Topic

MYOG down quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG down quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Saunders
    Spectator

@boulderman

Locale: Front Range

This is my first attempt at a down quilt. I used M50 from Thru-Hiker, standard Gutermann polyester thread, and 8 ounces of 850 down and no-seeum (for 1" baffles) from Wilderness Logics. I relied heavily on the Lytw8 design and others who have posted here.

I decided to go with a sewn footbox because I find that I never open up my other quilts (JRB), so might as well save a tiny bit of weight and hassle. I went with the envelope-style footbox as opposed to the cinch-down type because it seemed to retain just a little bit more room side-to-side (which I like) and didn't lose as much length. The quilt is 50" wide at the top, and has a half-taper to 42" at the bottom (before sewing the footbox shut).

I'm quite happy with the results, and will try it out tomorrow night!

Quilt spread open

Closed

Corner detail

In the bag

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

Looks great. Congratulations.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Great looking quilt, Daniel. You forgot the most important thing though, how much does it weigh! You know that's all we really care about here :D

I just got the material to make a 2.5oz Apex quilt, I'm hoping to work on it this weekend. Making gear sure is fun, isn't it?

Adam

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

the envelope is a nice way to do a sewn foot. The only thing i don't like is the corners poking out, drives me nuts :)I was surprised the first time i made one this way how much room there is in there. Its nice not to have your feet touching all the time and on your side to not have to stack them if you don't want to. I'm a big fan, except those "ears" just kill me every time.

-Tim

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Tim,

I struggled with the ears on myog backpacks for years. They just don't look cool so I would box the corners of the pack bag.

I finally quit boxing the corners, however, after I realized that the internal foam pad for my packs fit better with an envelope shaped bag complete with ears.

You have to deal with customers and "fashion" to some extent so things are more complicated for you than me.

I like the double meaning of these words, by the way. "Watch out for Tim, he's a tough dude and he might box your ears."

Daryl

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

I'm actually coming out with a quilt like this soon but I cut the ears off Tyson style. Bite and rip!

-Tim

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Daniel, The quilt looks great. I always appreciate hearing when the LytW8 instructions have helped someone.

Thanks,
    Jamie

Daniel Saunders
    Spectator

@boulderman

Thanks for all the comments!

Adam – I finally weighed it and it is 13.85 oz (approx. 8 oz down, 5.4 oz shell/baffles, apparently .45 oz for grosgrain, cord & cordlocks)

Tim – after trying it out last night, I too really dig the envelope footbox for the space. I thought about boxing the corners too, but figured I'd keep it simple. It looks like a mermaid..er, merMAN fin…

Jamie – your design helped out a lot! Thanks for posting it.

I used the quilt last night on a quick overnighter to some nearby mountain lakes. The temp only got down to a breezy 43 degrees, and I was in an enclosed hammock (Clark NX-250), and I was very toasty.

Inside hammock:

Inside hammock

I know some people don't like how M50 feels, but I didn't mind it at all.

View from hammock this morning:

view

I took my brother in law for his first night in a hammock, and he tried my Warbonnet Ridgerunner.

Ridgerunner

I gave him the best view:

view

Overall the quilt worked great and I'm happy I made it.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

Could you guys explain this envelope style footbox concept? Pictures would be great. I can sort of guess what this is all about but I'd love to see real world example of what it looks like. Maybe the OP could show off some more of his handiwork ;)?

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Deleted

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Deleted

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Sorry guys, having some posting issues here! This should be the last duplicate post

Daniel Saunders
    Spectator

@boulderman

Derek – Sorry, I'm away from home and can't take any pics. The footbox is made simply by sewing the two sides together from the bottom to about 24" from the bottom (or however high you want the footbox to go), then sewing across the bottom to connect front to back. This is done with the quilt inside-out. Clear as mud, I'm sure, but it's pretty simple. I sewed the M50 first, then reinforced it with grosgrain.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Daniel,
    Is there a "cold spot" at the seam where the top and the bottom of the quilt meet? It sounds like you just sew the top and bottom together, if I'm interpreting this correctly, which would mean there is an uninsulated seam there. I'm just wondering if this has any negative impact in real life use. Thanks!

Daniel Saunders
    Spectator

@boulderman

Yes, it is an uninsulated seam. It has the potential to be a cold spot, but I've never felt it (with my other quilts that cinch up – they also have the potential cold spot)

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

I'd love to hear how warm your feet stay when it gets close to the quilt rating.

My envelope has a baffle connecting the ends allowing loft at the seam but if its not needed these could be made much faster.

-Tim

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools