Topic

Need advice for a backpacking chair: fabric

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Need advice for a backpacking chair: fabric

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I am tinkering around with a light-weight backpacking chair design. I have the struts figured out but I know nothing about fabrics or sewing. I am looking for advice on:

1) What would be the easiest material to work with at the prototype stage and
    2) What would be a good, lightweight, strong material for the final product

I am thinking that the chair would need to be able to support ~250 pound person. I haven't figured out the exact weigh goal yet but I am thinking in the 10 oz and under range. Best regards, Jon

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

I don't have answers for you—but my wife will sign up to be your first customer!

Bogs and Bergs

@islandized

Locale: Newfoundland

Landscaping fabric? Very light, strong, and easy to cut and either sew or glue. Cheap, too, if you want a lot to play with for prototyping.

There are various weights out there, thick shiny 'professional' grade down to no-name hardware store brands.

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

this stool has, I believe, something like a 400 D fabric and it is listed at 10 oz.
    I got mine below 9 oz with some scissor work.

Might get some ideas from it??

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I like your specs for intended load capacity!

I've noted that the new versions of the REI 3-leg stool now use a burly mesh in the center of the seat and weigh very slightly less than the older, rip-stop versions. A few of my Scouts have them and I think the mesh is great for those times when the stool gets rained on…plus it saves a gram or two. So, my suggestion is that you go check out those stools to see whether that style of construction and materials will, uh…"mesh" with your needs.

Cheers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools