Topic

inn to inn -ireland

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning inn to inn -ireland

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tom lakner
    BPL Member

@lakneremu

Locale: midwest

Hi, My wife and I are hoping to do an inn to inn trip in Ireland next year and while there is an abundant amount of material on Ireland, we can't find anything on the walk we would like to do.
    Does anyone out there know of any websites,blogs, books,etc. on this subject?Thankssunset over Shasta from PCT

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Try This

There is a small search box at the upper right, and a Large number of folks ready to help.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Just got back from 3 weeks in Europe and had good luck with AirBnB.com for lodging – 4 different places in 3 countries, some for several nights, two were just overnights. When driving in the countryside of Iteland, years ago, 19/20 nights we could find a B&B each night just by from signs alongside the roads. But on foot, with your shorter travel each day, I'd want more advanced planning.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Mark,

I am Irish, and can probaly help out.

Check out this website for mountain information mountainviews.ie

Also check out the Irish tourist board website http://www.discoverireland.ie/.

One thing to note is there are not many way marked trails in the Irish mountains except for sheep trails.

I also know the guy who wrote this guide book
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Mountains-Ireland-Walking-Summits/dp/1852841109

Are you flying in to Dublin or Shannon and how much time do you have, and what time of year?

Most of the Mountains are on the West side of the Island and al are well above treeline.

Cheers,

Stephen

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

In May of this year I used Mac Adventures for a self guided coast to coast walk in the UK.

They also do self guided trips in Ireland. I told them the route I wanted to take and the min and max miles we wanted to walk each day. They booked the B&Bs and the luggage transport, privided maps, a detailed itinerary with instructions on how to reach the B&B each night, numbers for the local taxi companies that covered our route, and a 24 hour hot line. Pre-planning is important. From Macs and other sources we learned that a lot of the pubs would be closed on weekdays during lunch so we got boxed lunches from the B&Bs. Some of the smaller villages had little or not options for dinner. So we often booked dinner ahead of time at the B&B.

Macs is quite open to planning custom itineraries if you do not see what you want on the web site. Macs' use permit requires that you have your own travel and medical transport insurance which I ended up purchasing from American Airlines for $60 per person.

http://www.macsadventure.com/walking-holiday/europe-walking-holidays/ireland/

There are probably local outfits in Ireland that provide the same service.

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

Hey Tom,

I live in Ireland and would be happy to point you in the right direction. When are you planning to be in Ireland? for how long? It is possible to do an inn-to-inn tour by following one of the waymarked ways, such as the Kerry Way, the Wicklow Way, etc. Or you can base yourself in one area. PM me and I'll send you my email address. Mike

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools