Topic

Tahoe Rim Trail fastpack and video!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Tahoe Rim Trail fastpack and video!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Gabriel Pramuk
    BPL Member

@gpramuk

Locale: West

174 miles in 5.5 days and I didn't get ANYWHERE!

Tahoe Rim Trail is the ultimate example of journey > destination…
    Well. I am sure Wonderland or Great Western Loop qualify…

Suddenly I am of the impression that the PCT is not as well graded as I thought… Compared to the Tahoe Rim Trail, some of it is downright steep!

I started Friday the 9th of August in Tahoe City and started walking northwest out of town. Ever wonder how to get on top of the bluffs above the Truckee River? It is the TRT! Mileage on easily graded trail came easily. It is possible to mountain bike well over half of the route, and I certainly saw a lot of cyclists!

It was a fantastic journey, and dry! I didn't expect to have to carry water for 20 plus miles! A full journal can be found on trail journals.
    Tahoe Rim Trail Journal

Please check out the video I made, not just photos, but real live video!
    Tahoe Rim Trail Video

Help me out and subscribe too! Lots of other videos! Long Trail, Sierra High Route, etc…

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I always enjoy your videos Gabriel, thanks for sharing.

Gabriel Pramuk
    BPL Member

@gpramuk

Thanks for watching! It's fun making them! You can tell I'm a folk music dork though. Had enough fiddle tunes?

Might be a couple more videos coming this fall. Heading down to the Sierras for some climbing for the next couple weeks.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I always worry about breaking teeth with the harp. Excellent video. great trip. Thanks.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Nice, that looks like a fun trip to do. I liked the Long Trail videos too since I did that last year NOBO… i'm not sure I could leave Starks Nest into the rain like that haha..

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

[Thread drift, but…]

When I end-to-ended the Long Trail, I too soldiered on from Stark's Nest in lashing rain. Moreover, there was a dayhiker at the shelter who offered to give me the keys to her car if I wanted to go into town for a resupply, as long as I brought it back to the trailhead in an hour or so. I passed up the offer because it seemed, well, complicated, and I had plenty of food. But I did kick myself later. I was new to the concept of trail magic. :)

Thanks so much for the TRT journal and vid…we're hoping to be up there next month!

Gabriel Pramuk
    BPL Member

@gpramuk

No worries on the thread drift. thanks for watching the Long Trail vid! it actually cleared up nicely that day. Became rather sultry and humid… I'm a nice guy and all, but I don't know if I would offer my keys to some random stinky thru hiker! Hah! Quite the trail magic indeed! Though I would probably pass on it as well.

Long Trail and Tahoe Rim are both great! Good for a shorter hike. This is a great time for both. And the Rim fire is finally subsiding a bit so it will be less smoky as well. Maybe we'll even get some rain at some point… hard to bet on in Tahoe until November… It is just so dern mild here in fall! Sheesh!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I sub your YouTube channel and have previously watched the video. Well done man!

Gabriel Pramuk
    BPL Member

@gpramuk

Thanks for watching! I do appreciate it and hope people get some enjoyment or ideas.

Might not be many backpacking videos left this year. Just climbing, so a little less relevant, but czech em out anyway!

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Nice video. It looked like a great trip since I couldn't feel the heat or dust as you were hiking up that dirt road.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools