Topic

Is there a consensus on a good hydropel replacement?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Is there a consensus on a good hydropel replacement?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Loki Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@lokbot

Locale: Portland, OR

I've read through this thread
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=66605
    and was wondering what people are using to replace hydropel. I've tried body glide and it worked ok I made it 5 days w/o blisters, but got one on day 6. Is Sportslick supposed to be comparable to hydropel? Did many people end up going with gourneygoo?

-Loki

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Happy with GurneyGoo.

Edited for spelling.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I use Lanacane anti-chafe.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I'd say the previous two posts would point to ………… no.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

What is the purpose of these chemicals? Blisters? Chaffing?

To prevent blisters on my feet I wear socks.

To prevent chaffing I cut the liner out of my hiking shorts. If wearing trousers in humid places I wear Ex Officio boxer briefs.

More thoughts on chaffing

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

The main reason for using hydropel on the feet was as a water barrier, particularly in wet weather. It prevented skin from becoming water logged and nipped problems like maceration and blisters at the bud.

Even with hydropel good foot care practices are important like socks, proper fitting shoes, well groomed nails, keeping calouses from getting too big, etc.

edited: Wanted to make this more feet specific. Nicks' points above, and in the article, about problems in the groin area are very good.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

another gurney goo user, luckily have only had to use it once so far.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

You might try Aveeno skin relief healing ointment. Its active ingredient is 54% petrolatum, the main inactive ingredient in Hydropel. It's almost as thick as Hydropel and works quite well, although it doesn't have dimethicone in it like Hydropel did. And by golly, it's dermatologist recommended!

Aveeno

Stephen Murphy
    BPL Member

@sjtm

Bodyglide Skin Glide Anti-Friction Liquified Powder

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Body Glide Liquified Powder. Exact same ingredient percentages at Hydropel AFAIK.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

+1 on Body Glide Liquified Powder

michael mercer

@mmercer

Locale: Northern Virginia

Well more bad news. The Body Glide Liquified Powder has been updated and has removed the dimethicone. I had a chance to talk directly to the president of Body Glide. He said the old version had the blue label with the image of a foot and rain drops. That version of the "Liquified Powder" product had 5% dimethicone and 30% talc. The new version is just called Skin Glide although the words "Liquified Powder" do appear on the back of the tube. The on-line vendors have a mix of images of both the old and new versions but you will only get the new version. Stock of the old version appears to be completely gone. The only product I could find that still has dimethicone is the 3M Cavilon "Durable Barrier Cream." It has 1.3% dimethicone as the active ingredient. 3M's Cavilon website (noted somewhere in the BPL threads) has an interesting paper that discusses the percentage of dimethicone. For those that remember, our favorite Hydropel had 30% dimethicone. The 3M product has a version that comes in very convenient 2g individual packets (reference number 3353).

Bottom line is I don't know which product works as well as Hydropel but will be trying all of them shortly. Will post the results. My 16 year old son is a lower leg amputee. He wears a silicon gel sleeve as part of his prosthetic and has chronic issues with sweat and friction blisters. Should be an extreme test for all of these products. Hydropel worked. Will see how the others do as he gets ready for Philmont.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Here are a few moisture barrier creams I researched a while back. They all have 5% dimethicone which seems to be the going rate for everything except Hydropel which had 6x that amount. The other ingredients like aloe, zinc oxide, and petrolatum in these creams vary. Kind of forgot and never ordered any. If the "liquefied powder" was a good substitute these may also be.

-Coloplast Baza Protect Skin Protectant Cream
    -Thera Dimethicone Body Shield Skin Protectant
    -Remedy Dimethicone Skin Protectant
    -Secura Dimethicone Skin Protectant

Ryan

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I use Aveeno Daily Moisturizing lotion on my feet. It has dimethicone.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

These saved my butt (well actually my inner thighs) last summer.

One of the packets lasted for an entire week long trip.

First ingredient on label is dimethicone. Very slippery. Feels like silnylon.

SPORTSHIELD

marvin k
    BPL Member

@marvinkarlowgmail-com

I understand this is a 9 yo thread BUT …

1 – has anyone noticed that ‘lice removal oil’ is 100% dimethicone

2 – that lice removal oil is available on Amazon

3 – that if 30% is good, 100% might be better

It seems like one could use lice removal oil directly as a (possibly better) substitute for Hydropel.

Any thoughts?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools