Topic

MD, VA, PA, and WV small stream fly fishing?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara MD, VA, PA, and WV small stream fly fishing?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I did a great trip in the Sierras and really enjoyed fishing the small streams along the trail. It was fun catching oodles of small trout. I'd be interested in good destinations for that kind of fishing/hiking in the mid Atlantic region. Shenandoah National park sounds like a good destination for that. Can anyone suggest others within a half day drive from Baltimore.

Maryland destinations would have the advantage of not requiring an expensive non resident license since it is my home state.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

If you hike the Old Loggers Path (near Ralston in north-central PA) clockwise you'll have two campsites roughly 10 miles apart right on trout streams. The first will be on Pleasant Stream and the second on Rock Run.

I don't fish, but they're both listed on some fishing sites I've seen. PM me if you'd like more info.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

Thanks. That sounds like a good suggestion. I have actually hiked the OLP before and enjoyed it pretty well. I wasn't really in to fishing at the time so I didn't even think about fishing there. I'll add it to my list of hikes to look into.

Dean L
    Spectator

@aldoleopold

Locale: Great Lakes

Some of the small feeder streams in the New River Gorge have trout, they are under-fished. You can walk old gravel roads that parallel the river and disperse camp. Also bass in the main stream can take a fly.

I once caught a 2# brookie somewhere in WV. That is all you need to know. ;)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools