Topic

Smokies temperature in September?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Smokies temperature in September?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Jacobs
    Spectator

@bwjacobs

I've booked shelters / sites in the smokies for the first week of September but am having a tough time finding good temperature data beyond Clingman's Dome (which my hunch says is not indicative of the rest of the range). Any good general resources for historic weather in this area, or anecdotes from trips around a similar time? Tuning in my final gear list and trying to make calls about which bag to bring, leaving puffy / rain skirt at home, etc. Any insight appreciated.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Ben,

I'm doing a Smokies trip in September too. Clingman's Dome is the highest elevation, but there are other similar elevations across the AT and the other northeastern ridge. I would look at temps between what you see there and in Gatlinburg, Tn.

Generally, September is pretty nice. I plan on bringing a 30 degree quilt. I would definitely take your rain gear including your skirt. If you're in the Smokies very long, you're likely to see rain. I will probably bring a light puffy, but I think a fleece would be fine too.

Have fun.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

This might help as far as the range: http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/weather.htm

Benjamin Jacobs
    Spectator

@bwjacobs

Thanks, Ben – that's more helpful than what I've found elsewhere. Was hoping to be able to leave some of that at home based on the Gatlinburg temps I'd seen, but… better safe than sorry. Looks like I'll be good with a 35 degree bag + Montbell UL parka.

Have a great hike!

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

I did a Smokies hike last September and found the valleys to be very pleasant and very comfortable at night. I spent the last night on a ridge just below Clingman's Dome and a storm blew in. I spent a very cold night in a shelter using a quilt where the down had shifted to the sides and I didn't catch it. Put on every stitch of clothing to stay warm. So just be prepared for huge variations in temperature and wind.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools