Topic

Quest for T shirt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Quest for T shirt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Currently I have a synthetic Rebook t shirt which is a great fit and does a reasonably good job of moisture management. The only perceivable downside is that after the first 24 hours on the trail it/I smell like @$$ flavored corn chips.

I then proceeded to purchase a Patagonia merino wool t shirt from Backcountry.com. The material is excellent and doesn't itch at all. The only problem is that (I can only assume) some tool with narcissistic personality disorder (probably worked for Abercrombe and Fitch in a prior life) thought it would be great to make them skin tight. That would be awesome if I was sporting six pack abs but I ain't.

I then read reviews about Minus 33 and ordered one off of Amazon. Fit is great and wears like a normal T shirt. The only problem is that it's four times heavier than the Patagonia merino wool T shirt and I thought I was going to overheat while standing in an air conditioned house. Threw that shirt in with the rest of my ski gear.

Of the three options, I'm good with smelling like @$$ flavored corn chips but I'm still on the prowl for a new t shirt.

Can someone please point me towards a t shirt which:

1) is merino wool (or doesn't smell like holy hell after the first day)
    2) fits like a normal t shirt
    3) is light weight

EDIT: I mistakenly ordered a mid weight Minus 33 shirt when I should have ordered a lightweight.

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

I have been on the same quest. Got the Minus33, but dang it's HOT! Mine went into the winter closet also. Ibex tends to be thinner but I have no idea how the fit is, and the weave tends to be striped. Haven't sprung for one of those yet.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Yeah I missed that about the Minus 33 shirt when I was researching it. I guess the whole "Minus 33" should have been a clue. I've already invested > $90 and still haven't found a winner so I'm a little gun shy about ordering the next without better end user reviews.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

BPL reviews seem to indicate that Icebreaker Tech T Lite shirts have become more of a relaxed fit and now run true to size. Anyone who's purchased one recently care to weigh in on this?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Have you tried a polyester/cotton blend? I find that they dry fast enough and don't smell too bad.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I heard that if you wear cotton while backpacking you'll surely die!

All joking aside I haven't but I'll look into it. I don't dispute that there are better materials than cotton but that's what we were issued in the military years ago.

Any particular brand you'd recommend?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I've used these around town, in the gym and on the trail:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-underwear/83009.aspx

"Diamond-knit 93% nylon/7% spandex for lightweight stretch and support
    Wicks away sweat to keep you drier, cooler
    Antimicrobial treatment to stop stink"

quick dry, not heavy or overly warm at all. While traveling, I can wash in a hotel sink and dry them overnight. At $24 each, they aren't expensive like outdoor and high-performance sports wear. Duluth Trading does quality work clothes, mostly, but some of their synthetic undies and shirts have BPing applications.

Their trademark cotton t-shirt promises to end "plumbers butt" by being 3" longer. Those of us with Irish ancestry (short legs, long torsos), find them handy even when not swinging a pipe wrench under the kitchen sink.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I hear you- I have also found that most Merino wool shirts are made to be "form fitting" which isn't desired or flattering on all bodies (such as mine). I order mine 2 sizes larger to counter that, then it fits like a normal shirt.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I'm still on the prowl for a merino wool t shirt but I ordered one from Duluth Trading. Wearing body armor creates a unique brand of funk; when it starts to smell like roast beef I send it through the car wash. We can get a poly blend shirt from our uniform distributor but they don't help with the funk.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Going a size or two large may be what I have to do Dena. I see that Icebreaker goes pretty large if you order from directly from them so I'm pondering that as an option.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Smartwool and Icebreaker both seem to be a boxier "American" fit but may be short in length (in all fairness I have a long torso and short legs). My Ibex experience is that its more of an athletic "Euro" fit, which seems to also be true for Patagonia base layers and anything in their alpine line. IO Bio is also more of an athletic fit.

The problem isn't that things don't run "true to size". The problem is the vanity sizing the fashion industry likes to use. Today's medium would've been a large or even an extra-large a few decades ago. Measure the waist of your favorite pair of jeans and it'll be anywhere from 2-4" larger than the numeric sizing would otherwise indicate.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks for the input Chris.

I think this product review has sold me on Icebreaker:

YouTube video

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Thanks for the reminder, Ian.

I had to look for my military issue green cotton t-shirt.

–B.G.–

Bruce Whittle

@bwhittle

Locale: Midwest

I have also been on the quest for a non-stinky shirt. At Philmont a little over a month ago, I took 2 shirts to try, an Under Armour heat gear shirt and an Icebreaker wool T-shirt. I started with the AA (it was a loose fit shirt but in my normal size). I made it through 6 days wearing the same shirt and never switched to the Icebreaker – I was surprised and amazed. And… it was even an olive green color and not some bright neon. I certainly did not have the same experience with synthetic shirts in the past, especially with Columbia shirts. Best thing is that the AA shirts are only about $20 and dry quickly. I think my search is over!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Ibex U-Sixty T Shirt

Regular Fit
    150 g/SM Merino Wool (very light and then)
    No Stink
    Made in USA

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

Cute video. Made me laugh! :-0

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Ian I own several Icebreaker shirts and like them very much,but now that I have seen the video you posted a link to I have to run out and buy more!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I just ordered an Icebreaker t shirt from Backcountry along with the synth shirt from Duluth trading company.

Thanks all

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Locale: PacNW

Icebreaker Tech T Lites are great. Fit like all my regular shirts, soften up nicely after 1 wash, no funky athletic techy design cues or stitching, just a solid true to size lightweight 100% merino shirt.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ian,

Another + for Icebreaker Tech Ts. Mine are not form-fitting but are a little more athletic-cut than many standard t-shirts. I don't like big baggy sleeves so I like the cut of the IBs. I bought both of mine on sale online, waiting until I found a decent sale price before buying. They are expensive at full price.

Btw, thanks for ruining my dinner. My wife made a wonderful a$$-flavored corn chip casserole and now I can only think of you after a day of sweaty hiking.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Btw, thanks for ruining my dinner. My wife made a wonderful a$$-flavored corn chip casserole and now I can only think of you after a day of sweaty hiking."

Heh heh! My work here is done!

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

somewhat tight shirts actually allow for better wicking, and moisture management …

the latest BPL article on "tights" speak to this …

;)

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Gotta feeling you are going to be PO'd with the Tech T fit if you were not thrilled with the Patagonia Merino 1."

Crap. Well I might be out some more postage. It's nice to know that the Icebreaker goes up to XXXL so at some point I'm going to find the size that fits (or find myself crying on the toilet eating ice cream).

The Scuba Steve fit of the Patagonia shirt was pretty hopeless and I gave up on it quickly. The pictures/videos I've seen of the Icebreaker Ts seem to be closer to a normal fitting T shirt but I guess it's between athletic and normal.

I could try and become an athlete but who am I kidding?

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I am a men's xl and love my Ibex Merino Wool T and Echo Zip T. Both are on sale at Ibex.Com. I run in the Merino T in warm weather and hike with Echo Zip T all summer. The fit is generous and very comfortable.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools