Topic

Brooks Range Propel 2D, worth 270.00?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Brooks Range Propel 2D, worth 270.00?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    warpig 602

@warpig602

Locale: Iowa/Arizona

Found one new for 270.00. Been contemplating replacing my MSR Zoid 1 with a freestanding tent. Anybody have any opinions. I generally dont use a tent for back packing and camping but have one in case of rain or adverse conditions. While I wasnt necessarily looking for a 4 season it seems reasonably light and compact and the 4 season rating is just a bonus to me.

So, up until yesterday I was on the hunt for BA Fly Creek UL2 or Seedhouse SL2 which i can find for 240ish. My only really requirements are that it be less than 3.5lbs and pack down to less than 6×20.

Thoughts?

Jeanine Taylor
    BPL Member

@jetaylor

Locale: Oregon

I had the same question when I saw this in the REI outlet. 20% off coupon ends today. Anyone have experience with this tent? (I've read Ray Estrella's review online).

warpig 602

@warpig602

Same here, I spent a few hours scouring for other reviews as well. Seems like Rays is the only one out there and his is for the Propel, not 2d, but close enough. It seems its based of the Rocket tent, albeit with different material. That tent got fairly good reviews. Seems like a lot of tent for the money.

I think im just going to buy it and give it a shot, worst case, I have 30 days to return it.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

How tall are you? I'm 5'8", and I think it's too short (at least the Rocket tent, which I had, was). The Rocket sloped a lot toward the foot end, so there was no real way to keep the bag from touching the shelter at the foot end. If you're a few inches shorter it would work well, I think.

warpig 602

@warpig602

6'5. It looks like the 2D(2 door i would imagine) doesnt taper off like the rocket. I guess I was more curious as to if the design is solid as well as the company.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Company is solid, been around awhile making good gear. Not the lightest, of course, but good, solid gear. Design of the Propel is good as well, don't see why the 2D wouldn't be fine, just a bit more fabric for the wind to grab, but it anchors well, and has plenty of anchor points. The vestibules are pretty good sized, which if the inside doors are left open can help with condensation issues.

Erik H
    BPL Member

@telemonster

Locale: pacific northwest

It looks like it could be a good tent, but I cant tell that there is any mesh on the doors at all, even checking the Brooks Range site. That could be a drag for summer use, during bug season.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I am fairly certain that it does not have mesh on the doors. Not completely certain, but fairly certain.

warpig 602

@warpig602

I was trying to figure out the same thing, Im also fairly certain there is no mesh. I think Im going to have to pass on this one. Guess it makes my decision between the tent and new Opsrey pack easier……Aether or Argon?

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

edited post.
    oops ..
    i read the orig memo wrong.

cheers,
    v.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Based off the Brooks website pics, the 2D seems to have solid fabric doors. Also the only real difference between the propel regular and 2D is the second door/vestibule. I would suspect the same comments/reviews apply to both tents.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=64887

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools