Topic

wtb: valve for the short half of my cut neoair

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear wtb: valve for the short half of my cut neoair

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

just cut my large neoair and resealed it. couldn't have been easier.

now for step 2…

where do i get a valve to make the short piece a custom neoair seat/inflatable pack frame?

anyone know where i can get one or two? anyone have any advice? i know people have done it, but can't find any threads spelling it out and i'm a very novice myog'er (although prolific gearswaper :-)

thanks in advance.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Thermarest sells a Valve Repair kit. "It includes HotBondâ„¢ adhesive and a high-flow replacement valve that installs in a snap." REI sometimes carries it, but most likely you'll have to buy one from their website.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/accessories/valve-repair-kit/product

If you do, also order their Fast & Light Repair kit for punctures at the same time. You're already paying for shipping. "Trail-ready kit makes speedy repairs easier than ever before. Self-adhesive patches make for quick and neat work without messy glues or long cure times. For use on all Therm-a-Rest mattresses except for Luxury Mapâ„¢, Luxury Camper and LE mattresses.

Kit includes: (3) Alcohol Prep Pads, (6) Glue Dotsâ„¢, and (3) Cover Patches"

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/accessories/fast-and-light-repair-kit/product

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

this is just the male adapter. anyone know where i can get a full replacement valve?

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Not readily available in small quantities sadly (I've done a ton of searching with not results yet). Still you may be able to to craft your own out of some kind of plastic, like a blank nylon block. Worth looking into at least.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

"this is just the male adapter. anyone know where i can get a full replacement valve?"

There is a female component? I don't have a thermarest pad to look at, by my understanding was that the male component was just bonded ("potted") into the seam. I've used these replacement valves to make MYOG inflatable sleeping pads, and I just bonded them into the seam. Bender (of now-defunct Kookabay) made all of his early pads this way, I think.

I'm actually stuck at the valve-selection stage of a MYOG inflatable sleeping pad project right now. More recently I've used Airtime kite bladder valves instead of Thermarest replacement valves because the kite valves are soft (less strain on surrounding fabric) and seem more durable. But the kite valves are bulky. I haven't found a commercially available alternative that is any better, though. So I'm making plans to fabricate my own valve. It will be time consuming, but I don't know any other way.

I once found an old inflatable sleeping pad from the 1980s at a garage sale that had two valves that were just like Exped's valves: flat and rubbery. They were perfect. I bought the pad for $1, cut the valves out, and used them for an MYOG pad that I later gave to a friend. I wish I could find more like those.

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

I have a bunch of valves like these (the ones I have are not Halkey Roberts but they look the same)that I would be willing to sell. They are PU valves so they work with TPU coated heat sealable fabric.

http://www.halkeyroberts.com/products/inflation/inflation-closures/closure-and-flow-check-valve.aspx

The problem for most folks with either the seam mounted or even flat mounted sleeping pad valves is that they require dies to ensure a solid secure seal to the fabric. I used the flat mounted style on the inflatable floor for a boat project we have been working on.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=641705465854360&set=a.641705442521029.1073741825.123242724367306&type=1&theater

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Marc, I would be interested in buying 4-5 of your TPU valves. I'll send you a PM.

Also, the panel/seam design of that boat in the facebook photo in the link you posted is clever. I've never seen one like that.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Whoa…I just noticed the caption in that photo. The boat weighs 11 ounces? I don't want to drive this thread off topic, but I would love to know how the boat achieves that weight (ie, is it a balloon-in-envelope design?).

My suggestion is to post a new thread in the gear forum just updating the BPL community about your recent projects and prototypes. I'm impressed with the innovative ideas that seem to be stirring in your shop. An update thread would be a good way to get people interested in Flyweight Designs.

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Thanks for the comments Colin. It is a new project that we are finalizing.

I also have to apologize. The red valves that I have are actually PVC, however, I was able to mount them to heat sealable TPU fabric as they are incorporated into our AirLyte drybags. I apologize for the confusion, I was mixing them up with the mattress valves we have.

For anyone that wants them I could probably sell the red valves for $1 a piece plus $2.50 in shipping. The shipping would probably be static for up to 10, but I would have to double check the weight before I fully commit to that.

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Colin,

The inflatable floor weighs approximately 11 oz. The boat w/o the inflatable floor weighs 3.5lbs.

Marc

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Thanks for that clarification, Marc.

David R.
    BPL Member

@orbitald

Hey, I saw this older thread and was wondering if anybody has had any luck with using the short end of a cut neoair xlite? I have one I want to cut down and thought I might use the short end for my dog if I could install a valve. I actually have a valve from another trashed neoair which I bought on craigslist that wont hold air. I could cut the valve out but I'm not sure how to seal it into the newer xlite short end. Thanks for any ideas / suggestions!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools