrathon Deet, 2 oz sunscreen, tiny toothbrush, toothpaste and chapstick and medications only enough for trip
    Small pack of baby wipes 6 ounces — Way better than toilet paper and I will gladly haul the added weight <– luxury item
    Black diamond spot headlight – I have a petzl as well and frankly I like the Black diamond a lot more <– again, are you hiking at night? if not, try a photon LED; weighs nothing. Works fine in tent and around camp. Costs nothing.
    2 Eneloop rechargeable batteries for head lamp in case I need them. <– see above

Still a lot can be cut here. A lot of your extra weight is probably coming from food, clothing and your pack.

I know it seems like we are getting picky but every oz. and gram adds up!

Keep it up!

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

skip the shovel.. you can dig a hole with your trekking pole or tent stake.

skip the pack cover. Put things you need to stay dry in a trash compactor bag, twist it shut, pack the rest on top of that. pack covers have a giant hole where your back is and useless if it falls in a river/puddle. Atmos is fairly water resistant anyway.

take 1 thing of duct tape.. it's 4 days, not a month.

7oz is still a LOT for FAK.. mine has gauze, meds, band aids, moleskin etc and is still in the 2-3oz.

sawyer squeeze will do as much or more water as the Miniworks for a fraction of the weight.

2x Powerade bottles will be way lighter than a hydration bladder, easier to fill, easier to keep track of water use, easy to clean if you use drink mix. fits perfect in the bottle pockets on the outside. day 1 start with 2 liters.. see how far 1 liter gets you. then you can carry as much as you need the rest of the time between sources. water is heavy as hell, don't carry what you don't need.

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

There is no way I am using a trashbag for a pack cover. — Maybe its because of my military training but I won't sacrifice on that same goes for my iPhone I am not putting a $700 phone( I buy unlocked at full price) in a ziplock bag.
    The snowpeak cookset is a titanium spork, and bowl I plan on heating meals in zip lock and transferring to the bowl. Too many years of eating MRE's out of a pouch I don't feel human eating from a bag.
    I am no way getting rid of the baby wipes and I am fully aware its a luxury item.
    Please explain this Photon LED? When I googled it the lightest Photon headlamp I saw weighs 3.3 ounces to my Black Diamond which only weighs 3.1 ounces and outputs 100 Lumens and is an LED lamp and I am sure it will last 4 days so I can probably ditch the extra batteries
    I listed every clothing item I am bringing and don't have the time or resources to go and buy anything lighter when I leave in 2 days so I am not stripping anything else out.
    The 9lbs of food is for 4 days and 3 nights I can't cut anything when it comes to food. I have a stomach condition and a very strict diet because of it (which really really sucks and causes me much grief and sorrow). In the past I would only carry about 6 pounds of food for a similar trip. If I cut any food I will not have enough caloric intake for the day and the last thing I want is to be hungry and 15 miles from a food source.

32 ounces of water = 2 pounds 64 ounces = 4 pounds this is the max I may carry no more. The 3.0L platypus will not be full except at night for camp cooking otherwise its never holding more than 64 ounces.
    I may shed the trowel as I never used one before and always used a stick or a rock to dig.
    All the toiletries have been repackaged into smaller containers.
    Looks like a Dri Ducks poncho is the same weight as my Northface rain jacket.
    The Bic lighter is a mini bic and the fire tinder weighs equal or less than vaseline soaked cotton balls and is a whole lot less messy. The areas I could still shed weight in are pack, pad and tent but as I recently purchased all of these and I can't afford to spend any more money on camp gear right now they will have to suffice. I am tempted to get the Neo Air but have a hard time justifying the cost to only save 6 ounces.

Thanks again for all the help and keep it coming if you can think of other ways to shed a pound or two.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

I think the trash compactor bag was not for use a pack "cover," but pack "liner." It will be more protected inside your pack, won't blow away, and you don't need to cover everything. cook pot, stove, etc can be left outside the liner. A compactor bag is tougher than a regular trash bag.
    Tom

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

Thanks Tom, that makes more sense all I could think is that thing will be trashed in hours if used outside a pack. I had read about using a compactor bag as a pack liner but I still don't feel it will provide durable long lasting protection and its kind of wasteful at the same time.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

If you don't put the trash-compactor bag against sharp or rough edges (pot supports on some stoves are pretty rough), a trash-compactor bag ought to last a week or more.

One trick to using them is to "burp" them. Press out as much air as you can (while on a smooth, rock-free surface like your sleeping pad). While the bag and its contents are still compressed, twist the neck of the bag closed repeatedly and tuck it in on itself. No need to tie a knot, the twisted neck will naturally form a tight loop or two. You've now got a much smaller package to stow within your backpack. Practice a little bit at home (you'll buy a box of 20 at a time – a supply to last you many years).

Sara Marchetti
    BPL Member

@smarchet

"but I still don't feel it will provide durable long lasting protection and its kind of wasteful at the same time."

Try it :) Works great. Also, forget about your stuff sacks for your tent and sleeping bag. Stuff your tent and air mattress (if you don't have a sleeve) in the bottom of your pack. Then put your compactor bag in. Stuff your sleeping bag, clothes bag, food bag, first aid kit and anything else you want to keep dry into this, then fold the top of the compactor bag down. Voila! Works like a charm and they are pretty durable. I've hiked a single season on a single compactor bag. If it gets a hole, that is what your duct tape is for. In addition to patching holes in your tent, shoes…you name it. Inner MacGyver!

I only use two stuff sacks. One for my clothes and another for my diddy bad that doubles for a bear bag. Trust me, sacks add up!

Of course you don't put your iphone in a ziplock bag! Double bag that bad boy!!!!! Lol. I put my wife's phone in a ziplock then stuff that into Aloksak. I've swam across water holes in The Narrows using my pack as a flotation device with water up to my neck without a problem.

Here is the type of light I'm talking about:

I've backpacked for years with nothing but this.

The NeoAir is worth every penny if you aren't a restless sleeper (as its a narrow mattress). Many here opt to buy the small length and cut even more oz and prop their legs up on their sleeping bag. 6oz is a lot with the UL mindset.

A nice light bandana doubles as a camp towel.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

"I still don't feel it will provide durable long lasting protection and its kind of wasteful at the same time."

I have the original one i started with last year and it made it 19 days on the long trail plus a few other overnight hikes without any sign of wear, being packed and unpacked every day in a pack lighter than yours.

in contrast, a pack cover doesn't cover the entire pack, it leave a large opening that will leak. it also does nothing if you fall over during a stream crossing or something. Also what happens if your water bladder leaks inside your pack?

I will agree with you on the Headlamp.. i like my Petzl and have a backup single LED like the photon being able to do stuff hands free in the dark is useful enough to cost a few ounces.

4lbs is a lot of water for non desert use. you said you were going to hit water sources fairly often. I am a light water user and just did a 32mi day hike with 3L total. thats a bit extreme but it shows that you don't need to carry a ton if you'll be crossing water enough. this is where map and planning come into saving you weight. A reason I like powerade bottles on the outside of my pack is that i can keep track of what i'm drinking (either running low or not drinking enough). it also allows for easier access to filter water into without unpacking my bag. my filter stays in an outer pocket.

part of going lighter is using your head more than gear. irrational fears drive weight up more than anything. We all went through the stage you are in and are giving you ways to help.

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

I appreciate all the advice and I think I am at my limit for reducing weight as I leave Thursday morning and I don't have any more time to mess with my load. I can see getting a lighter pack and pad in the near future but I have very little desire to sleep under just a tarp. 10 years of roughing it in the military I just don't have the desire to do it in my free time now as a civilian.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

never said roughing it.. for your trip i'd have a 12.5 lb baseweight with a fully enclosed tent, full size neo air, pillow, 20F quilt, camera, canister stove and bear spray. http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=14195

have fun.. i'd love to get up there someday.

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

What does your gear list look like that you'd only be at 12.5 lbs for a 4 day trip? That's crazy light, please explain. You know Glacier is not that expensive. Backcountry permit is $30 and the park pass is $25 for me the roundtrip flight from Phoenix is only $290. I am doing this entire trip for less than $575. The Appalachian trail hike I am doing in the spring will probably cost roughly the same.

Oh and 4 lbs is definitely a lot of water but I guarantee I will drink it. Even during winter hikes in the desert here in Arizona I usually go through 3 liters of water in a single day and I'm not out of shape I run marathons. Haha :)

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

My gear list was 11 pounds for a 19-day JMT trip, including a bear canister. I had tons of luxuries, too, including a whole huge tub of sunscreen (since I burn when I think about the sun).

The key, as many people have said, is to stop packing for every single possible contingency. As for the first aid kit…I am a medical professional and I used to bring a massive FAK. But when you realize either the issue is minor and you can deal with it with band aids or some steri strips, or it's major in which case you are getting off the trail and evacuating anyway…then you understand why there is truly no need to bring a huge kit.

Think about what you really really need and actively choose to bring things – and this is especially true with your first aid kit. I had to stop bringing things simply because I always did…

And don't poo-poo 6 oz here and there (like we all used to…). That stuff adds up FAST. 6 oz here, 2 oz there, 9 oz over there…all those oz add up to pounds, and THAT is noticeable.

Have a great time on your hike, and like David and some others mentioned, use it as a good training for your AT. What did you not use that you really thought you would? What could you have left home and not missed? What should you have brought that you left behind? A 4-day trip is a great length to figure that stuff out. Good luck!!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools