Topic

zpacks “multipack”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) zpacks “multipack”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    alex hansen

@holden425

Has anyone used the multipack? I like to carry the osprey grab bag on my atmos 65 but am thinking of getting an arc blast.
    Specific questions are:
    Is it adjustable vertically so i can put it at different heights on my chest?
    How hot does it make you? Something i like about the grab bag is i can loosen it and it doesnt sit super close to my body.
    Does it flop forward and back when in chest carry position?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I have one and did a review on here. It doesn't permanently attach, so where you place it on the shoulder straps depends more on you and what your straps offer than anything. I've never noticed any temp issues and the attachments are certainly adjustable, that's how it can work as a front-pack, lid, fanny pack, shoulder pack, etc. I've even used it as a tail-bag on a Harley Sportster a few times. It won't flip back/forth if you attach all four corners to your straps.

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

Hi Alex, it is very adjustable. Height and tightness very easily. It flops when loose but you can tweak the tightness and height to what's comfortable.

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

Chris and Richard are exactly correct!
    Nice adjustable and the Flop is very controllable.
    Nothing more I could add to there description.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I'll just comment on the heat/breathability concern since others have pretty well answered the other questions.

I have both the Osprey Grabbag and the Zpacks Multipack. I choose which one to use based on how much camera equipment I'm carrying. I find the grab bag more comfy and less hot given its smaller size, mesh backing and the fact that it doesn't sit across the middle of my chest as much as it sits off to one side or the other just under my ribcage.

The Zpacks bag is quite a bit larger and made from non-breathable cuben. And it sits dead center across my chest. I DO find that it makes me run hotter and is therefore not as comfy. But, as I often need the increased capacity for easy to access camera gear and I prefer it's more secure method of attaching to my pack straps, I often accept the increased sweatiness and go with the Multipack.

alex hansen

@holden425

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think i will Get one if i end up getting a zpacks bag

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I would also consider just using shoulder pouches, they stay put and are less of a hassle, and are not in the way. IMO.

alex hansen

@holden425

most importantly i like a good spot to get to my snacks. i usually carry dried apples or gorp in my grab bag so i can snack frequently, and also like to carry my sawyer squeeze there. if i had more room, id probably carry more in front, but alas the grab bag is too small.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Thanks for the heads-up on the Multipack.

I had never heard of it until now and it is just what I was looking for and for many reasons.

I like the fact that it can double as a dayhike pack.
    I often bring people along on dayhikes that don't have packs and so I end up carrying their water, rain-gear and snacks. Now I can give them this for their stuff during the hike:-)

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Alex,

I've used a myog version for well over 10 years and really like it. The Z packs version is so much like mine that I think my experience would apply to it also.

It does add some warmth but otherwise none of your concerns are a problem…for me.

When hiking on good trails I often loosen my shoulder straps and let the front bag keep things balanced and in place. So one could argue that the front bag warmth is offset somewhat by the loosened shoulder straps.

I typically carry about 5 pounds of stuff (including 2 lbs of water) in the front bag and that is enough to offset the backwards pull of my backpack.

People often ask if I can see my feet. Well it just isn't an issue. Maybe I've adjusted? I think it is similar to having large breasts or a pot belly.

alex hansen

@holden425

"similar to having large breasts or a pot belly."

Love this analogy!

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

Hey Stephen, I too bought the multipack to double as a daypack. However, if you are carrying a windbreaker, poncho, light puffy, snacks, water and a camera it's too small. I think size-wise it's probably closer to a large hip-pack.

I just ordered a slim drybag that I should be able to attach to the bottom with two of the straps (it comes with 4). I'm thinking of putting layers in there to free the multipack.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I'm sending them an email later this morning to see how much it would cost to have the multipack set up this way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwU3ZIC04po

Besides using it for fishing, I figure the external pouch would be great for energy gels and such.

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

When I ordered mine I asked Joe to add an additional net pocket running the full front.
    It is great for draining Squeeze filter while walking keeping extra snack also place Inreach Se in there.

It was an extra $10 bucks I think? but well worth that extra little space.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

@Richard,

Yes, I understand it won't act as a full on daypack. Most people have bigger daypacks if they are doing longer hikes.

I'm thinking of the less experienced hiker that will be doing 3 to 5 mile and the only thing they carry are water, snacks and rain shell.

If they need to carry more, I can put the extra stuff in my pack. I would be carrying the emergency and other stuff with me.

But my main use for the the Multipack is to extend capacity and the convenience of a front pack.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

"When I ordered mine I asked Joe to add an additional net pocket running the full front.
    It is great for draining Squeeze filter while walking keeping extra snack also place Inreach Se in there.

It was an extra $10 bucks I think? but well worth that extra little space."

Do you have pictures of this modification?

I have the Multipack and I use it as a lid for my lidless pack. It does wonders to help keep organized and seems to me to be very durable.

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Picture posted- Nice little add-on I think.Net add-on Zpacks Multipack

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

I have a ZPacks Multipack. It's very well made I think, stronger, less fragile than I expected. It's not a whole front pack system like an Aarn bodypack but capacity is really very generous for a pouch. For me it is best used for the things/tools that you need to get to more often on your trek like compass, windshirt, map, energy bars, dried fruit, camera, etc. And I thought I would love that set-up.

Thing is, I tried it and for the way I trek that system doesn't work very well. No fault of the ZPack Multipack, I think it's more inherent to the set-up in combination with my usage. I do mostly faster treks, with quite a lot of elevation changes, scrambling etc. If I loosen all the straps, breathing and temperature are ok but with the added weight in there the pack bounces too much for my comfort.
    When I tighten the straps more to mitigate bounce, it makes me run hotter than normal and I sweat more. Since I need to ventilate well because of the distances/speed I like to do it doesn't work that well. I'm sure if I would go on more general speed hikes with other people that I would use it again and love it.. Again, the quality is all you could wish for.

So to answer the original question, it either makes me run hot, or it bounces (not both at the same time). I'm looking at adding snacks or some extras I want to get to on a side grab pocket and extra shoulder strap pockets if possible (also done by ZPacks). Not as generous space wise, but better for my usage.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Good points Ito. I can see how it wouldn't be so great when fast hiking.

How about as an additional lid to your backpack, or you may already have a pack with a lid compartment?

I do not and I hate having to loosen the side straps and dig though my pack every time I need my windshirt, camera, rain-shell, gloves, compass, snacks,…

Much easier to just unzip the lid top, or of course reach in the front pack for those that don't trail run.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Steven,
    My pack has a lid already. I could lash the multipack on there but would only do that if really strapped for space. Don't think I would go for the added bounce behind my head if not necessary as I would still need to put the pack off to get to my things. Definitely an option though.
    For me the nice thing about the multipack would be all about having access to things you use all the time, or want quick access to, on the go. I definitely understand what you are saying about not wanting to open up your pack all the time for those frequent use things. Would still love that but I will try it through extra pouches I think, as I also didn't really like having to clip and unclip the multipack when putting my pack on/off. If you have no pack lid, and you think you might use the multipack on your front too than that is great flexible dual use, and it is built for that.

Again though, it's probably fine for many peoples usage situation.
    If you have a camera case that is a bit bigger like for an SLR or something and you strap it to the front with some cordage, it would not be the same but you might get a better idea of what the multipack would be like when used on your chest/belly. Perhaps worth to try to see if you like the system. If it has no problems for you I can't recommend the multipack highly enough.

alex hansen

@holden425

thanks for posting a picture,

also, since we are on this topic, who likes the zpacks waist belt pockets, i cant decide if pockets that large at my side would cause chafing issues or bother my arms at all

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Just received an email from Joe indicating that they don't have the time right now to customize one of these packs. I'm not sure if I'm going to see if Zimmerbuilt will make a larger version of one of their Tenkara packs or try it again with Zpacks this winter.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I have the Arc Blast with 2 hip belt pockets, and the Multipack used as a lid. I really like the hip belt pockets–great size for map, compass, camera, snacks, and lip stuff. I did ask Joe to change the closure from a typical side release buckle to a clip and elastic loop–easier to hook one-handed. My arms do rub on them a little, but no chafing. I've used the Multi-pack as a lid, and one could get a wind shirt, lunch and a small bottle of water, but not much room for full rain gear, a Platypus of water, or lots of day hike gear.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

This is one of my favorite pieces of gear.

I use mine mainly as a shoulder bag for travel to/from trail or town stops. I don't normally use it in front while hiking.

While hiking, I tend to put it in the top of my pack. I put items I want ready access to, but not necessarily immediate access to, in it. also at night, I can keep it handy with things like head lamp, glasses, contact lenses, etc. to organize and use as a quick grab bag for things I need to use first in the morning.

It was a sufficient carry bag on Mt. Whitney from Trail Crest for snacks, water, camera.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have it and really like it. I use it most often in fanny mode and tend to switch positions some. So when i wear this fully in front in fanny mode, and my tyvek rain kilt, i feel like a real future, space age Scot gone back in time. "Och Laddies and Lasses, do ye ken that them be aging whiskey in carbon fiber barrels in the future? Wheel now, at least the 'death to the english' spirit hasn't changed none."

I put my emergency survival essentials in it, as well as some snacks. It is one of my favorite pieces of gear, and provides some piece of mind being so bombproof.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools