Topic

Hammock Forum down. Moderators quit.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Hammock Forum down. Moderators quit.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Anyone else follow this?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

That's too bad. I started there and migrated here once I learned that hammocks were going to be a no-go on the Wonderland Trail. Hopefully someone will bring it back from the dead.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

They got so big so fast over there.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Site is up for me. Thread here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77919

True to HF form, it is the most polite drama you will ever see.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Shawn Peyton
    BPL Member

@alifeoutdoors

Locale: Iron River, WI

Wow I'm shocked. That's a shame, I've never met a more passionate online community. Sounds like the "owner" of the site is trying to now make some money off it?

Eddy Walker

@ewker

Locale: southeast

The owner of Hammock Forums is also the owner of White Blaze. Lets hope it doesn't go down that road

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

The shut down was temporary, but the moderators did step down.
    It is going to be an interesting change.
    I learned a lot about hammocking and it has changed how I backpack.
    I have also benefitted greatly from the support and business that I have received through Hammock Forum. The kind words toward me and my products have touched me on several occasions.
    A lot of generous and kind people on HF and BPL.

Craig “Pisco” Gulley
    BPL Member

@cgulley

Locale: Midwest

the site is still down for me and has been all day

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Works for me..

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Site works for me.

So the moderators are volunteers. Not employees. So the business owner, let's face it HF is a business, doesn't want them to know the financial situation anymore. His choice as owner.
    Sounds like here. I don't think they have the right to know what happens with the money the site makes.

If they had a membership/contract that promised that kind of info and it was not delivered, well.. Oh wait that was here too.

Phillip Damiano

@phillipsart

Locale: Australia

I have not been able to open the hammock forum for the past day and a half.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I just opened their website no problem.

mark henley

@flash582

Try clearing your cookies

Eddy Walker

@ewker

Locale: southeast

The site is up and working today. The owner of HF posted this last night

Last night the SSL certificate for the web site became unattached the web site after the midnight server upgrade. If you were on when this happened last night and still had the same problem this morning then that message was probably still stored in your browser cache. You would have needed to clear your browser cache. I have temporarily turned off the midnight upgrade for now so that this will not happen again.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

I totally get lost on the forum. I looked at my membership stats after hearing about this situation, I think I was the 380th member and 70 of even earlier members had posted in the last year. With 25,000 registered it is overwhelming. I mostly check the For Sale thread, but items are claimed in seconds, even if they don't fit or are above retail price, so I have nearly quit checking that. There are too many threads about "I just ordered my new tarp and I can't wait", "The Fed Ex truck left a mysterious brown box on my porch, wonder what could be inside", "I just spent my first night in a hammock", "I learned how to sew discount 1.1 ripstop and silnylon seconds on my $99 Brother sewwing machine from Wally World and am starting my own company named "Whoopie Whoopie Birds and the CopyCat". Glad it's back up though, if there is some technical hammock thing I want to research about how to use 12 tarp tensioners to tangle up my lines it's on there.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

HF Too big, too fast.

Don't forget we do have a greatly underutilized hammock forum right here.

Excellent post Tom.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools