Topic

Quest for T shirt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Quest for T shirt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    jim logan
    BPL Member

@jim_logan

I have worn an Icebreaker zip-neck tee for a couple of years with great satisfaction — I much prefer it to the Smartwool it replaced. The Icebreakers (I have two) were VERY scratchy when received and required several washings to de-scratchify them — and this from a guy who has for over twenty years touted wool as the true "miracle" fabric. I also wonder how much several washings affects the life-span of the shirts. These are wonderful and, for me, nearly four-season shirts. However, when very wet they stay very wet, which I re-learned this summer on a five-day trip.

I just succumbed to a sale and ordered an Acr'teryx Accelero Comp Shirt from Backcountry.com for 30% off — and it's still expensive. However, I thought I'd give it a try to see how it does especially in damp weather. With all the apparent choices, it is still not easy, especially living in very rural Maine with LL Bean's two hours away and better stores much farther away than that (think four hours to the Boston area); I rarely get to see things before buying them.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I usually just grab the shirt at the top of my drawer. But my favorite is a Rail Riders Eco Speed T.

Eco speed T

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Check out this Ibex t-shirt, says it's a regular fit: http://climbhigh.com/new-items/ibex-merino-logo-t.html

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I have an Icebreaker and Duluth Trading t shirt on order but the Ibex and Railrider are next on my list if these don't work out. I really liked the fit of the Minus 33 so I may give their lightweight version a try at some point in the future.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I've looked at most over the last few years and I like the Ibex Heather the best. Merino wool and a more regular fit.

b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

ive been through a few fabric types. ive had helly hansen synthetic that started to stink up after half a day, icebreaker merino that are good for several days, but at the moment im liking the rab meco 120 for odor control, fast dry and fit, and they come in some brighter colors that i like, check them out

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks for the input.

As an update, I received the Icebreaker shirt yesterday and found the fit to be identical to that of the Patagonia shirt I returned.

For full disclosure, I'm grizzly bear shaped, I normally wear an XL but prefer an XXL when hiking for the baggier fit. The Rebook shirt I have is a Poly blend and is baggy on me at XXL. As mentioned in the OP, it smells like roadkill after the first day.

So after ordering a few merino wool T shirts, here are the observations so far for a guy who normally wears an XL shirt around town:

Patagonia XXL was skin tight. The material felt lightweight and I didn't feel like I would overheat wearing it.

Icebreaker XXL was skin tight. The material felt lighter than that of the Patagonia shirt and seemed very breathable. The XXL was tight enough that I felt the XXXL won't work for me either.

Minus 33 XXL fits like an XL (which is acceptable to me) but I screwed up and ordered a mid weight instead of their lightweight. At some point in the near future I'll order their light weight to see if that will work for me. I tried to sell my mid weight on Gear Trader without success so I'm going to keep it as an extra layer for skiing.

The Ibex and Rab shirts are on deck for me to order. I'm saving the Minus 33 lightweight for last since I have a basic idea of the fit.

Regarding synthetics…

I've never purchased a synthetic shirt which has been treated with silver or any other anti odor treatment before. I ordered one from Duluth Trading which will hopefully arrive sometime next week and will try out on the Wonderland the following weekend.

Later this fall I'm going to order the Rail Riders Eco Speed T shirt Nick mentioned and the Rohan Ultra Silver Tee Colin is showing off in this thread: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=81040

I'm sure for many, this will seem like a lot of effort and money to dial in a T shirt. To me it's worth it seeing that this is a clothing item I'll wear on 100% of my backpacking trips and whenever I'm wearing body armor at work.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

We were still wearing woodland camo BDUs and issued cotton t shirts when I left the Army. I know that the GIs have access to better equipment now so I sent a couple guys who are still in an email to see what they suggest.

Edit: quick reply from a guy who was in the sandbox recently. I guess he was wearing Under Armor t shirts and just dealing with the funk.

Edit part deuce: One of the reviews on the Rail Riders Eco Speed T "Works extremely well underneath soft body armor; it's comfortable and it dries out quick. Also makes a good breathable base layer beneath a tactical uniform."

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

I'm a Vermonter, and we tend to be shameless Ibex fans…

I find Icebreaker's sizing to be incredibly frustrating; for any given garment I might be XS, S, or M. I don't order their stuff online unless it comes with free return shipping. Ibex's sizing has always been more consistent for me, and their wool is generally softer. You can wear it right out of the box without the several washes that Icebreaker seems to require now–their older stuff was never so stiff and scratchy.

Take a look at the U-Sixty tee from Ibex, or any of the 150-weight 18.5 micron shirts. the 17.5 micron stuff is insanely soft but heavier, probably too heavy for summer. The Woolies line has more of a fitted baselayer fit, while the U-Sixty is pretty casual. I really appreciate that Ibex stuff is styled so it doesn't scream tech-y. Nice to have something that is as good for work and travel as it is for hiking.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Check out Terramar Dri-Release t-shirts on STP. Inexpensive, dry fast, and have surprisingly good stink control for being 85% polyester. Fit runs a bit small. I got one of these for around 10 dollars almost a couple years ago. Still in great shape. Best thing about them is feel. They don't feel like a synthetic shirt but more like a cotton one. The primary poly fibers are intimately woven with the cotton and I assume from the feel that a good portion of the only 15% total content of cotton fibers are more on the outside.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks for the information Kate and Justin.

My Duluth Trading Co. shirt arrive today. Fit and comfort are great. I'm taking it out on its maiden voyage this weekend so I'll have an idea of how funk resistant it is then.

Thanks for the lead David. I've never heard of this company.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

I checked out the Duluth Trading "Buck Naked Performance " Nylon / Spandex shirt. It has an anti-microbial finish that will last for 30 washings. Duluth was unable to tell me what sort of anti-microbial finish it was.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-underwear/83009.aspx

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Hi Delmar,

I don't know what the treatment is but based on my initial impressions, it works. I've only worn it for three days (rinsed the salt off of it once) but I there was no odor problem. We'll see how it does a year from now but I like it enough that I'm going to order more for work.

Steve Davis
    BPL Member

@stevendavisphoto

Locale: SF Bay Area

i use a columbia shirt. i just bought a silk shirt off hikelight.com but its SUPER tight and see thru. looks super gay. returning it.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Dudes!
    It's not the T shirt that stinks… it's YOU !

Take a bath once in a while and problem solved :)

Bill D.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Dri-Release is another technology to consider to combat odor. It blends about 85% synthetic with 15% cotton, and still evaporates water quickly. Found in lots of products, used by OR, Bean, North Face, Marmot, Ex Officio, Terramar, and others.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"looks super gay."

Meaning it's really colorful? Or it throws great parties? Or perhaps it talks with a lisp? I know, I know, all the women really dig it, but only as a friend….

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"It's not the T shirt that stinks… it's YOU !"

True but I am nose deaf to my own funk. My old shirt somehow made things worse.

david
    Spectator

@davidvcd

deleted since it's not available anymore.

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools