Topic

Best Beginner Tarp/Bivy Combo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best Beginner Tarp/Bivy Combo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

I am looking for a the most idiot proof tarp system that employs HIKING poles (note: correction). And a bivvy bag. I would love to find a short bivy bag to fit a short sleeping bag (sleeper is 5'5" and 112 lbs)…this may be a reason to get into DIY!

And…I want it now!

Any ideas?

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Borah bivy, they will do custom work afaik.

Tarp, how light do you want to go? Cuben $200 for a Hexamid or Borah sells some flat silnylon tarps.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I would suggest a silnylon tarp over cuben.

Cuben is much harder to get a tight pitch vs. silnylon, which has some give in the material.

You just have to remember to give your guy lines a tug before you go to bed because silnylon sags in the presence of moisture.

What was tight like a drum when you first rolled into camp will sag as the temps drop and the fabric sags.

That said, once that has happened, re-tighening the guylines will take care of you through the rest of the night.

I am partial to Ron's work at Mountain Laurel Designs products.

Medium sized tarp that you can pitch as a simple A Frame should cover you.

Also check out Ron's bivy bags….a good size tarp matched with the superlight bivy will do you fine.

If you are a side sleeper or use a thick sleeping pad like a Neo Air, you might want to go for the Large option to give you more room to move around and for the thickness of your sleeping pad.

Ask for pole tip grommets to be installed on your tarp.

They make pitching the tarp really easy with poles.

I think that Ron offers light weight poles for setting up a tarp if you don't use trekking poles.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I am 5'6" and have a regular size bivy. The extra space is nice to have so you have room to store your gear in the head section of the bivy, above your head while sleeping. Always nice to be able to grab extra clothing and stuff in the middle of the night while inside your bivy.

Tony

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Beginner > Just get a silnylon 8×10 tarp and a decent bivy and make a tub shape ground cloth out of tyvek.

Have seen a lot of bivys FS here in the last few days at around $100.
    Just pick one of those up and cut it down if you dont like the length.

I would skip the tent poles and use Hiking poles.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Duomid plus Borah bivy made to size. It doesn't use tent poles. For an easy up tent pole "tarp", think about the Tarptent Moment DW and leave the inner at home.

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

+1 Troy

Troy is on the right track. Simple, fairly inexpensive and easy resale if you don't like the set up.

Borah Bivy and Bearpaw Wilderness tarp.

$200 or less and fairly quick.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

I started off with a 18oz 8'x10' silnylon tarp in 2007. I latter added added a Titanium Goat bivy. It wasn't even a year before I wanted to replace the tarp with something lighter and smaller and ended up buying an expensive MLD cuben fiber solo tarp in 2008. After I lost my bivy sack in 2009 (fell off when I slide down a slope in snow), I replaced it with a more breathable one from MLD. I'm still using that MLD tarp and bivy sack even though its been several years used them. I used them on a PCT thru-hike and the 600 northern miles of the AT. MLD makes some nice quality stuff.

If you just want to learn tarping, find a silnylon one in a price range you like. If you like tarping, you can always get a more expensive lighter one later. Titanium Goat makes a nice bivy for the price and weight. It's not as breathable as MLD's (means more condensation issues but cuts cold wind better), but its cheaper.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

As far as idiot proof, a light tent can be lighter than a tarp and bivy combo and more comfortable.

Here's my thinking: tarps need more care in site selection and positioning, as in which way will the wind and rain come from. Something to consider :)

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Our get a 8oz net tent and pair it with a 4 ounce tarp. Double walled shelter for 12oz.

Lou Z
    BPL Member

@lugee

Locale: Southern California

My vote is on the Borah Bivys. We have two in our gear closet now. We tried the MSRs and REI branded ones and never liked them as much as the Borahs.

– –
    BPL Member

@hflege

Joe S
    BPL Member

@threeridges

John West can do any option you want, and is fast and priced very reasonable. Would recommend M90 over M50 for better breathability, if that's a word.

Craig Hensley
    Spectator

@jchens

Locale: North GA

Like everyone is saying, Borah and Bearpaw are great places to turn for a tarp and bivy. They make good stuff and you will be able to stay on the less expensive side of the spectrum. Stay simple with a square or rectangular tarp. You can move on to something else from there, but lots of folks never do.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Wanted to correct/update one reply – nothing is 12 weeks out. Tarps are shipping in a couple of weeks if not sooner and in general most all items are all shipping a bit faster than the current posted times on the MLD Homepage. Thanks!

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

Hartley, PM'd you about a borah set up

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'll echo that MLD stuff is worth the wait (weight!); only you can decide how long you are willing or able to wait for a new shelter. Also, because you dislike non-adjustable poles and use 110cm poles, you should pay attention to recommended pole-height for any shelter you're looking at. I think (could be wrong) that many have a slightly higher recommended height starting around 120cm+, especially for the main pole in the center or front of a shelter. An exception would be "standard" A-frame cat or flat tarps where the rear pole is often set lower. Any shelter set very low and without a zippered entrance is going to be harder to get in and out of.

For ease, look at a MLD SoloMid or DuoMid, the MLD Patrol Shelter or Yama Mtn Cirriform Tarp. Any of these would pair well with a bivy and all have net-tents you could add later.

Good luck!

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

John, got it. Responded to email contained in message! THANK YOU!

Thanks Steven for the heads up on pole length. I gave the Hilleberg Rajd (HEAVY) a try. Yeah, it's not a tarp! I ordered a pair of BD Women's Distance FL Z-poles…they adjust from 105 to 120, if I remember correctly, to accommodate it. These poles have a good locking mechanism. This set up seemed to be the worst of both the tent and tarp world, especially since I only need a solo shelter. It all went back. (Like I said, I am a beginner!)

Over the years, i have used telescoping LEKI poles (usually the more expensive ones) — they shorten on me too often and I have to take my gloves off to tighten the fiddly mechanisms. I'm sure, it's not just me. When I do get them tight enough to hold, I have a hard time loosening them to store or shorten. I started using the BD Z pole last summer and I love it! (As others have mentioned, I would avoid the Distance UL for anything other than trail running when it is nice to be able to trot along holding poles horizontally in the middle. I quickly broke one with little force…snapped at a joint.)

Dale, I agree, the idiot proof option is a tent! And that's where I am at the moment.

I would like the versatility of sleeping in the bivy bag alone or using it with a tarp. Bivy bag can be useful in damp or not well sealed shelters. Tarp can be quickly erected during day for protection for elements. Or just wrapped around the body. Easier to just stuff it all in the pack and be off. Even for a given weight, I think there are situations where I would rather have a tarp and bivy than a tent…provided I can figure out what to do with them!

I think I need a tarp with the lines and tensioners attached. Idiot proof costs extra, I'm afraid. I am not necessarily interested in buying something cheap to test the concept. I am convinced of the concept! I would prefer to read about the ins and outs, look at photos, watch videos, check out shelters on the trail, etc. Then buy it and make it work…or send it back (where this is an option)! There will be a learning curve for sure. I would prefer to spend less than more, of course, all else being equal!

Reading more great things about MLD. The line looks impressive. Thanks Ron for the update…glad business is going so well!

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

I'm currently waiting for my MLD Silnylon Pro Poncho and Superlight Bivy. That said my philosophy is slightly different than yours in that: 1. I don't mind a little complexity i.e. no line-locks, for improved versatility in pitching options. 2. I used fixed length trekking poles and a clove hitch around the handle seems to work just fine, and if there is a tree or two I can effectively utilize, even better 3. If your willing to put the tarp on in inclement weather, why not a poncho tarp?

MLD Pro Poncho tarp and bivy are less than $400 easily (not the cheapest) depending on selected options. (I'm a big boy so my stuff is heavier and costs more, always). It seemed like the best way to go for me. Especially after reading so many thru-hikers using this combo effectively. I was convinced, plus who can resist MLD?

Good luck on your quest, and let us know what you decide to go with.

Thanks,
    James

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

"…this may be a reason to get into DIY!"

Hartley, If you can sew then making a tarp and bivy are extremely easy. Here is a link that shows examples of my projects. If you scroll down to the "bivy" you will find a link to instructions I put together. A good number of people have used it to make bivy's so it is a repeatable design.

LytW8.commy_gear

Also I provide instructions for making a cuben tarp. For a first tarp I would suggest using silnylon to save money and practice. Making a square tarp 5" x 8" is about as simple a sewing project there is.

If you decide to go down this road and want any help or suggestions on where to buy materials just PM me.

Jamie

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

If your poles don't adjust here is a trick that works for tarps (not tents). Wrap some Gorilla tape around the pole at the length you want to pitch the tarp at. Just wrap the guyline around the pole above that Gorilla tape and stake it out. It worked for me when one of my adjustable poles was sticking.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I just got mine yesterday in the mail. I got the cuben version. I have set it up a bunch of times already today, and I am going to do it a bunch more tonight in the dark. This tarp is amazing. Personally, I think its a palace. The options to pitch it hi up off ground or low and tight to the ground really make it a sweet set up I can make the adjustments from inside without going out to do it. If I have it pitched hi and during the night the weather turns on me, I can lower it and batten down the hatches without stepping foot from under it. That in itself makes it great. It's also spacious inside for me and all my gear..to stay dry. I can sit up no problem..I am 5 ft 10 and I weigh about 235lbs. Of course if I pitch it low and tight to ground then I cant really sit up as much..but chances are I'd be laying down resting, reading maps or sleeping…so I'm fine with it. As for dureability, well I can't comment on that, but plenty of people have the patrol shelter and I have not read or heard any bad things about it..time will tell for me personally. I plan on useing it with my Bear Paw Wilderness bug bivy. The patrol with guy lines, stakes and sack weighs 8 ounces and the bivy weighs 9 ounces..so I got myself a perfect setup that weighs just 17 ounces. Sure I could have gone lighter..but this is what I wanted and needed and it looks like its gonna be a keeper for a long time.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools