Topic

Looking For New 3 Season Shelter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking For New 3 Season Shelter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Idan Y
    BPL Member

@idanz

Hey guys,
    After much reading in the background I decided to take step forward and be a part of this great community. That's my first post so have some mercy :-)

I need your help picking the best shelter setup for me. Till now I used BA-Copper Spur II which was very luxurious but way too heavy for solo use.

I'm looking for do-it-all 3 season shelter (Mainly for upcoming hikes in Georgie and (hopefully) 2014 PCT thru hike).
    The things I want to have in a shelter:
    1) Easy&fast setup (low minimum stakes required, tarp&inner can setup together).
    2) 2 Walls (primarily to manage condensation issues & versatility)
    3) Privacy (in form of a door extended beak)
    4) Maximum weight of 25oz~ (Including everything except stakes&poles)
    5) Have enough space for a Neoair Xlite Large & some gear (squeezing a partner in emergency situations is a bonus)
    6) budget: 400$~ (prefer less, of course)
    (tell me if I got things wrong, maybe I need to consider other things?)

When researching I found 2 options which caught my eye:

MLD Duomid Cuben & MLDBPWD Inner: looks like an ultimate setup. I thought asking in Gear Swap if anyone wish to sell so it will fit the budget.

Tarptent Notch: It's cheap and looks promising. Wish it had a little bigger bathtub.

So, what you say? are those good options or I need to check other setups?
    any recommendations and help would be appreciated, thanks!

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Duomod and Notch are both nice. I would also look at the Six Moon Designs Trekker.

–mark

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Do check out the zpack hexmid shelters. Your issues about management of condensation are probably not too relevant for hexamids.

Not sure generally what your reasoning on the need for a two-wall shelter for "management of condensation". I think most people on here might claim the opposite is true. Versatility of a 2-wall shelter seems less to me. You should think about how you will handle the "worst case" scenario, of extended rain and high humidity, possibly slightly cold. The reasoning can be extended to other single-wall shelters, but if you can reasonably well handle with equanimity occasionally losing the battle and having condensation in fact running down the inside the tarp then you should be fine in most conditions.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Idan Y
    BPL Member

@idanz

thanks for the replay!
    The Trekker really looks like a good choice: cheap, durable and generous inner space. added to my list. seems like it beats the Notch in every aspect except vestibules space and stake count (4 against 5).
    Mark – The Hexamids condensation management (especially with the netting) looks interesting. But is it really working when needed ? Durability is another question.
    btw- Dont you think that sleeping with inner only in warm nights is a great benefit from 2 wall tents?

Charlie Murphy
    BPL Member

@baltocharlie

Locale: MAryland

Hexamids tend not to have much condensation issues if properly set-up. Since you are spending much of your time on the east coast, humidity and skeeters will be a hassle. I own a hexamid tarp/tent(east coast) with no bug netting. Excellent choice for most of my needs along w/ bivy sack(Borah). However this system does not do well when humidity gets high and insects swarm. I plan to buy the new Hex bug netting to go along with my system.

You want privacy, humidity and insect control: Have you looked into Lightheart tents?
    http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=15

I almost bought one as it seems to be one of the best for our conditions. I decided against it because I try to get away from our local conditions and wanted a lighter option, thus the Hexamid. I really hate humidity and skeeters.

John Davis
    BPL Member

@jcd

Locale: Southeast

If you haven't checked them out take a look at Yama Mountain Gear. Specifically their Ciriform line. The Terraform is a great tent set up as well. The owner Gen is very responsive and helpful if you want to contact him.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

+1 on the Lightheart as a good all-purpose option.

I love tarps and use one whenever bugs aren't an issue but not a fan of bivies or net inners. My Lightheart is the heaviest of my solo shelters (27oz seam sealed) but it's just so easy to use. I can't fit a second person though (and I'm a 5'2" woman.) In fact, I also have a Tarptent Contrail for when my dog is with me.

Idan Y
    BPL Member

@idanz

Thanks again, your answers are really appreciated!

The Lightheart is too heavy, so i have to pass on that one.

The Yama Cirriform is also interesting – like an upgraded Contrail. couldn't find much reviews on that one, especially on the DW version. anyone?

Some questions about the Hexamid: what is the minimal stake amount required in order to pitch it? am I being wrong looking on the Twin size instead of SoloSolo-Plus? I think the duel poles will handle windy situation better.

I'm dropping the Notch because of small bathtub size.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Here is a side by side comparison of the Contrail and Yama Mountain Cirriform with a video,and here is a blog post and video of Stick setting up his Cirriform the first time.Stick has a number of blog posts and videos on the Hexamid here are some listed from his newest and going back
    This is an overview of different posts and videos of the Hexamid that he has done starting over a year ago before Joe started taping the seams ,so keep that in mind.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Hexamid twin used 8 stakes. The strategy for dealing with high winds with a tarp is to pitch low with smaller angles. From that perspective I think the solo hexamids would be better in crazy wind. But no personal experience yet with the kind of wind I'm talking about. I started a thread a while back, but no one had experience 60 mph winds in them.In plain old wind the twin is fine however. The twin has a huge amount of space and headroom for only about 18 oz for everything including added peak, stakes and groundsheet. I use hiking poles so the ability to use then with the twin is very attractive to me. If you don't I think that is a small negative. Not having to carry extra poles that only serve as tent poles and nothing else is golden.

Idan Y
    BPL Member

@idanz

Link – thanks for the links. it's much clearer now after Stick's videos.
    I don't think i'll like the door location on the Yama's.

Mark – you are right about the poles. Now that i think of it – setup will be even faster with one pole and lower total weight (when not taking poles).

So, it comes to Hexamid Solo Plus and MLD Duomid Cuben with inner.
    before I start searching on gear swap, can anyone recommend a good inner for the Duomid? something around 10 oz, with enough space for Neoair Xlite L?

thanks again everyone!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools