Topic

New REI warranty, few questions about it……

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New REI warranty, few questions about it……

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"they WANT to replace it … thats how good their service is …"

Not a sustainable model, especially with the younger generations of "entitlement" zombies. It raises the cost of doing business that results in higher prices that is absorbed by customers who do not abuse the policy.

It doesn't matter anyway. These stores are becoming upscale Yuppie clothing botiques.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

"If you returned a jacket because your dog ate it, thats kinda sad. No company should have to replace that."

I completely agree. This is the type of abuse that led REI to change their policy. I don't care if their policy covers it or not, that's not what the warranty was for and you know it.

As an aside, I've noticed most people who are saying they won't shop at REI any more pretty much admit they started buying elsewhere (Amazon, etc) prior to the change in REI's policy. So what are you complaining for anyway?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I bought two packs from them earlier this year and at the time I was told I could return one or both if they did not work out.

I called Customer Service yesterday and they said they would take them back no problem.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

If you return the jacket because your dog ruined it then you are part of the problem. You are taking advantage of their warranty. If enough people take advantage of them they will have to change it, just like REI had to. It is wrong to take advantage of someone's (even an institution) generosity.

Be part of the solution instead of part of the problem. Do the right thing…

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Not a sustainable model, especially with the younger generations of "entitlement" zombies. It raises the cost of doing business that results in higher prices that is absorbed by customers who do not abuse the policy.

It doesn't matter anyway. These stores are becoming upscale Yuppie clothing botiques.

OR has had that policy for many many years …. so have many others with such policies … OR gear costs no more than other "yuppie" brands with less generous return policies

MEC actually LOWERS prices in canada … youll notice much of the gear at the same or below american prices despite a weaker canadian dollar and the additional costs of doing business here … one of the biggest "complaints" about it is that they offer a total warranty, and that they lower prices … which many smaller stores have problem doing … its a free market

id hardly call OR clothing yuppie … people dont generally wear it to look cool … theres always dead bird, patagucci and TNF for that

;)

alex hansen

@holden425

"I called Customer Service yesterday and they said they would take them back no problem."

in laymans terms, the new policy just means that you have 1 year to figure out if you like and want to keep a product (which is beyond reasonable)
    if after a year, a product breaks or wears out within the lifetime of that product, REI will still take care of it.
    the change in policy really only affects those who take advantage of the system.

so no worries!

David McBride

@vintagegent

Locale: Galveston TX

A pair of OR gaiters I owned recently bit the dust due to some errant crampon points. Lifetime warranty or not, there was absolutely no way I was going to return these. Expecting fabric to hold up to a metal spike being jammed into it is beyond the pale.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools